Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thursday 26th October - Firsty Thursday Strikes Back

+3
Samuel_C
Scott_Fryer
Admin
7 posters

Go down

Thursday 26th October - Firsty Thursday Strikes Back Empty Thursday 26th October - Firsty Thursday Strikes Back

Post  Admin Sun 08 Oct 2017, 19:09

Our next Firsty Thursday session - dedicated to people who are new to the club and want to meet us in a less intimidating setting...

No organised games - but plenty of people willing to open a box and start playing - just turn up and say hi. If you are thinking of coming let us know.

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Thursday 26th October - Firsty Thursday Strikes Back Empty Re: Thursday 26th October - Firsty Thursday Strikes Back

Post  Admin Thu 19 Oct 2017, 17:01

Hi all - just to let you know. I have spoken to Ash at the University Arms and we will be sharing the upstairs room with the Darts players. We will be in the back end of the room.

I will try and make this session again - and bring Catacombs and Castles; Secrets and Powergrid.

Any new players/members please say hello here so we know you are coming. Gaming will start at 7pm but we can wait for you if you will be a bit late. Just let us know.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Thursday 26th October - Firsty Thursday Strikes Back Empty Re: Thursday 26th October - Firsty Thursday Strikes Back

Post  Scott_Fryer Thu 19 Oct 2017, 17:15

I'll be along again as well, with a varied selection....
Scott_Fryer
Scott_Fryer
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Fri 20 Oct 2017, 22:20

I'll also be there, with some lighter games.
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 24 Oct 2017, 10:25

I'l be along, quite likely with a bonus Sannah
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 26 Oct 2017, 08:23

Sorry all - gonna have to leave you to it tonight. Too much work is killing me Sad.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Thu 26 Oct 2017, 12:45

I'm a bit short on time tonight too. I'll see if I can get down there a little later.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Thu 26 Oct 2017, 14:24

Polly and I should be along with a couple of games. I fancy a bit of Pandemic but happy to play anything.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Thu 26 Oct 2017, 14:25

S and I coming, with a bagful of light and semi-light games Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Thu 26 Oct 2017, 23:40

So.

The set-up tonight wasn't good. When I head we were in the same room as the darts players I laughed to myself that we'd have to dash through a gauntlet of flying pointy objects to to get to the games. Turns out, that was very close to how it actually was. I really think this undermines the whole concept of the evening. It's supposed to be an approachable event. If there were new people that wanted to join us tonight I really wouldn't have been surprised if they had given up when they could only find (on casual inspection) a room full of darts players, or, if they explored further, just didn't feel like pushing through to get to us just to see if there was space at a table. If we want to keep doing these that has to be addressed.

I had a good night. Finally felt like I put a respectable performance into Century Spice Road. Kind of forgot how to play Isle of Skye, though. Must try again.

SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Thu 26 Oct 2017, 23:43

Also, we should designate somebody to take photos for Twitter/Facebook, if the current social media admins are happy with that. Did Aneurin do it last time? Who has a good camera/phone camera?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Thu 26 Oct 2017, 23:58

Yes, Aneurin does it when I'm not there. I had to meet my builder tonight so didn't make it in the end. Anyone can take some photos and send them to me via WhatsApp to post up, but I should have asked someone to do that.

Do you think it helps to have a seperate night? Or would we be better designating some Tuesdays as new member events and some people plan on playing games with whoever turns up?
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 27 Oct 2017, 08:00

I still think that happens on a Tuesday anyway.

Think the Thursday sessions were also about diluting numbers and for people that couldn't make Tuesdays.

It's a shame about the room. I'll work with Scott and contact Ash again - see if we can work out some better dates moving forward. Originally I was told the darts club was fortnightly - so nights were planned to be out of Sync with them... maybe something went wrong - or maybe we look for another venue for this...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Fri 27 Oct 2017, 10:21

Aneurin wrote:Think the Thursday sessions were also about diluting numbers and for people that couldn't make Tuesdays.

Ironically it was almost all Tuesday regulars last night - I think there was one face I'd not seen before...

My wife really enjoyed that the focus was on less complex games though - she generally perceives a lot of the stuff we play on Tuesdays as too heavy for her tastes.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Fri 27 Oct 2017, 10:36

I think that's a common perception, but there's always at least one group of people playing lighter games. Carcassonne in particular seems to get played all the time on Tuesdays.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Fri 27 Oct 2017, 10:38

Lizzy wrote:I think that's a common perception, but there's always at least one group of people playing lighter games. Carcassonne in particular seems to get played all the time on Tuesdays.

Sure and I totally agree with you, but I've not been able to shift her from that perception despite my best efforts Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down