Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Baseball Highlights: 2045 - World Series?!

+4
DaveB
Ianm
Lizzy
karl_b
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Baseball Highlights: 2045 - World Series?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baseball Highlights: 2045 - World Series?!

Post  karl_b Fri 15 Mar 2019, 14:27

Forgot to change the BB code for Tom's photo to force it to display, should be displaying now.

karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Baseball Highlights: 2045 - World Series?! - Page 3 Empty Re: Baseball Highlights: 2045 - World Series?!

Post  Kes Fri 22 Mar 2019, 12:42

Finals on the 23rd April for myself, Karl, Mike and that other one (Liz)
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Wed 24 Apr 2019, 12:40

Mike was our overall winner, with a resounding final series victory last night, losing only 1 game from 9. I don't have the full stats to hand but will post them later in the week. Thanks to everyone for taking part, it was a bit of an experiment and whilst a lot of fun, certainly had some flaws.

Some thoughts from our post-game discussion:

- Keeping teams between the rounds meant that our decks were already pretty solid and with a reduced Free Agent deck to buy from, there was little change. This removed one of the most fun elements of the game and also meant little variety (we had no interest in a bracket beyond the league, as intended). Thoughts on improving this included resetting to base teams between conferences and playoffs/finals or allowing a certain value of free agents to be carried over (15/18/20?). Some version of the latter seemed favoured, it keeps the fun drafting element but also some continuity/reward for building a good deck.

- The buy round worked really well in the conferences, with 10 Free Agents available and a large deck with lots of variety. For the final, we had a smaller deck, limited it to 6 available FA's and introduced a rule to scrap 3 cards for 3 cost. The last rule was an utter disaster, it resulted in us scrapping cards just to stop others getting them. We had also removed all cards with a value of less than 5 and didn't shuffle back in previously purchased cards from eliminated teams. In hindsight, all cards back in, remove the lower value ones and a better variation of the scrapping rule. We thought that maybe the 'top' card could be removed at the end of each round or that you could pay 2 to remove one of the three lowest value cards.

Despite some flaws I really enjoyed playing. It leaves me wondering whether it's worth trying to force the longer format or not, the game works perfectly well in a standalone session but I'd be keen to give it another go. If anyone fancies playing again, in any format, then I'm always game.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Wed 24 Apr 2019, 13:24

I really enjoyed playing, Karl, and would be up for another go if you run something in the future! The larger-scale competition was certainly fun and it sounds like you've got some good thoughts for next time.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 24 Apr 2019, 13:59

I'm glad I took part but I didn't enjoy the game very much - I am finding that I'm often not much a fan of competitive deck-building games - I much prefer the cooperative ones like Legendary...

Either way though, I *am* a fan of the idea of larger scale contests and would definitely be up for other league-type games in the future.

Also, thanks Karl for organising it, was clear a lot of thought and effort went into your planning!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3