Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Cast are Dice 2015

+3
Admin
paulyg
Lizzy
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Cast are Dice 2015 Empty The Cast are Dice 2015

Post  Lizzy Fri 13 Feb 2015, 18:08

The dates are set for this now at 8th-9th August.

It's a lovely little expo run by Shire Games. They have a huge collection of games they run as a library and there's a small scale bring and buy. Paul, Kat, Kes and I went last year and had a great time. Put it in your diaries!
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Cast are Dice 2015 Empty Re: The Cast are Dice 2015

Post  paulyg Fri 13 Feb 2015, 19:14

Oooh, yes, I definitely fancy doing this again (Kat is currently undecided).
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sat 02 May 2015, 23:43

Tickets are on sale now. And for the next week or so there is 10% off (and off everything else in the Shire Games online store) to celebrate their 10th anniversary.

So who's going?
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 03 May 2015, 10:43

Tempted - do you stay over?

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 04 May 2015, 08:43

Aneurin wrote:Tempted - do you stay over?
We did last time. We went first thing on Saturday and came back early evening on Sunday. And played lots of games in between Smile

But it's not that far so a day trip would also be doable.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee Mon 04 May 2015, 10:33

I'd really like to go to this, Shire Games weekly email is a highlight of my week (I'm a sad and lonely individual) and I'd like to see the shop. How easy is it to get to on public transport? Is it walkable from the train station?
steveygee
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 04 May 2015, 10:55

steveygee wrote:I'd really like to go to this, Shire Games weekly email is a highlight of my week (I'm a sad and lonely individual) and I'd like to see the shop. How easy is it to get to on public transport? Is it walkable from the train station?
The event is at the 6th form college in Stoke which is pretty close to the train station, so probably not too bad (from Sheffield I think you change at Stockport). I'm also very happy to offer lifts for anyone planning to travel at the same time as me Smile

And I think they actually close the shop for the weekend as they're running the event (although they will go and get games from there if you want to buy things).
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 04 May 2015, 16:46

For anyone curious, I've pasted below the big information email from LAST YEAR (though I imagine this year will be similar).

---

Good afternoon  Paul

I hope this email finds you well, and you're looking forward to our favourite weekend of the year - The Cast are Dice!

This year, we are once again not sending out paper tickets (postal charges were getting silly, and we are running out of trees in Stoke), so the reference number in this email will be all you need to get in.

Your reference number(s) is/are:    193, 194

A Special Offer for everyone that is coming!

To encourage people to think ahead if they want anything from Shire Games at the weekend, we are offering a 10% discount on ALL ORDERS placed on the website this week, which are marked for collection at the event.  This discount will work in conjunction with any others that we already offer (It's too complicated to try and do it any other way!), so you can get almost 25% off if you trigger our highest discount level as well as using this code!

The code you need for the website is COMINGTOTCAD2014, and then you'll have to choose "collect from TCAD" as the shipping option, and your order should be waiting for you when you arrive.

Otherwise, Nick will be able to pop up to the shop a few times over the weekend to fetch things if you want them.

Timings and Directions

The weekend starts at 10am on Saturday, and runs until 10pm Saturday, resuming at 10am Sunday, and finally finishing at 8pm on Sunday evening.

However, the venue will be open earlier than that!  Probably from [url=x-apple-data-detectors://4]9am[/url] on both days.  This gives you a chance to come in and have some breakfast, etc in the refectory - Especially useful if you are "room only" at the hotel and you don't want your gaming time shortened by trivial things like eating and drinking.

By Train:  If you're coming by train, when you come out of Stoke-on-Trent station, turn to your right.  The venue is the big white building facing you by the traffic lights!

By Bus/Coach:  In this case, you may end up in Hanley (Stoke City Centre).  In this case, look for a bus down to the train station (or walk .,.. it's about 20 minutes)

By Car:  

If you are coming from:

The North:

• Travel along the A500 from the M6 Junction 16 towards Stoke-on-Trent. As you near Stoke-on-Trent, pick up the signs for Stoke Station and Staffordshire University.

• Move into the left hand lane, sign posted Ashbourne (A52), City Centre (Hanley) (A5006), Fenton, Stoke.

• At the traffic lights, stay in the middle lane and head straight across, following the sign for Stoke station and Staffordshire University (sign reads ‘Staffs. University’). Now stay in the left hand lane.

• At the traffic lights, turn left, following the sign for Stoke station and Staffordshire University (sign reads ‘Staffs. University’).

• Continue under the railway bridge to the roundabout. Take the first exit, sign posted University Quarter and Staffordshire University.

• Follow this road through a set of traffic lights, keeping in the right hand lane. The Venue will be on your right just before the next large set of lights.

[size]

The South:  

[/size]

• Leave the M6 at Junction 15 and go straight across at the roundabout (Signposted Stoke-on-Trent A500)

• Follow the dual carriageway (A500), proceeding past the A50 sliproad, and note the sign indicating Stoke Station and Staffordshire University (sign reads ‘Staffs. University’). Just past the sliproad leading from the A50, move into the left hand lane, marked A52/A5006. Keep in this lane and when it becomes two lanes, move into the right hand lane, passing through the first set of traffic lights, and up to the traffic lights at the junction. Here, turn right following the sign for Staffordshire University.

• Continue under the railway bridge to the roundabout. Take the first exit, sign posted University Quarter and Staffordshire University.

• Follow this road through a set of traffic lights, keeping in the right hand lane. The Venue will be on your right just before the next large set of lights.

[size]

The East: 

[/size]

• Come along the A50 (from the M1 J23 & J23A), heading West for the M6. As you approach Stoke, you'll pass under the Meir Tunnel. A mile or two after that, you will be signed to the City Centre. 

• Come off there, and turn right at the roundabout.  Follow the road up to another roundabout where you bear left, and then down to the next roundabout where you no longer follow the city centre signs, instead going straight over.

• You will pass through a few sets of lights before coming to a roundabout which signs the station off to the right.

• Go right at that roundabout, which is Leek Road.  Follow this road through a set of traffic lights, keeping in the right hand lane. The Venue will be on your right just before the next large set of lights.

[size]

The West: 

Head East and meet the M6 at Junction 15 or 16. Don't get on the motorway, but follow the directions from the South (J15) or the North (J16) above.

Parking:

The venue has a free car park around the back.  The barriers will be up. 

[size=13]The Prize Table…

As promised, this year’s Prize Table will include a free something for everyone who pre-booked a weekend ticket. 

We haven't pestered quite so many people this year, as we don't like to be a pain, so the prizes come to you mainly courtesy of Shire Games and your ticket money, but we'd also like to thank the generosity of Pegasus Spiele and Mougil Entertainment.

The prize table will be split into 4 or 5 different categories, and everyone with a weekend ticket will draw a thing out of a hat when they arrive, which will direct them to the table from which they can choose a prize.  Obviously, this becomes a little bit of a "first come, first served" thing, but by splitting them we try and guarantee that some of the larger prizes are still there later on in the morning.  And we shall this year split the drawn "things" as well, so half will be in from the start, and the other half will go in about half way through the registrations, so this should eliminate the desperate need to be first in the queue!

New Feature - "Play and Win" section

This year, we will have a small "play and win" section - This will be well signed, but will (for those that know the layout) probably be down on the "cafeteria" style tables at the far end.

The idea of this section is to showcase some new games that hopefully you'll enjoy.  I know we'll have at least three games in this section (it was supposed to be a couple more, buut we've lost a couple due to unforeseen circumstances), and the idea is that if you play the game at some point over the weekend, you can drop your name in the appropriate "pot" and one person will win each game at some point on Sunday afternoon.  ANd if you teach the game to others, you can put your name in the "pot" again each time you teach it!

The games - at the moment - will be:

Frankenstein's Bodies  -  Designed by TCAD atendee Andrew Harman (who will be on hand to teach the game), this is a fun game of "body building";

The Front Nine  -  This is a resource-management game about designing a golf course, also designed by a UK-based gamer.  The winner of this one will get one of the last first edition copies, and all those that miss out will be able to back the 2nd edition of the game on Kickstarter.

IPA - The Agents  -  This is a tactical strategy combat game set in the near future, with some pretty unusual and unique artwork (which you will either love or hate!). We'll provide a link to the video "walkthrough" for those wanting to try it out that are too lazy to read the whole rulebook, but that will require a phone that plays videos and stuff, obviously.    

