Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone played (or would like to play) Diplomacy?

5 posters

Go down

Anyone played (or would like to play) Diplomacy? Empty Anyone played (or would like to play) Diplomacy?

Post  Jamie Wed 20 May 2015, 15:24

Has anyone played Diplomacy?

It looks like a more serious game, maybe 5 hours of play time (depending on how long the chat sessions last), still, it looks super interesting. I really want to give it a go. Anyone played before, want to try it, is curious?
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Anyone played (or would like to play) Diplomacy? Empty Re: Anyone played (or would like to play) Diplomacy?

Post  BeardyTom Wed 20 May 2015, 18:21

Jamie wrote:Has anyone played Diplomacy?

It looks like a more serious game, maybe 5 hours of play time (depending on how long the chat sessions last), still, it looks super interesting. I really want to give it a go. Anyone played before, want to try it, is curious?

I've played Diplomacy a bit. A couple of years ago there was a group of us that decided to give it a go with a regular game every Sunday afternoon and we managed a few months before it got too difficult to get the same people together regularly. It's best with 7 and the game suffers a bit when you get down to 5 or less players.

I really enjoyed Diplomacy and I'd like to play it again. The tactics of depending on others but not so much that you leave yourself vulnerable were really interesting.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Anyone played (or would like to play) Diplomacy? Empty Re: Anyone played (or would like to play) Diplomacy?

Post  Mattel Wed 20 May 2015, 19:46

Yep, played before, and as Tom says it really needs 7 to make it work.

i'd be happy to play again at some point but suggest a rule where discussion time is on the clock.

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 20 May 2015, 22:06

I thought timed discussion phases were par for the course? But yes, I agree, using a timer is the way to go!

Hope to get 7 players. A friend of mine had played a few games before, and he's eager to play again; so that's 4 of us already...

Maybe a Sunday afternoon? I'm thinking we could maybe play it on the first Sunday at the Red Deer, when we have the Sunday session. Unless there's a better option. Smile
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Thu 21 May 2015, 12:52

I'd like to give it a go as well... I do have a (never played) copy! Got myself in a tangle when I tried to understand the rules, so would definitely appreciate playing with people who know what they're doing Smile
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattel Thu 21 May 2015, 13:03

PaulG wrote:I'd like to give it a go as well... I do have a (never played) copy! Got myself in a tangle when I tried to understand the rules, so would definitely appreciate playing with people who know what they're doing Smile

As rules go they are very easy to get your head around, examples helped me out.

It's the application of simple rules that produce some mind-bending results sometimes.

Looking forward to this - is this on for June 7th or another Sunday?

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Thu 21 May 2015, 14:25

Mattel wrote:Looking forward to this - is this on for June 7th or another Sunday?

Me too. I've never played before; but the more I read about Diplomacy, the more I like it!

Haven't fixed a date yet Matt. It's going to be what works best, for everyone. Possibly on the 7th, as we already have the upstairs at the Red Deer on that date. Otherwise, will need another venue and date. I've got another friend who's played quite a bit, who wants to join us, and possibly a couple of others (not as yet confirmed)...

So, so far, it's looking like...

1. Jamie - confirmed
2. David (friend of Jamie) - confirmed
3. Tom - maybe unable to make it on the 7th.
4. Matt - confirmed
5. Paul G - confirmed
6. Steve - confirmed
7. Lee (other friend of Jamie)

Any thoughts on the date?

Last edited by Jamie on Wed 27 May 2015, 23:07; edited 4 times in total
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Thu 21 May 2015, 14:33

June 7th works for me!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Thu 21 May 2015, 15:30

I'm pretty sure I'll be in York that weekend, unfortunately.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattel Thu 21 May 2015, 16:18

BeardyTom wrote:I'm pretty sure I'll be in York that weekend, unfortunately.

When are you not in York Tom?

Hang on, York, Tom..... were you ever in a band by any chance?.......

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  steveygee Sun 24 May 2015, 16:12

I'll have a seat if ones going. Always wanted to try Diplomacy.
steveygee
steveygee
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Mon 25 May 2015, 17:07

steveygee wrote:I'll have a seat if ones going. Always wanted to try Diplomacy.

Yep, pretty sure they'll be a space for you Steve; will add you to the list. Smile
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Mon 25 May 2015, 22:20

Just sent out PM's to check everyone is okay with the date (7th June) and venue (Red Deer). The game really needs 7 players, so just want to firm things up a bit. I don't think we'll have problems getting 7 players. Smile
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Mon 01 Jun 2015, 16:26

Jamie wrote:I don't think we'll have problems getting 7 players. Smile

Maybe I spoke too soon! We only have 6 confirmed players; so there's a seat going if anyone want's to play Diplomacy, on Sunday the 7th, 2pm, at the Red Deer. Any takers?
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down