Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

21st February

+3
MechanicalMonkey
Admin
stocksy
7 posters

Go down

21st February Empty 21st February

Post  stocksy Mon 13 Feb 2012, 13:55

Shotgun M+M!!!

Shame its not more than 4 players.

stocksy
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

21st February Empty Re: 21st February

Post  Admin Sat 18 Feb 2012, 18:05

Guessing there will be a few waiting for a game when I get there after 8... If m&m only plays 4.

I'll bring dungeon run, dixit and space bastards

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MechanicalMonkey Mon 20 Feb 2012, 16:47

I'll be there and I I'll bring a game game this time instead of forgetting it in my hotel room!
MechanicalMonkey
MechanicalMonkey
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Rilkyn Tue 21 Feb 2012, 09:12

I'll be there and will bring M&M. Went through it yesterdayand think I know how to play.

Says it can be played in 45 mins when experienced but it takes a while to set up and there's a fair bit to remember. But in theory, we should be able to get 2 games in.

Craig

Rilkyn
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  stocksy Tue 21 Feb 2012, 13:53

I read the rules today as well, it looks fairly simple, but I'm a bit sceptical about 45 minutes, even with experienced players.

It does look brilliant, a good amount of resource management, but you can kill and steal from the other players if you fancy Smile It looks like a Mike type game

stocksy
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon M Tue 21 Feb 2012, 14:19

ill be down tonight Smile
Jon M
Jon M
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  mikew Tue 21 Feb 2012, 16:35

stocksy wrote:I read the rules today as well, it looks fairly simple, but I'm a bit sceptical about 45 minutes, even with experienced players.

It does look brilliant, a good amount of resource management, but you can kill and steal from the other players if you fancy Smile It looks like a Mike type game

I'm All Over It :-)
mikew
mikew
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

21st February Empty Room double-booked

Post  mikew Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:39

Hi All

I'll contact the Riverside about last night's situation, where we turned up at 7:00pm only to find a band had our room and we had to play downstairs.

I did bug out and not stay (I hate playing downstairs); did anything change after I left ?

Mike
mikew
mikew
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Rilkyn Wed 22 Feb 2012, 10:49

Nope.

There were seven of us in the end and they did allow us to move a larger table, giving us enough room for two games. I'll look at another pub that we could move to. The 3 Cranes has an upstairs area which is used by the wargames club on Thursdays. I'll see if we could use that free of charge.

If it is an option we can discuss whether we want to move or stay at the Riverside

Craig

Rilkyn
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:02

I turned up at 8.40pm. It seemed a busy night at the Riverside. I dashed upstairs to find no-one there and the band setting up. Luckily Steve was chasing me so I knew where they were all playing. What with the band and the football it was noisy but we could still play. Once the football finished it did empty out a little and the noise from the band didn't really bother me. I only remember thinking once, gee that band sounds crap!

The leak from the toilets above was my main problem No, and light is always a problem.

In fairness to the pub though, we don't pay for the room so probably don't have much say in the matter (I would imagine the band got they a lot more money in than us last night!).

My only problem with the 3 Cranes is the lack of parking (all on street - and I have noticed that during ceremonies at the catherdral it can be difficult to get a space nearby (yes I'm lazy)). Although the Riverside doesn't have any dedicated parking the car wash place opposite is useful - and for me it's easier to get to.

However the 3 Cranes is a much nicer establishment... and to be honest, if they didn't let us have the upstairs it seems quiet enough (at least from my experiences on Thursdays) to play downstairs with nice cornered off areas of the pub. And I think they clean the tables. And good beer.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  mikew Wed 22 Feb 2012, 11:31

I'd be happy to move locations.

mikew
mikew
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  stocksy Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:01

I'd be up for a move to a quieter place.

stocksy
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 22 Feb 2012, 12:03

Looking like the I's have it. Lets wait and see what the 3 Cranes say when Craig talks to them. Out of interest anyone know any other venues?

There are pubs in deepcar with free function rooms Wink

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon M Wed 22 Feb 2012, 15:09

ive always felt like we were 'tolerated' at Riverside and not neccessarily 'welcomed'. three cranes sounds good and on a bus route (nearly) so i can have more than the one pint driving allowance allows ! whether that will improve my game playing or not (i think space bastards is probably best with green tea and not alcohol - head mash) remains to be seen !

it cant be any worse than riverside and has real beer so gest my vote cheers
Jon M
Jon M
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Rilkyn Wed 22 Feb 2012, 16:37

If we can get it, great. It will come down to whether they want to charge us or not.

Tuesday is a good night as its normally quiet.

I'll speak to them tomorrow night and we can take it from there.

Rilkyn
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  stocksy Wed 22 Feb 2012, 16:52

Anyway, I did enjoy M+M. I read up on it a bit today and it looks like a lot of other people agree that trader is the easier way to go. The few people who did pirate suggested that you really need to harass the traders so that they are never out of port at the end of a turn therefore slowing them down and to upgrade your ship and buy weapons ASAP so that you can get the 12 points from the merchants easier.

I also got Trajan today so I'll bring that down next time, wherever we play.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/102680/trajan

stocksy
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

21st February Empty Re: change of venue

Post  MaJiK Thu 23 Feb 2012, 16:27

Hi folks, if the 3 cranes doesnt come up trumps, I know the Rutland Arms used to have a small upstairs room, the beer is good, there's no football on and its central, with nearby parking behind the kettle drums that used to be the pop museum. (think you have to pay up til 8 but after then its free). No idea whether room is free/chargeable or what but here is the link to the pub: http://www.rutlandarmspeople.co.uk/w/doku.php?id=start

All the best
MaJiK
MaJiK
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down