Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Book Thread

+11
RikTheChief
theatrekat
karl_b
Lizzy
Evilevan
PaulC
Admin
paulyg
Jon M
Kes
SamVS
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Book Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Book Thread

Post  SamVS Mon 10 Oct 2016, 13:39

Perfect. Went past the library in my lunch break, saw it on the shelf immediately, read the intro, borrowed. Cheers Smile

SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Fri 21 Oct 2016, 13:19

Sam wrote:I feel like I'm not reading enough non-fiction. I don't want anything too long or technical, just something nicely readable, but of course I want the information to be good and reliable. For subject I'll take anything Smile

Any recs?

If you're interested in music then I can highly recommend a couple of excellent books (happy to lend them to you):

The Devil's Music traces the rise of blues music, it's history and links to other black music. It's as much about the social history and conditions of the time as it is music.

Groove Interrupted tells different tales of New Orleans musicians and the impact that Hurricane Katrina had on them and on the city.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Fri 21 Oct 2016, 13:22

My own reading is currently alternating between volumes of Preacher/Walking Dead/Saga/The Wicked and The Divine/Darth Vader and the Temeraire series, which is a historical fiction/fantasy mash-up of the Napoleonic Wars but with dragons. Dragons = good.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Mon 24 Oct 2016, 12:39

karl_b wrote:My own reading is currently alternating between volumes of Preacher/Walking Dead/Saga/The Wicked and The Divine/Darth Vader and the Temeraire series, which is a historical fiction/fantasy mash-up of the Napoleonic Wars but with dragons. Dragons = good.

I enjoyed the Temeraire series too. I don't think I'm up to date anymore though. The last one I read was the China related one. (I think)
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 03 May 2017, 19:12

I'm picking up a comic from the stack each time I pass by a library.

After two volumes of Sandman I think it deserves all the lauding it gets. So much story in every issue (let alone every volume), so many cool and weird concepts and downright horrific situations. The art is rough and ugly but the writing is a dream.

Old Man Logan has a Mark Miller big idea, this time the dystopian future of the Marvel universe, and delivers it in a great looking, but rushed, Wolverine story. That's par for Miller, who doesn't give much you much time to reflect but hammers you with moments that are either cool and kinetic or grizzly and shocking. Wolverine has a character here but I barely had time to get to know him ― I finished the whole thing in about 25 minutes.

Just took out American Vampire, which has one vampire story written by Stephen King and another by Scott Synder, and after that I've got my eyes on Young Avengers, Vol. 2 of Saga, and Tokyo Ghoul. It's annoying to always see volumes six and eight of The Walking Dead, and never volume one.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Wed 03 May 2017, 20:17

Happy to lend you the Walking Dead trades, if you like, Sam? I've also finished with Bone if you want to borrow that too?

Did you start the Blues book?
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Thu 04 May 2017, 16:38

Hey, yeah, that would be great. I try to only take one book out of the library at a time (or I end up forgetting about them, or just never reading them), so I'll stick to this policy with the Library Of Karl and finish The Devil's Music first.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2