Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Table lights

4 posters

Go down

Table lights Empty Table lights

Post  Ianm Tue 31 Aug 2021, 22:06

Hi folks.
I am thinking about looking at table lights for the club. I will do a little investigation of options. I am finding it particularly difficult to see and read some of games in the club. What are peoples thoughts?
Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Table lights Empty Re: Table lights

Post  swilbur Thu 02 Sep 2021, 08:37

I agree that the University Arms doesn't have great lighting conditions, but will table lamps work to fix it? I'd be worried about the lamp getting in the way of the board or players, and it would need a carefully-adjusted lampshade in order to illuminate the whole table from one side (the lamp can't go in the middle because of the board) without blinding the player on the other side. Additionally, it might actually make it harder to see the cards in your hand (which won't be illuminated by a table lamp unless you turn the cards to show the other players).

I assume the pub isn't interested in installing brighter lights just for us. Smile

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark W Thu 02 Sep 2021, 14:24

I think this is a great idea. I assume you’re looking at the LED downlighting type that can be clamped onto the edge of the table/top board? Would need to be long enough to reach the centre area of course and high enough to be out of the way too. Main issue would be power. Most seem to be USB so we’d need either mains adapters and trailing cables (not ideal imo), or maybe get some power banks too? There are some lights that are rechargeable but all the ones I’ve seen seem too small sadly.

The pub might not be interested in fitting new lights for us, but maybe it’s worth asking what type and wattage of bulbs they have and see if it could be ‘upped’ (club pays full or chips in with cost)?

Mark W
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Thu 02 Sep 2021, 16:47

I agree that the lighting isn't great, and so extra light from table lamps would be good.

But yes, I also agree we would have to explore options and see if we can find something that won't get in people's way or shine in their faces. And that we can power suitably.
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm Fri 03 Sep 2021, 11:54

I have a battery powered camping light that i use for gaming in the van, will fetch it next week to see what people think. and also bring our own clip on desk light as an example.
Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down