Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War Gamers

3 posters

Go down

War Gamers Empty War Gamers

Post  James Wargamer Sun 03 Nov 2013, 13:06

Hello.
I am an infrequent visitor to the club. I have enjoyed it whenever I have been. In particular, the people I have met have been absolutely lovely.

I am interested in finding nice people to play war games with. By that I mean cardboard-bits-on-a-paper-map type wargames, rather than miniatures games. I have a small collection, which I have posted in the the Library forum, and would love to meet some new people who either play these games already or have an interest in having a go.

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to any replies.
Love from James.

James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

War Gamers Empty Re: War Gamers

Post  Admin Sun 03 Nov 2013, 22:50

Twilight Struggle is one of my favorites... always happy to play...

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Tue 05 Nov 2013, 01:47

Hey man,

I don't think I've played anything described as a wargame yet, but I certainly want to try some. A few that have caught my attention are Squad Leader, Axis & Allies and Twilight Struggle. What else would you recommend?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  James Wargamer Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:07

Aneurin - I would be happy to have a game of Twilight Struggle anytime.

Sam - Battle for Moscow and Twilight Struggle would be good starting points. Battle for Moscow is an introductory hex-and-counter game that is short and fun and will give you an inside track on those types of game.
Also Wilderness War, which uses a similar system to TS, is accessible time and rules-wise. It is more war-y than politics-y than TS. These games both use the card-driven system, which is used in lots of games so when you learn one of them you learn a big lump of all of them. Unhappy King Charles is my current favourite.
I recently acquired Sekigahara and What Price Glory? neither of which I have played but the both look to be on the accessible end of the wargame spectrum. I am looking forward to playing both of these a lot.

Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader are, as far as I am aware, extraordinarily complex so might not be the best place to start (they are also expensive). My current favourite game is Combat Commander, which is also squad based but not too complex and lots of fun.

Sorry for the rambling post. I would be glad to bring a game or two down to the club and have a play.
James
James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down