Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

...and let slip the dogs of war!

2 posters

Go down

...and let slip the dogs of war! Empty ...and let slip the dogs of war!

Post  DaveB Wed 05 Jul 2017, 09:32

So last night we played Cry Havoc. None of us had played before so naturally we got a bunch of stuff wrong Smile

For those unfamiliar with it, Cry Havoc is an asymmetric area control game in a sci-fi setting - three seperate races (Humans, Prophets and Machines) are trying to plunder the natural resources of a world, much to the displeasure of a fourth native race (the Trog). The game plays out over five rounds with a bunch of steps to each one - as every the trick is leveraging the advantages of your race to best effect in the game.

It was one of those games where, at the halfway point I would have been happy to reset the board and start from scratch as it took a while for everything to click (it has quite a lot of moving parts) so made a bunch of tactical mistakes out the gate, but I basically really enjoyed it - I think, like Forbidden Stars, there is a lot of repeat gaming there as you figure out what does and does not work for each faction.

For the benefit of the players - stuff we (well, I) screwed up:

- Adding one crystal into each battlezone (caught this one halfway through game)
- Kills are worth one point not two
- Capture prisoner objective - defender does NOT win on tie - instead nothing happens
- When revealing a Trog war party token and no Trog in reserve (ie so no Trogs spawn in that location) the player that revealed that token places one of his forces in that area in their reserve
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

...and let slip the dogs of war! Empty Re: ...and let slip the dogs of war!

Post  swilbur Wed 05 Jul 2017, 17:37

I've played it a couple of times with two players (and implemented it online) but I haven't gotten a chance to play it with a full four. (I once tried playing all four sides myself. That... didn't work so well.) I'd be up for it next time you bring it in.

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 05 Jul 2017, 18:47

swilbur wrote:I've played it a couple of times with two players (and implemented it online) but I haven't gotten a chance to play it with a full four. (I once tried playing all four sides myself.  That... didn't work so well.) I'd be up for it next time you bring it in.

I figured this would likely be up your alley Scott Smile

PaulyG has also expressed an interest so no doubt there shall be another game soon!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum