Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuesday October 25th - Universty Arms

4 posters

Go down

Tuesday October 25th - Universty Arms Empty Tuesday October 25th - Universty Arms

Post  swilbur Wed 19 Oct 2022, 16:14

Anyone interested in playing Container? It's a super-simple game: all you need to do is buy low and sell high, and you'll win!

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26990/container

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

systemsam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Tuesday October 25th - Universty Arms Empty Re: Tuesday October 25th - Universty Arms

Post  systemsam Thu 20 Oct 2022, 20:21

I'll give this a go. Looks interesting.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

swilbur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Tuesday October 25th - Universty Arms Empty Re: Tuesday October 25th - Universty Arms

Post  Alethea Thu 20 Oct 2022, 23:11

I'd like to play Container. I was actually going to bring Tokyo Tsukiji Market which I think borrows a lot of its mechanics.
Alethea
Alethea
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

swilbur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Mon 24 Oct 2022, 16:39

My partner wants to join too, so that's four. There's one spot left for anyone who's interested.

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTimmyKay Tue 25 Oct 2022, 10:18

Is there room for 1 more? Only been to the club once before and would like to try this
TheTimmyKay
TheTimmyKay
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

swilbur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Tue 25 Oct 2022, 10:35

Yep, that's the last spot!

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTimmyKay Tue 25 Oct 2022, 15:11

swilbur wrote:Yep, that's the last spot!

Is this the 10th anniversary edition ?
TheTimmyKay
TheTimmyKay
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Tue 25 Oct 2022, 15:29

TheTimmyKay wrote:Is this the 10th anniversary edition ?

Not exactly... https://imgur.com/a/GwDJ4Cz

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

TheTimmyKay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTimmyKay Tue 25 Oct 2022, 15:32

swilbur wrote:
TheTimmyKay wrote:Is this the 10th anniversary edition ?

Not exactly... https://imgur.com/a/GwDJ4Cz

Not a problem just been checking out how to play
TheTimmyKay
TheTimmyKay
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Tue 25 Oct 2022, 15:38

TheTimmyKay wrote:Not a problem just been checking out how to play

Oh, in that case yes, I plan to use the 10th anniversary rules with no expansions (but I think none of us have played before, so there will definitely be a rules explanation before the game).

(I'm pretty sure the only difference between the versions is the number of pieces in the stock during setup.)

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

TheTimmyKay likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTimmyKay Tue 25 Oct 2022, 15:44

swilbur wrote:
TheTimmyKay wrote:Not a problem just been checking out how to play

Oh, in that case yes, I plan to use the 10th anniversary rules with no expansions (but I think none of us have played before, so there will definitely be a rules explanation before the game).

(I'm pretty sure the only difference between the versions is the number of pieces in the stock during setup.)

Yeah just watched it and had the investors in it and although not complicated was certainly the most complex part of the game
TheTimmyKay
TheTimmyKay
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Tue 25 Oct 2022, 23:05

Really good game cheers. And particularly enjoyed the components of course!
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

swilbur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTimmyKay Tue 25 Oct 2022, 23:07

Awful terrible game that should burn in a fire 🔥 😄
Great game and lessons learnt 👌 👏
TheTimmyKay
TheTimmyKay
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

swilbur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Thu 27 Oct 2022, 10:15

TheTimmyKay wrote:Awful terrible game that should burn in a fire 🔥 😄

Yeah, I think there were multiple people at the table who weren't quite expecting Splotter-level punishment of mistakes. I've found three modifications that might help the experience (other than "at least now you know what not to do in your next game"):

1. The Financier module from the Second Shipment expansion allows other players to finance loans instead of the central bank. (I did print the components for this, but decided to leave it out of the first game.) Loans between players are less punishing: if the lender repossesses your property the loan is immediately forgiven, letting the borrower at least try to rebuild.

2. We could house-rule a different auction mechanism. According to a discussion on BGG among expert players, the simultaneous secret bids are probably the best auction for experienced players (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/261563/article/1990387#1990387) but sequential bids might help new players avoid a massive overbid (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/267521/open-auction-variant-it-really-works-well/page/1).

3. The rulebook is definitely unclear on this, but the designers have clarified (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2024968/article/29531326#29531326) that you're allowed to stay in one place when you sail your ship (so it only takes one action rather than two to buy at a harbor where you're already docked). Knowing this on Tuesday would have saved a couple of actions for some shippers and a bit of frustration on the part of sellers.

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

systemsam and TheTimmyKay like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down