Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What if?????

+3
karl_b
mikew
Admin
7 posters

Go down

What if????? Empty What if?????

Post  Admin Sun 17 Feb 2013, 18:14

Ok so things are looking grim for the three Cranes... I reserve the right to be (hopefully) wrong... But I think we need to discuss possible new venues.

Patriot Games are happy to house us - I know myself it'll mean me spending money on games there. The biggest drawbacks are the lack of nearby parking and it isn't a pub - there is a vending machine but nothing improves gaming like a nice pint.

So if you know a suitable alternative venue (if it comes to it) or want to stick it out at Patriot this is the place to add your tuppence.

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

What if????? Empty Re: What if?????

Post  mikew Sun 17 Feb 2013, 23:33

Ooh what's the issue with Three Cranes? Aah - just read all the other messages from previous weeks. Oh dear.

Patriot Games would be a good venue IMHO.
mikew
mikew
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Mon 18 Feb 2013, 18:04

Dangerous business having direct, weekly access to all those games for sale but Patriot is fine, if not a little cold!

In the other thread I mentioned:

The Dog & Partridge on Trippet Lane, which has a couple of rooms but I don't know whether they're really big enough or that they're 'function' rooms as such. It'd be worth enquiring though as it's very friendly and they do what is comfortably the best pint of Guinness in town!

The Grapes, also on Trippet Lane - has a couple of rooms downstairs and a room upstairs, I think.

And just brainstorming there's also:

Dada, also on Trippett Lane - doesn't have a function room but the area just inside and to the left can be reserved.

The Shakespeare, near Shalesmoor has a room upstairs.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RickM Mon 18 Feb 2013, 22:55

Rude Shipyard (next to London Rd/Abbeydale Rd split) - they often let groups hire out the building on some evenings. They're a cafe, but it's usually BYOB...

Redhouse also worth a look into. I'm friends with Jeff who runs it, and used to game with him quite a lot at the pub. If he's not got other Tuesday stuff on at the pub, then he may well be up for letting us use the whole pub, as he has some weekdays where he only opens if people wanna use it...

The Shakespeare has a big upstairs room too. The Red Deer has a small upstairs room, but it may be a bit too small - ditto for The Riverside and the Fat Cat. Can I vote against the Dada bar? - I hate it!

Isn't the Grapes upstairs room used as accommodation now? They stopped doing gigs there a coupla years ago, and I thought the Dog & Partridge owner had moved into it as a flat? I may be wrong... The massive room at the back of the Dog & Partridge would be useful, but I dunno if you can hire it.

RickM
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

http://rateyourmusic.com/~richeym

Back to top Go down

Post  Rilkyn Tue 19 Feb 2013, 09:08

The Red Deer is no good. We enquired there the last time we were looking for a venue and it pretty booked up.

Will need to check into the other places. Once we get the full picture from the 3 Cranes we'll start the search and post the possibilities. In the short term Patriot will meet our needs.

Rilkyn
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  RickM Wed 20 Feb 2013, 16:51

Hey, Jeff Redhouse is interested in talking about hosting at his pub as the place is pretty much free every Tuesday. He says he's signed up to the forum, but his account's awaiting confirmation.

Alternatively, message him on FB: www.facebook.com/jeff.redhouse

Or the pub page is here - https://www.facebook.com/BeRedhouse?ref=ts&fref=ts

Google says pub phone number is: 07784 022028 - dunno if that's correct!

Last edited by RickM on Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:09; edited 1 time in total

RickM
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

http://rateyourmusic.com/~richeym

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:06

Is this the one on solly street behind the Kroto institute? If its the one I'm thinking of its a great location close to west street and netherthorpe tram stops.

I'm game - as they say...

I have just activated Jeff's account.

I guess important questions are: would there be a charge for the room and is there some storage space for some 4'x4' boards? Our current ones are locked up in the 3 Cranes and if we can't get them back we would be purchasing again. Is it light enough to play? The Riverside (our previous venue) was quite dingy and made playing some games difficult.

And to the group - would all be happy to give it a try?

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Redhouse Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:23

Hello everyone Smile

Just to answer a few questions:

1) No charge to use us, just buy a pint or 2 each Wink
2) There are places for storage, come and have a look around.
3) We run a daytime drop in club for learning disabled adults (alcohol free) from 10am - 3pm mon to fri which means we have had to upgrade our lighting - it can be bright or dingy (we have dimmers)
4) I'll probably join in Smile

Just to ask a few questions:

1) How often do you meet?
2) How many usually attend?
3) What times do you want to be here between?
4) Can I join in sometimes?

