Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10 x 10 for 2017

+10
karl_b
Andy S
systemsam
DaveB
BeardyTom
JohnH
paulyg
Jamie
Kes
SamVS
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

2017 - 10 x 10 for 2017 Empty 10 x 10 for 2017

Post  SamVS Sat 14 Jan 2017, 00:57

I would have put this in the old thread by my poor long term planning meant I titled it specifically for 2016:

http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com/t867-10-x-10-for-2016

10 games, played 10 times, in one year.

Now, this is easier if people at the club choose the same games. I would like to suggest that we each pick a game or three for ourselves, then jump onto other people's suggestions and add them to our own 10 x 10 list, so we can work through the same games together. Teamwork.

(Not to suggest everyone should have the same list, of course, only that crossover is good)

I would like to take a pop at two of my own games: Memoir '44 and Mage Wars. Summoner Wars could also take that second spot if people are interested in that -- it's a less complex game and still a lot of fun. Let me know.

I will probably also play through both Risk: Legacy and Pandemic: Legacy this year, as I have groups for both. That leaves me six spots for interesting games, big and small.

1. Memoir '44
2. Mage Wars
3. Risk: Legacy
4. Pandemic: Legacy
5. (Dungeon Lords/Terra Mystica?)
6. (Netrunner?)
7. (Hero Realms?)
8. (Go?)
9. (Tigris and Euphrates/Castles of Burgundy?)
10. (Plop Trumps/Plop Trumps Extreme?)

Make your own suggestions and help other people with the challenge by adding their suggested games to your list.

Last edited by Sam on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:49; edited 2 times in total
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

2017 - 10 x 10 for 2017 Empty Re: 10 x 10 for 2017

Post  Kes Sat 14 Jan 2017, 10:48

You should add x-wing
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Sat 14 Jan 2017, 17:43

Sam wrote:That leaves me six spots for interesting games, big and small.

Could Secret Hitler be a candidate? I'm going to start bringing a blind-fold and machine-gun to spice up the execution element of the game...
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sat 14 Jan 2017, 20:20

Kes suggests X-Wing and Jamie suggests Secret Hitler. Have I entered an alternate dimension in which everything is exactly identical to how it was before?

I certainly wouldn't mind playing a bunch of X-Wing, I've just got no interest in buying any of it. I'll happily borrow off you and lose ten games, though if there are others with a bit of X-Wing who are still starting to learn the game I'd be more motivated to add X-Wing to my list. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of you out there.

Secret Hitler is good, but I don't feel a strong need to explore it futher, and I don't think you'll have any problem playing ten games of it in twelve months without my help, so I'll pass on that one, Jamie. The question is: which other nine games will you be playing this year (you can have Risk: Legacy to start with)?

And the same question for Kes.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Sat 14 Jan 2017, 20:40

I'm honestly not feeling a compulsion to play ten games ten times. I'll play what I want basically. I am enjoying tracking all my posts. Maybe next year, after analysing the data, I will decide I've not been playing the right games.

I'm sure I'll play imperial assault and mechs bs minions ten times. Same goes for xwing.
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Sun 15 Jan 2017, 00:07

Kes wrote:I'll play what I want basically.

Same. Smile

I'm far too lazy to set myself 10 games to play 10 times in a year.

That said, apart from the obvious, I'm very much looking forward to playing:

Risk Legacy.
Leaders of Euphoria.
Chess (if anyone wants a game).

Hopefully, will discover some other gems too...

EDIT: Will be up for a game of Memoir '44 sometime Sam.
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Sun 15 Jan 2017, 00:45

I don't really consider it laziness. I'm not interested in the outcome, I just wouldn't see it as an achievement. Why force myself to play games I don't necessarily want to play for an arbitrary goal?
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sun 15 Jan 2017, 01:44

That’s not really the point though, is it? Any goal is just an arbitrary number. Run 20 kilometers? Why, what is there 20 kilometers away that you want to get to? The reason you take it up is not to cross some finish line, but to get fitter. The number is a signpost to direct your effort and enthusiasm.

I want to play less games more often -- it’s the same goal a lot of people at the club have. In some ways I think that the first time you play a game you’re barely playing it at all. Yet I’ve played far more of this sort of game than of repeat plays. When you play a game that all players have already played before -- that’s when you get a proper contest that you take something away from.

So I’m laying out a plan now so that it’s easier over the year to play more of those sorts of game. So that I enjoy them more. And if others want to try this also, this thread is for them.

Anyway, I don’t think forcing myself to “play games I don't necessarily want to play” will be an issue, because a) I’m not picking games I don’t want to play, b) if I decide I don’t like a game, I’ll stop playing it! I have not yet made a pact with the devil, at least not one concerning board games.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Sun 15 Jan 2017, 02:43

Fair enough. I wasn't suggesting it was a bad idea for everyone but you asked me what the other nine games I would play this year are and that would require me to play stuff I might not want to.
I guess I don't usually do resolutions so when I do, they gotta be significant. I'm much more interested in just finding out what sort of games I'm getting played atm. Maybe I already play ten games ten times! I'll have to wait and see
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 15 Jan 2017, 11:00

10 games I hope to play 10 times this year, eh? Let's see...

1. Netrunner
2. Star Realms
3. Imperial Assault
4. Mechs vs Minions

Those should be fairly easy ones for me (in fact I've already completed it for Netrunner). So, what else?

I really enjoyed Memoir 44 last week, and think I'd enjoy the normal 1 vs 1 mode of that too. So, Sam, I'll join you in the 10x challenge for that.

5. Memoir 44

Games that I'd like to play 10x but are a bit long or logistically complex and therefore unlikely to be realistic: Terra Mystica, Dungeon Lords. If anyone is interested in joining me for those then let me know!

Games which I haven't played yet as they haven't been released but I'm likely to play quite a bit as they're campaigns: Battlestations Second Edition, Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 (though if this comes out at Gencon then I don't think there'll be time to fit in 10 games before year end).

Games which I'll probably end up playing 10x without trying but not sure they really count: Codenames (Pictures), Spyfall, Loonacy, Dobble, Love Letter.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Sun 15 Jan 2017, 11:47

TI3...

That's got to be the goal here, surely!
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 15 Jan 2017, 11:52

JohnH wrote:TI3...

That's got to be the goal here, surely!
LOL, that didn't even make my "quite long and logistically complex" list Smile But 4x (appropriately enough) of that this year would be great! Just need that Aneurin character to get his house move sorted Wink
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sun 15 Jan 2017, 15:05

Dungeon Lords and Terra Mystica are both great options! They're both pretty complex, so lots to explore and lots of variation in each play; we already know they are both great fun; and you've got expansions for both to try out and mix things up — in the case of Dungeons Lords, it's probably a few kilos of them, right? I think of the base games, Terra Mystica is the one most likely to have plenty of life left in it after 10 plays, but I do want to try out those Dungeon Lords expansions.

I don't think they're too bad in terms of length and logistics. To start with, they can both be played with as few as two players, which isn't how I would always want to play them but it would certainly be interesting to give them a try that way once or twice (they would probably be pretty quick games like that, too). Dungeon Lords shouldn't be more than two hours plus rules, if some of us have played before, right? Terra Mystica is a bit longer for both playing and rules, but surely doable on any Tuesday even with newbies. I think Sam just bought Dungeon Lords, too, so should be able to get a few games out of his copy. There are several copies of Terra Mystica owned by club members.

Want to bring one of them to the club this month, and see what we think after a play?

I'd be up for ten games of Hero Realms, by the way. That should be an easy one.

I might say I'll aim to get down to Wargames Emporium ten times this year for Netrunner.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Sun 15 Jan 2017, 16:53

I don't think I'll ever manage a 10x10 but I'd like to aim for maybe a 5x5 of fairly substantial games. Fillers would just be cheating.