And maybe one other ... we shall see!

Of course, our thanks to to YAY GamesA-Muse-Ment, and Mougil Entertainment for their generosity.

Food and Drink

The food and drink at the venue really is excellent.  They will be open from before the convention starts if people want to arrive early and grab some breakfast (probably from [url=x-apple-data-detectors://6]9am[/url] each morning).

The refectory will be open all day, selling tea, coffee, and soft drinks.  They will also have some good choices for lunch, and there will be a barbecue each afternoon, where you'll be able to get hot dogs and burgers.  The barbecue is excellent!

There is a "Subway" and a couple of pubs within very easy walking distance of the venue, so there are plenty of other options if you fancy some fresh air, but you'll find it difficult to tear yourselves away from the friendly gaming atmosphere.

Of course, you are welcome to bring your own soft drinks and cold food (sandwiches, etc) with you.  There are nice large tables in the refectory where you'll be able to sit and eat (as well as play games)

Badges

We have provided a name badge for everyone that pre-booked a ticket.  Again, for security reasons, the guys from the college have asked that these be kept on you at all times.

The badges also show people’s login names and avatars from the boardgamegeek.com website, so that you can put some faces to names that you might see on the site fairly regularly.

When you leave the convention, there will be a big bucket/box for you to throw your badges into on your way out.  We do need to try and collect them all back!

The Games Library

The games library will contain somewhere in the region of 500 games. These games are coming from the collection of Shire Games, as well as Nick & Sue's personal collection, and will therefore be very up-to-date, containing many newer releases.

The library is kept in two rooms down by the refectory, one for games A to K, the other for L to Z.  

As we would like all of our games returned in good condition (as they were last year ... thank you everyone!), we will once again enforce a "no food or drink on the table" rule for the games from the library.

We will again be running our (nowhere near) foolproof ticket system - When you arrive you'll have a "library ticket" given to you along with your badges.  When you check a game out, you leave the ticket with one of our glamorous attendants, and they return it to you when you bring the game back.  Simple, really!

The Bring & Buy Tables

A very popular feature of the weekend is the "Bring & Buy".  

Once everyone has arrived and the prize tables are starting to empty, we will turn that area into a Bring & Buy.  

So if you have anything that you might want to trade or sell to a good home, you can bring it along and put it there, to see if anyone wants it.

These are left at your own risk, but it is helpful if you prepare in advance a little and mark games with post-it notes stating price, your name, and maybe your mobile number so people can find you if we can't!

Children

As with previous events, we are not putting an age restriction on the convention, but all children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult to enter.

All children under 6 will be allowed in free, but above that age we will assume they are here to play games and will need to buy a ticket!

Also please be aware, when bringing children that the following will apply:

-    Children under 10 should not be allowed to wander unaccompanied around the venue.

-    If space allows, one of the many areas we have use of will be declared an "adults only" area, where gamers won't have to worry about their language quite so much!

-    Any complaints about the behaviour of any children at the convention may result in those people being asked to leave.

Basically, we would like everyone to enjoy themselves and have a great weekend, and to some people that will mean a weekend gaming as a family, and to others it will mean a weekend away from the familyand the chance to play some serious games with s"serious" gamers! 

[/size]

[size=13]How our Board Gaming Weekend Works ...[/size]

The idea behind this weekend is for everyone to have a great time playing games and meeting new people. If you’ve been to gaming conventions before, you’ll know what to do, but if you’re new to this sort of thing, here are a few tips:

1.   If you see anyone setting up a game that looks interesting, this is the time to jump in! Don’t be afraid to wander over and ask if there’s room for one more. In fact, it’s quite likely that the person setting it up is hoping someone is going to do exactly that. Most games are at their best when they have their maximum number.

2.   If you don’t see anyone playing a game you fancy, wander into the Games Library and find one that looks interesting. If you’re setting up a game, it won’t take long for other people to wander over and join you.

3.   Likewise, if you are experienced at these sorts of things and see someone looking a little lost and confused, then invite them to join you!  

Shire Games Shop

As I mentioned above, the shop is not really walking distance from the venue (it’s a good 20-minute walk) we are not going to have any official opening times while the weekend is in full swing.

However, we are probably going to make a few trips to the shop each day to pick up things that people would like.

There will be a “sign-up” sheet where you can ask us to bring a game back, and there’s a cash machine near the refectory so we don’t have to worry about whether our credit card machine will work!  You could also mention on this list if you want to come up to the shop for a browse, so I can tell you when we’re going up there.

Also, we will be opening the shop on Sunday evening (from about [url=x-apple-data-detectors://9]8.30pm[/url] until about [url=x-apple-data-detectors://10]10.30pm[/url]) for those that fancy a browse after the weekend is over.  If you’re coming along, please do ask if there is anything we would like carrying back up to the shop, as we like to get out of the venue as soon as possible on Sunday night to let all of the staff get home at a reasonable hour, so all help will be greatly appreciated!  

And we will be open as normal on Monday 11th ([url=x-apple-data-detectors://13]10am[/url] onwards) for those that are staying overnight and want a browse.

Right.  I think that is everything that you need to know.  Any questions ... drop us a line!

See you at the weekend!

Nick and Sue (and Freddie, who is still barred from attending unfortunately)

[/size]

The Cast are Dice 2015 Cid:587312514@04082014-26CE
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 04 May 2015, 18:39

And as this thread bump reminded me, I've now bought myself a weekend ticket and booked into The Quality Hotel in Stoke (about 5 mins drive from the convention).

Weekend ticket is only £13.50 with the discount code TENMOREYEARS and a single hotel room only set me back £45 so not too bad for the weekend I think.

Who else is in? Who wants a lift?
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Mon 04 May 2015, 18:58

Shit, I think I have to work that weekend Sad
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Mon 04 May 2015, 19:08

Gary and I want to come, I'll sort booking later. A lift would be great.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 04 May 2015, 19:40

Lizzy wrote:Gary and I want to come, I'll sort booking later. A lift would be great.
Yep, I will put you both down for a lift.

And booooo, Kes! Might let you have my "quality" free game in sympathy...
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Mon 04 May 2015, 19:57

Thanks Paul!

And, yeah, booooooo, Kes! Just Boo.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 04 May 2015, 20:06

Right I might actually come for the full weekend then... I'll drive so more spots open... Also happy to share a hotel room if anyone is interested.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee Mon 04 May 2015, 20:25

I'm going to tentatively say i'm going to this so if I could get a lift that would be awesome.
steveygee
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Mon 04 May 2015, 20:32

I'll make sure but thats a festival weekend and I think everyone else is going to it
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 04 May 2015, 20:33

steveygee wrote:I'm going to tentatively say i'm going to this so if I could get a lift that would be awesome.
Yay! You can certainly have a lift - I guess we'll figure out how to split between the two cars when we see how many are coming Smile
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 04 May 2015, 21:35

Might only be able to do one day now Sad... Nat not keen on me being away for a whole weekend. If I book a weekend ticket will I still get free games Wink.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 04 May 2015, 21:50

Aneurin wrote:Might only be able to do one day now Sad... Nat not keen on me being away for a whole weekend. If I book a weekend ticket will I still get free games Wink.
Yes, I expect you could still get your free game but I don't think it's likely to be worth the extra £7 to be honest. Kat did get Love Letter (she got a ticket for the 'good' table) but the rest of us got some, er, interesting items. My game looks like it was produced on an Amiga in 1992. It' still on my unplayed pile...
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Mon 04 May 2015, 23:30

Tickets and hotel booked!
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 05 May 2015, 08:39

Right - which is a better day to attend - Saturday or Sunday! Thinking Saturday...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Tue 05 May 2015, 08:41

Aneurin wrote:Right - which is a better day to attend - Saturday or Sunday! Thinking Saturday...
Yep, I'd say Saturday though there wasn't *that* much difference between the two days (perhaps slightly more people there on the Saturday).
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee Tue 05 May 2015, 09:30

Hmm. The nearby hotel is fully booked. Anyone got recommendations for a decent hotel on a bus route?
steveygee
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 05 May 2015, 09:34

Steve, That's rubbish regarding the hotel. If you just want to make it a day trip I'll happily drive us...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee Tue 05 May 2015, 09:42

Yeah, think that might be the best option. Are you leaning towards the Saturday?

Roadtrip!
steveygee
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next