Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dune - players wanted for a very spicy evening

+4
SamVS
paulyg
JohnH
Tom_S
8 posters

Go down

Dune - players wanted for a very spicy evening Empty Dune - players wanted for a very spicy evening

Post  Tom_S Sat 11 Feb 2017, 11:07

(The game's about spice before people get entirely the wrong idea)

I've made a full print and play copy of Dune. Looks like this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/2712/dune-pnp-completed-warning-image-heavy

It plays 6 people and is an asymmetric area control game. There are tonnes of different rule variants but I think I've pulled together a rule book and customised player aids to hopefully make it flow. It can be between 2 and 6 hours but realistically we would probably curtail it a bit.

More than happy to try it on a Tuesday evening but I'm having difficulties in attending recently due to work schedules. So I was thinking more of a weekend day in the coming weeks.

It's 6 players. Anyone interested?

1. Moi
2. Loud Sam
Tom_S
Tom_S
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Dune - players wanted for a very spicy evening Empty Re: Dune - players wanted for a very spicy evening

Post  JohnH Sat 11 Feb 2017, 12:03

Tom_S wrote:(The game's about spice before people get entirely the wrong idea)

There are tonnes of different rule variants but I think I've pulled together a rule book and customised player aids to hopefully make it flow.

I see what you did there
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Dune - players wanted for a very spicy evening Empty Re: Dune - players wanted for a very spicy evening

Post  Tom_S Sat 11 Feb 2017, 16:50

JohnH wrote:
Tom_S wrote:(The game's about spice before people get entirely the wrong idea)

There are tonnes of different rule variants but I think I've pulled together a rule book and customised player aids to hopefully make it flow.  

I see what you did there

Yeah I was a bit pleased with myself with that one :p
Tom_S
Tom_S
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 13 Feb 2017, 09:23

Interested but have basically no free weekends until May, so if it goes well and you want to play again later in the year then I'd like to try at some point.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Mon 13 Feb 2017, 21:10

It's funny that Dune franchised both a pioneering videogame (in the RTS genre) and a pioneering board game (this one) but hasn't really had much of a presence since. I'm very interested to figure out what might have made this special in 1979, and if it's still worth playing today. It was made by most of the same people as Cosmic Encounter, as even has a higher rating than the original Cosmic Encounter on BGG, but it's Cosmic that has had the long term success. There was the Fantasy Flight remake of Dune, Rex, but is anyone playing it?

I'd love to join you, though this is one of those situations where I feel I should read the source material first.

"A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct. This every sister of the Bene Gesserit knows."
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  david_p Mon 13 Feb 2017, 21:33

I have the original game when I played it as a teenager. This looks easier. I'm game if date and location can be specified.
david_p
david_p
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

http://ecosquared.gift

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Mon 13 Feb 2017, 21:51

I recently read the book and would be keen to give it a go. I'll check the diary for free weekends in March.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom_S Wed 15 Feb 2017, 13:02

I'd be looking at the weekend of the 18th or the weekend of the 25th March?
Tom_S
Tom_S
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  AntW Wed 15 Feb 2017, 15:07

Yup, I'd be totally interested in another play-through. I think as long as the rules coherent should be a good one.
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom_S Sat 18 Feb 2017, 14:11

AntW wrote:Yup, I'd be totally interested in another play-through. I think as long as the rules coherent should be a good one.

Yeah I've amalgamated the rule books and done player aids. It's very graspable.

Most importantly Loud Sam won't be allowed to teach it Wink
Tom_S
Tom_S
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom_S Wed 22 Feb 2017, 15:16

What are people's thoughts about doing it on the Sunday session (5th March)?
Tom_S
Tom_S
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sat 12 Aug 2017, 01:04

Hey, Tom, ever get a game of this going? Still want to play? The TI4 announcement made me think of Rex, which made me think of Dune, which made me want to play.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Sun 13 Aug 2017, 12:57

We've got a game happening this Thurs eve as it happens. It's full, but could offer a reserve spot if we get a drop out?
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:27

Yeah, please, thanks Smile Have you played it much already?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Sun 13 Aug 2017, 13:46

SamVS wrote:Yeah, please, thanks Smile Have you played it much already?

Done. No, we played my copy once and realised this game requires skill. If you don't watch it, you can just hand someone the victory on a plate. I've heard similar things about Rex. I think in that respect it's worth seeing it as a cousin of Cosmic Encounter, which it basically is. Except that here the need to co-operatively backstab one another is highly thematic.

I sold my copy because I wanted the £100 to spend on other games. TomS has since got a custom copy printed in China, with a very cool board.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down