Terra Mystica is one I'd love to play more of. I think I've only had the one game of it, ever.
Agricola should be played as often as possible, so that's on the list.
For the other three, maybe Tigris & Euphrates, La Granja and Guilds of London, although I could happily go for Power Grid, Caylus or Castles of Burgundy instead.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Sun 15 Jan 2017, 17:15

I think in terms of "Heavy" games, I managed:

Legendary Encounters - 14
Fury of Dracula - 7
Rokoko - 6
Euphoria - 5
TIME stories - 5

but I played loads of other quite substantial games, like Trickerion/Kanban/TI3/Viticulture/Dominant Species/Crisis/Lewis and Clark/Dungeon Petz/Keyflower 3 times

I'd be happier with similar numbers of actual plays, but with perhaps a different distribution. BGG tells me I played 129 different games last year (with just over 500 plays), and I'd put at least half of those in the Mid or Heavy categories. So I'd say I'm clearly still in the stages of finding new games and playing games that were released before I got into the hobby.

(on a side note, I just found that I can actually sort games by "five and dime" giving me the games i've played 5 and 10 times on BGG)

If I can get Rokoko, Kanban, Euphoria, Notre Dame, Fury of Dracula, Glen More, and Flashpoint played 7+ times each this year I'll be content
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sun 15 Jan 2017, 18:16

BeardyTom wrote:
For the other three, maybe Tigris & Euphrates, La Granja and Guilds of London, although I could happily go for Power Grid, Caylus or Castles of Burgundy instead.

I had Tigris & Euphrates and Castles of Burgundy in mind for myself, so you'll definitely have help there, and Caylus is a game I've wanted to play for ages.

JohnH wrote:If I can get Rokoko, Kanban, Euphoria, Notre Dame, Fury of Dracula, Glen More, and Flashpoint played 7+ times each this year I'll be content

Flashpoint is another one that I've wanted to play for literally years. You very unexpectedly beat me when we played Rokoko, so I owe you something back for that one.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Sun 15 Jan 2017, 20:38

Mechs Vs Minions should be a safe bet for me - there are more than 10 chapters in the campaign after all!

I'd love to put Pandemic Legacy s2 on my list but I bet that won't be out in time to be reasonably feasable!

Definitely want to get more plays in of some of the larger stuff I have like the Legendary games and Fury of Dracula... Shall have to have a ponder!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 16 Jan 2017, 09:02

Sam wrote:Dungeon Lords and Terra Mystica are both great options! They're both pretty complex, so lots to explore and lots of variation in each play; we already know they are both great fun; and you've got expansions for both to try out and mix things up — in the case of Dungeons Lords, it's probably a few kilos of them, right? I think of the base games, Terra Mystica is the one most likely to have plenty of life left in it after 10 plays, but I do want to try out those Dungeon Lords expansions.

I don't think they're too bad in terms of length and logistics. To start with, they can both be played with as few as two players, which isn't how I would always want to play them but it would certainly be interesting to give them a try that way once or twice (they would probably be pretty quick games like that, too). Dungeon Lords shouldn't be more than two hours plus rules, if some of us have played before, right? Terra Mystica is a bit longer for both playing and rules, but surely doable on any Tuesday even with newbies. I think Sam just bought Dungeon Lords, too, so should be able to get a few games out of his copy. There are several copies of Terra Mystica owned by club members.

Want to bring one of them to the club this month, and see what we think after a play?
OK, you've convinced me Smile

I do have the expansion for Terra Mystica and I think it can be added with very little extra complexity. It mostly adds a bit of variety (4 new races, a different map, a change to one victory condition) and some balance for expert players (bidding on the races at the start to reflect the fact they might not be 100% totally balanced). Dungeon Lords expansion is perhaps slightly more complex but, again, easy to add if you're playing it semi-regularly.

Sam wrote:I'd be up for ten games of Hero Realms, by the way. That should be an easy one.
Yep. Only not on my list because I don't know if I'll like it yet!

Sam wrote:I might say I'll aim to get down to Wargames Emporium ten times this year for Netrunner.
I heartily endorse this. Though note that the earlier Orchard Square closing time and some changes in the shop mean that, for now, the Thursday night sessions are across the square in The Museum pub (usually upstairs from about 5.30ish). I think that Wargames Emporium are planning to restart in-shop Netrunner nights at some point...
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Mon 16 Jan 2017, 09:11

Well I'm not doing my own ten,  and don't log plays, but here are some suggestions I'd be happy to help people with:

Roll for the galaxy
Hive
Colony Wars
Dominion
Tzaar (or any other gipf game)
Tash Kalar
Go (over 10 already)
Core Worlds
Race for the galaxy
Roll for the galaxy

Which happily comes to ten anyway.