Cheers everyone

Jeff

Last edited by Jeff Redhouse on Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:37; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Typo's)

Jeff Redhouse
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Redhouse Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:40

Oh... and yes it's the Solly Street pub (and it's warm)

Jeff Redhouse
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Feb 2013, 18:54

Jeff Redhouse wrote:

1) How often do you meet?
2) How many usually attend?
3) What times do you want to be here between?
4) Can I join in sometimes?

Hi Jeff,

1&3) the club meets every Tuesday night from 7pm till closing. Although times aren't strict so some (like me) rock up around 8pm and others leave early.

2) Last night we had about 15 people (with some regulars missing). Not bad for a cold february evening. These days we do seem to be 10+ each night but some nights might be quiter depending on what people have on.

4) of course... the more the merrier. You any good at Agricola? be good to play someone who is actually a challenge.

I know the group are keen to get back into a pub - mainly for beer. But some of us also have a need for excessive amounts of salt while we game... so get some pork scratchings in Wink

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 20 Feb 2013, 19:31

Are you open on Friday afternoon of Monday lunchtime? I can pop in...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Redhouse Wed 20 Feb 2013, 21:56

So everything you just said sounds good - I'll definitely get pork scratchings in for you.

I'm around most of the time, the number listed on Google is my mobile so just drop me a text. Monday afternoon is really good for me and remember we run the drop in club for learning disabled and disabled adults in the week which is alcohol free so the pub will be set up for that when you come. At night it will be fully alcohol enabled Wink

Although I love playing board games, and can get quite competetive, I have only just been introduced to the myriad of games available so probably won't be much of a challenge - although I'm a very quick learner (google at the ready)

I guess if this was online you'd all be calling me a noob!

Lastly, we have a couple of laptops here which could be used for various games if people are into that (Civilisation 4 for example) I hope I haven't broken a sacred rule of the boardgames group by suggesting that (we can ban them if you like)

I look forward to meeting you and chatting about it all.

Jeff Redhouse
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Rilkyn Thu 21 Feb 2013, 09:26

Jeff

Thanks for the quick response. Would it be available from next Tuesday and what's the full address so that we can update the various places we advertise where we meet?

While Anneurin takes a looksy I'll see if I can get hold of the 3 Cranes about our boards.

Craig

Rilkyn
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Laticpot Thu 21 Feb 2013, 11:01

If you run a group for disabled people (Re the Lighting) does this mean I'll be able to get in with my stick :-)

Sounds Great

Laticpot
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Redhouse Thu 21 Feb 2013, 14:04

Hey guys,

It is available next Tuesday. There are 2 tuesdays we have already booked with gigs though:

Tue 12-Mar-13
Tue 02-Apr-13

If you decide you want to make us your new home I will take Tuesdays out of the available dates list and (apart from the 2 already booked) they are all yours from that point onwards.

With regards to sticks: How big is it?

Generally we can accommodate most sticks all the way up to "post" status, much bigger than that and you might have a job getting it through the door, Cabers are definitely out.... On a serious note, yes we can accommodate most mobility aides, walking frames, sticks etc.

Smile

Last edited by Jeff Redhouse on Thu 21 Feb 2013, 14:05; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Rogue apostrophe)

Jeff Redhouse
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 22 Feb 2013, 14:47

Hi jeff, popped in this afternoon but you weren't around. Looks a nice place. So are you ok if we come this Tuesday?

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Redhouse Sat 23 Feb 2013, 19:40

It's all good for tuesday, sorry I missed you. I cam down as soon as I got the text message from the project manager. Did you get to meet any of the members or was it a flying visit?

Jeff Redhouse
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 23 Feb 2013, 21:36

Just a flying visit as I had the nipper with me for half term and he was meeting a friend at western park museum. Ok we will see
You Tuesday....

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  mikew Sat 23 Feb 2013, 22:21

Hi Jeff & Aneurin

So The Redhouse Solly Street. Sounds a great venue! Thanks guys for organizing this. I know I haven't been to any Tuesdays for a while but definitely hoping to get back soon.

Mike

mikew
mikew
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum