Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SAGA - the wargame that thinks it's a boardgame

2 posters

Go down

SAGA - the wargame that thinks it's a boardgame Empty SAGA - the wargame that thinks it's a boardgame

Post  Admin Tue 01 Nov 2011, 09:29

Thought I would kick this section off (as Mike was keen) with

Saga - a Dark-ages skirmish game by Studio Tomahawk (distributed by Gripping Beast)

The introduction I recently received suggested it is a very light wargame. It is played on a 3*4' board. The first game I played was a straight 3 point battle. Each army had a warlord, a unit of 4 elite warriors, 8 normal warriors and 12 peasants. A total of 25 models (but could be as little as 13 if your just fielded Elites). I played Anglo-Danes, against Vikings. The game took less than 1 hour. So as you can tell a nice fast pace and perfect for introducing people into war-gaming.

In my opinion the game is a mix between a wargame and a board game. The main mechanic involves rolling a number of (saga) dice equal to the number of units you are commanding +2 dice for your warlord. Depending on what is rolled (symbols are depicted rather than straight numbers 1-6) these can be placed on a game board which has different sections for different army orders (each of the 4 available armies have different options on these boards). These can be spent to do a range of things from simply moving your units, to enhancing their combat or defense values.

Combat, at the basic level, is very simple. Roll above an enemy armour value to hit, hits made against you can be saved by rolling above your own armour value. These 'combat' values can be altered depending on the 'saga' dice placement and weapon choice.

What is unusual is the inclusion of a 'Fatigue' mechanic. If your units move more than once, or are involved in combat they receive a fatigue marker, which when in combat your enemy can spend to lower your armour value or increase their own. It also appears to be a scenario type game. After the straight battle (which I of course lost) I played a game where I had to destroy a baggage caravan. My opponent had to move at least 2 'baggage' from one end of the battle field to the other. Again I lost. Although losing both games I did enjoy the game and look forward to trying it again!

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

SAGA - the wargame that thinks it's a boardgame Empty Re: SAGA - the wargame that thinks it's a boardgame

Post  paulus Tue 01 Nov 2011, 19:03

Hi Aneurin Very Happy ....you forgot to mention that the rules for the game are £25 (thats for a slim magazine type book!)....and for 8 dice they want £12 Embarassed a complete rip off, £37 for a magazine and 8 dice Crying or Very sad ....then you have to buy the mini's and paint them. not the best way to introduce people to wargaming Rolling Eyes

i can think of a lot better ways to spend my money (buy a new boardgame and get the full product Very Happy )...Saga is only a light wargame as well....for a smaller outlay their are much better games on the market Very Happy

i was hoping for a better Boardgame type review.....Panic station would have been a better choice Very Happy

see you soon Paul Very Happy

paulus
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

SAGA - the wargame that thinks it's a boardgame Empty Re: SAGA - the wargame that thinks it's a boardgame

Post  Admin Thu 03 Nov 2011, 12:47

paulus wrote:(buy a new boardgame and get the full product Very Happy )...

When was the last time you got a boardgame and there wasn't gapping holes in the gameplay that needed filling with an expansion. Especially games by Fantasy Flight!

Come test Panic Station ON Tuesday. 8.30pm Very Happy . You can write your own review of it then. From reading the rules and the forum it is a game that relies on people trying to make their Human win...

The end conditions are

1) Humans torch the Hive - Humans win
2) Humans run out of gas - Infected win
3) No Humans left - Infected win

So if your the only bloke left alive on the station get infected (I hear just sitting next to you Paul is enough drunken ) quick to win.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulus Mon 07 Nov 2011, 19:45

Aneurin ...I hope you are going to review Panic Station ....put in a few pics as well Very Happy

Paul Very Happy

paulus
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 07 Nov 2011, 20:07

I'll see what gets played... am taking it down though so hopefully we can fot a game or 2 in...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down