Last edited by psychomansam on Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:27; edited 1 time in total
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy S Mon 16 Jan 2017, 11:12

paulyg wrote:Games that I'd like to play 10x but are a bit long or logistically complex and therefore unlikely to be realistic: Terra Mystica, Dungeon Lords. If anyone is interested in joining me for those then let me know!

May I ask, why Dungeon Lords over Dungeon Petz? I've never played either of them but I was under the impression that they were extremely similar, but that DP is considered an improvement over the slightly older DL. Perhaps they are not as similar as I have been led to believe? Or maybe you just can't bring yourself to play a game that uses a Z to make a noun plural (completely understandable if that's the case)? Not trying to be a jerk here, I'm genuinely curious.

At any rate, I'd be keen to play both Terra Mystica and Dungeon Lords, if and when additional players are needed.
Andy S
Andy S
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 16 Jan 2017, 11:17

Andy S wrote:
paulyg wrote:Games that I'd like to play 10x but are a bit long or logistically complex and therefore unlikely to be realistic: Terra Mystica, Dungeon Lords. If anyone is interested in joining me for those then let me know!

May I ask, why Dungeon Lords over Dungeon Petz?  I've never played either of them but I was under the impression that they were extremely similar, but that DP is considered an improvement over the slightly older DL.  Perhaps they are not as similar as I have been led to believe?  Or maybe you just can't bring yourself to play a game that uses a Z to make a noun plural (completely understandable if that's the case)?  Not trying to be a jerk here, I'm genuinely curious.

At any rate, I'd be keen to play both Terra Mystica and Dungeon Lords, if and when additional players are needed.
Good question! And my answer is simply that I haven't played Dungeon Petz yet (but I do own it). There are certainly some similar mechanics in there and thematically it's a prequel to Dungeon Lords (you're raising baby dragons and other creatures to sell to the dungeon lords to populate their dungeons). I know that I really like Dungeon Lords but Dungeon Petz is an unknown quantity to me so far. I'd love to play it though Smile Just trying not to commit to 10x plays of anything that I haven't played yet.

Sounds like we have a good number of takers for some regular Terra Mystica and Dungeon Lords at any rate which I'm very happy to see. Actually, thinking about it, I've never struggled for players when I've brought Terra Mystica to the club so I'm not sure why I thought it would be so difficult to play it a lot (perhaps it's the 'fun' of the rules explanation). I've got some stuff booked for the next couple of weeks but will probably try to bring it down on the 31st.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Mon 16 Jan 2017, 12:25

Also up for both terra and dungeon.
Would like to play hero realms a couple of times at least.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Mon 16 Jan 2017, 14:02

Like Sam, I'm willing to help people reach their goals. Speaking of which, Paul/Sam/Sam - it's International Dungeon Lords Day soon!

In terms of games I'd like to play more (without expressly setting a goal), I want to get more plays out of what I already own:

Baseball Highlights
Russian / German Railroads
Manhattan Project + expansions
Zooloretto (which is still unplayed after 18 months)
Cthulhu Realms

With this in mind, I'm hoping to hold more S8/Southside massive games nights to get through them!

Oh and I'll also be playing a lot of the legacy versions of Pandemic and Risk.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 16 Jan 2017, 14:12

I'm logging my games this year - so will see. So far Ive played 14 'times' (I would say games - but some of the games are multiplied) in the 16 days of January. Pretty good going. I can see Junk Art and Cottage Garden making 10 plays easily... then things like Imperial Assault... it's easy to rack up games when you play in competitions.

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 16 Jan 2017, 14:21

karl_b wrote:Like Sam, I'm willing to help people reach their goals. Speaking of which, Paul/Sam/Sam - it's International Dungeon Lords Day soon!
Wooohooo! It truly is the finest day of the year.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next