Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keep the Forum going?

5 posters

Go down

Keep the Forum going? Empty Keep the Forum going?

Post  RikTheChief Tue 08 Aug 2023, 16:32

It's coming up to that time of year when we need to renew the forum (September). This is usually paid for by the members' yearly subs. Last year it was £61.10 to renew.

Is it worth it due to the low use of the forum? I would like your opinion please, we have had this discussion before and have decided to keep it on (you can see the arguments for and against in the history section).

If you have strong feelings either way, now is your chance to put your view forward.

RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Keep the Forum going? Empty Re: Keep the Forum going?

Post  swilbur Wed 09 Aug 2023, 10:48

I still check it most weeks, but these days I'm usually organizing games with people through other channels (or I have no idea what I'll feel like playing on Tuesday, so I don't organize anything and just show up). I guess there's a question about whether the forum drives any new players to show up who wouldn't have found the facebook group.

Last edited by swilbur on Sat 12 Aug 2023, 10:18; edited 1 time in total

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

RikTheChief likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Sat 12 Aug 2023, 10:01

I check in every week in case someone’s posted about a game I’d like to sign up to, but that hasn’t happened for months now

There’s no point keeping it because it’d be nice if people used it
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

RikTheChief likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Fri 01 Sep 2023, 09:07

Obviously a fairly long-time user of the forum myself, like Lizzy, but agree it doesn't seem to be earning it's keep at all anymore. The odd conversation here could easily be moved to Facebook, though if we want to make the group more digitally active, a Discord community would do that much better than a forum these days, and wouldn't incur any cost. Would be worth setting one up I think? Be a pity to lose the forum, but is really outmoded now.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Fri 01 Sep 2023, 09:09

P.s. I don't think of swilbur as a long time user as they clearly turned up more recently. Just checked. 7 years apparently!! The other 3 of us in this thread are at 8,9 and 10 years - a nice gradient.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Fri 01 Sep 2023, 09:25

Honestly given how little traffic it sees, I don't see any real benefit to keeping the forum, even given that historically it was by far my preferred method of discussion - the transitory nature of most social network apps is a big reason why I rarely use them...
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

systemsam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down