Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaming this weekend?

4 posters

Go down

Gaming this weekend? Empty Gaming this weekend?

Post  systemsam Thu 14 Apr 2016, 17:14

Resurrecting this thread as I'm looking at another away day this weekend. See bottom of thread for details! Very Happy

Last edited by psychomansam on Thu 16 Jun 2016, 09:24; edited 2 times in total
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Gaming this weekend? Empty Re: Gaming this weekend?

Post  Jamie Thu 14 Apr 2016, 17:50

Normally, I'd be all over Eclipse, but playing Twilight Imperium the week after, and Eclipse 2 weeks after that...

How about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIHWoE8gAnI#t=52

^ That's a review

Here's the game on BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/178550/spheres-influence-struggle-global-supremacy

Here's a overview / rule explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1g-RzNZRk8
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Thu 14 Apr 2016, 19:06

If other people are interested I'd give that a go.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Fri 15 Apr 2016, 13:19

Not much interest here but I've got a plan b. Anyone fancy coming along on a trip to York - beyond monopoly?
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Sun 17 Apr 2016, 10:10

Well, you lot clearly have too many responsibilities etc!

I went along to York and played:

Ascension
(deckbuilder) - nice to play in the real - I used to play on the app a lot but hadn't played in person. Lacks the level of player interaction in Star Realms.

Yspahan
(owned) - nice to finally play this. We played the Caravan wrong but a nice little game still. Keen to try again now I know what I'm doing.

Roll for the Galaxy - I went, I saw, I conquered.

Stone Age - finally played this intro worker placement game. Holy Christ did it drag on! Nice intro game apart from that. Would be easy to shorten. I don't know if this was down to the particular group.

Origin - current Works £12 special. Worth it for the wooden pieces alone. Nice light family friendly game.

Dice Town
- a bit of silliness to finish with. It was a german version, so we had to look at the rules for the English translation of the card actions. This was still difficult for the Spanish player!

They were a friendly bunch*. Played half of those games with a noob** who had no problem getting games. Some groups were clearly more cliquey with others being more open. The venue was nice, if different. It's a nice meeting venue attached to a cafe. food/tea available until half 2. Great value Nachos. You can't take your own food/drink. Hot drinks facilities get brought out early evening on the house. They have a large game collection at the venue to pick from as well as people taking their own - 761 games currently listed at https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/bmyork. Parking is an issue***, but if you manage to ask in a private forum (PM on Bgg?) beforehand they might be able to help out. I'd be keen to go again when I can, especially if someone wants to chip in for fuel.  

*(in the usual board-gamers sort of way. One guy was comically unfriendly, but quite clearly just higher up the spectrum)
**Not Roll, I've learnt my lesson.
***parking nearby is very expensive. I used the £2.80 bus from Askham park n ride (free parking). But that car park is apparently locked at 8.30pm  (god knows why). So I actually parked 3 mins away from there in the Tesco Extra. I lost my bus ticket and walked back which was actually very pleasant in the cold air after a day of gaming. Half hour walk back with a stride on.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Sun 17 Apr 2016, 10:30

Sounds good, I like York but like you say parking is a nightmare. Was it busy at the café? York is a bit too far away for me but I like the idea of having somewhere you can go any time to play games.
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Sun 17 Apr 2016, 20:24

RikTheChief wrote:Sounds good, I like York but like you say parking is a nightmare. Was it busy at the café? York is a bit too far away for me but I like the idea of having somewhere you can go any time to play games.

I can't really say how busy the cafe was - the meeting rooms the gaming happens in are down a corridor and round a corner. When I ordered food, I had to wait for it to come and it came really quickly and was good.
It's a bit too far for me to go regularly on my own as well. 2.5 hours drive and the fuel and bus is £15+. First visit is free then £3 a pop. Would definitely prefer to have one or two passengers to chuck a fiver in. Be good fun to go up with a few of us. They do every other Saturday I believe. I wouldn't be able to make the next couple, but will put up here as/when I can again to try to drum up some interest.

Planning a trip down to Notts to try the new new board game cafe there - just need to find the time.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Sun 17 Apr 2016, 21:04

How long before Sheffield sets something up like this?
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Sun 17 Apr 2016, 21:05

Hidden rolls cafe?
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Mon 06 Jun 2016, 14:44

Was mentioned in another thread at some point that it would be interesting to see what some other clubs in the region are up to. Visited York a while back and had some good gaming Very Happy  (see above).

I'm planning on visiting one of the clubs in the Leeds region this weekend. There's a Sunday option which would probably involve a train, but I will be driving up for a day of gaming on Saturday. Drop me a PM or leave a message here if you're interested in coming along. Anyone welcome, new or old - and you're obv welcome to game with me or go join other groups there etc.

Will be reporting back once the espionage is complete pirat
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Mon 06 Jun 2016, 16:20

I'm tempted. What times on Saturday? Does the club in question have a website? Should I pack a spy camera and a fake mustache?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Mon 06 Jun 2016, 17:18

Sam wrote:I'm tempted. What times on Saturday? Does the club in question have a website? Should I pack a spy camera and a fake mustache?

I can't possibly discuss details of espionage devices in public. Though a camera could be good...

I'm planning on visiting these guys - seem very friendly and helpful on facebook:

http://www.acgamers.co.uk/home-page/our-games/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/117195258356402/

They start around 1 and apparently tend to go on until 10 or later - so we'll be able to get a good day out of it.

If Sam's in, that leaves 3 more spaces in the car, so feel free...

Edit: Sam - shall we challenge them to 2v2 Star Realms? Their best 2 versus ours? Laughing
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Mon 06 Jun 2016, 22:18

Lol.

Let's do it Twisted Evil
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Sun 12 Jun 2016, 09:26

psychomansam wrote:
Sam wrote:I'm tempted. What times on Saturday? Does the club in question have a website? Should I pack a spy camera and a fake mustache?

I can't possibly discuss details of espionage devices in public. Though a camera could be good...

I'm planning on visiting these guys - seem very friendly and helpful on facebook:

http://www.acgamers.co.uk/home-page/our-games/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/117195258356402/

They start around 1 and apparently tend to go on until 10 or later - so we'll be able to get a good day out of it.

If Sam's in, that leaves 3 more spaces in the car, so feel free...

Edit: Sam - shall we challenge them to 2v2 Star Realms? Their best 2 versus ours? Laughing

Went - great day of gaming. Really friendly fairly small local group who are also incredibly lucky to have their own club gaming room with tables&chairs, sofas for napping on, tea&coffee facilities and a kitchen and games library attached. Free parking on site. Lucky buggers! Tea & Coffee is available and free, and a few rounds of tea were made. A 'dinner run' happened with a couple running over the road to the Sainsbury's and picking up pizzas to go in the oven. They have a 'tuck shop' in their games room, e.g. cans for 50p. But worth mentioning that it's cheap for food and drink as you can take your own. The weekly subs are outrageous   Wink - first visit free followed by 50p each time.

They were really welcoming and friendly. Despite my protestations, a game of Patchwork was abandoned when I turned up so I could be included in a game.

Games:
Kodama - I don't think replayability is massive, but it is a really nice little game
Knitwit - missed this last weekend so nice to get to it
7 Wonders - with 6 and little to no AP which was ace
Knitwit - enjoyed it, good party game - but think I prefer codenames for now.
Brass - New for me. It's a good game. It is. Euro, partly network building. Martin Wallace which means some great design and mechanisms, with some finnicky rules and ridiculous numbers of tokens. AP potential. Dry as a cream cracker. Unlikely to play again. It's a good game, but I think the Bgg rating of 20 is ridiculously high - perhaps things have moved on since 2007.
Carson City - with 5. Great.

at which point it was midnight and Nick suggested a quick game of something. Would have loved to, but had to drive back. 50 minutes later I was home in Sheffield. Closer than York. Logistically cheaper and easier. Smaller. Very friendly and welcoming.

EDIT - This nails brass: https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/review-brass/

Last edited by psychomansam on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 22:51; edited 1 time in total
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Wed 15 Jun 2016, 22:20

Well yet again the other half is working this weekend and friends are fleeing the country in droves. Saturday in particular could do with some gaming.

I'd be very happy to host a game(s) of Eclipse/Exodus/Brewcrafters/Tzolk'in etc. I'd also be open to transporting people to yonder lands. Beyond Monopoly is meeting this Saturday in York. (See above for info on them).

Anyone interested? Don't tell me you're ALL busy raising sprogs?
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Fri 17 Jun 2016, 16:45

Well if I'm not too hungover I might well be heading to York tomorrow. Let me know if anyone is interested.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Fri 17 Jun 2016, 19:17

I'm working tomorrow unfortunately otherwise I would come along
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Sat 18 Jun 2016, 22:32

Next time Rik!

Today:
Tzolk'in with Tribes
Imhotep - great light-ish little game
Quelf - party style 'fun' - eesh, never again
2*Celestia - great light little 'push your luck' game
3*Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sun 19 Jun 2016, 17:06

With a name like "Quelf", what do you expect? You played Tzolk'in with Prophecies yet?

And, hey, dickhead: Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, the game that you liked well enough to play three times, is the game you kicked up a stink about playing after Mission: Red Planet the other week. Laughing
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Sun 19 Jun 2016, 17:44

Sam wrote:With a name like "Quelf", what do you expect? You played Tzolk'in with Prophecies yet?

And, hey, dickhead: Deception: Murder in Hong Kong, the game that you liked well enough to play three times, is the game you kicked up a stink about playing after Mission: Red Planet the other week. Laughing

Not done prophecies yet. Would be good to arrange a game for experienced players only (bit cruel otherwise)

It wasn't really my choice to play 3 times but actually it was alright. We played with 6 people and basic roles which means it's mostly a deduction game like codenames but with pictures (coming soon). I can see that with less people and advanced roles etc it could become very hidden breadcake.

But yes, apologies, my phobia was obviously doing overtime.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down