Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Club Library - VOTE FOR FILLERS - WITH NEW BONUS VOTES!

+11
Scott_Fryer
paulyg
BeardyTom
PaulC
DaveB
Admin
Jamie
karl_b
Kes
Lizzy
systemsam
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Club Library - VOTE FOR FILLERS - WITH NEW BONUS VOTES! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Club Library - VOTE FOR FILLERS - WITH NEW BONUS VOTES!

Post  William_ Wed 25 May 2016, 07:51

Pitch-Car Mini - A bit of variety and a change from cards, meeples and dice

Straw - A quick, easy to play card game

And after the demo last night, how about a copy of Monkey Butt as well?

Can I suggest too that club invest in a copy of Mr Knizia's Dice Games Properly Explained book which provides dozens of filler games (once you have read it Cool )

William_
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

The Club Library - VOTE FOR FILLERS - WITH NEW BONUS VOTES! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Club Library - VOTE FOR FILLERS - WITH NEW BONUS VOTES!

Post  systemsam Wed 25 May 2016, 08:33

William_ wrote:Pitch-Car Mini - A bit of variety and a change from cards, meeples and dice

Straw - A quick, easy to play card game

And after the demo last night, how about a copy of Monkey Butt as well?

Can I suggest too that club invest in a copy of Mr Knizia's Dice Games Properly Explained book which provides dozens of filler games (once you have read it Cool )

Interesting suggestions but you'll have to pick two I'm afraid! edit: up to 3 votes, with at least 1 being for a solid 2p game

Last edited by psychomansam on Wed 25 May 2016, 10:14; edited 1 time in total
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Wed 25 May 2016, 09:04

Sam wrote:A few other good options that might have been forgotten:

Hey, That’s My Fish!
Guillotine
Cockroach Poker
Jaipur
Eight Minute Empire

Two people arriving at around 7:30 (whether separate late comers or people coming in pairs) missing out on the bigger game sign ups seems to be a common scenario at the club (at least it seems to happen to me quite a lot), and as a lot of fillers don't seem to work well with two players it's worth keeping an eye out for solid two-player games like Jaipur.

My vote would be to just get the cheapest ones, because it's more money left to put towards more fillers, and the choice of four fillers is more likely to fit the occasion than two (no matter how much those two have been debated and voted on!). That's what a filler is for, after all. Filling in the gaps.

I do think Sushi Go and Codenames are great choices (and most of the rest, really), but I'll show some love for the other options and vote for Tsuro of the Seas and Jaipur, which have always been a good time whenever I've played.

Guillotine is my other halfs favourite game. My profile pic shows it being played on our annual camping trip. Also take Eight Minute Empire: Legends on said trip.

Some wise words by Sam here about 2 player games. Currently looking like Sushi Go and Codenames winning, with a couple of other multiplayer fillers being donated by members (all donations welcome). Current runners up:
Cheaty Mages - 3+
Splendor - best with 3 according to Bgg. I do concur. Not bad two player but loses something. Also not very 'filler'.
Tsuro - best with 4, 6 according to Bgg - and I think this is a bit turd shaped with two.

In fact, there were no solid 2 player games with votes up to this point!

Jaipur is a good shout with two obviously.
Patchwork is popular at the moment? Nice game.
Hive? Never played, but very popular and ranked extremely highly on Bgg for a filler.

I know what you're thinking. Hmm! I wonder which of the top 200 on Bgg could be classed as fillers; I wonder which are borderline and which we could call confirmed fillers, and I wonder which of those are 2 player? Funny, I was thinking the same!

12: 7 Wonders: Duel (filler+) (complex - AP, time)
14: Android: Netrunner (filler+) (LCG – deck setup)
17: Codenames (FILLER)
31: Dominion: Intrigue (filler+) (setup + time)
36: Roll for the Galaxy (filler+) (time)
40: Patchwork (FILLER) (2player)
42:Dominion (filler+) (setup + time)
47: Avalon (filler+) (time due to excess bullshitting)
53: Crokinole (filler+) (time)
66: Star Realms (FILLER) (2player)
81: Splendor (filler+) (AP, time)
85: Summoner Wars (filler+) (complex - AP, time)
97: Jaipur (filler+) (time inc. setup – close though! Controversial?)
99: Space Alert (filler+) (requires equipment, time. Controversial?)
108: The Resistance (filler+) (time due to excess bullshitting)
115: Agricola: big&small (filler+) (time inc. setup)
124: Dixit Odyssey (filler+) (time)
133: Magic: The Gathering (filler+) (CCG – deck setup)
134: Dixit (filler+) (time)
140: Love Letter (FILLER)
141: Battle Line (FILLER)(2player)

150: King of Tokyo (filler+) (time)
158: Hive (FILLER)(2 player)
161: One Night Ultimate Werewolf (FILLER)
169: Neuroshima Hex! (filler+) (time)
181: Hanabi (FILLER)
184: Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (filler+) (time)
189: Telestrations (filler+) (time)

Last edited by psychomansam on Wed 25 May 2016, 09:46; edited 1 time in total
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott_Fryer Wed 25 May 2016, 09:12

Without wishing to extend the voting choices, for good two player games, lost cities & tides of time...
Scott_Fryer
Scott_Fryer
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 25 May 2016, 09:53

Sam wrote:Eight Minute Empire

Not a bad idea. I'm also thinking of similar things, like 'Tiny Epic Kingdoms' (is that right?) and there was another one, I played with Paul G and Lizzy once in the Red Deer, that was super cool and would make an excellent filler game, just can't remember it's name.
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 25 May 2016, 09:55

psychomansam wrote:Avalon (filler+) (time due to excess bullshitting)

Shocked
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

The Club Library - VOTE FOR FILLERS - WITH NEW BONUS VOTES! - Page 2 Empty NEWSFLASH

Post  systemsam Wed 25 May 2016, 10:05

NEWS JUST IN!

Due to the combined wisdom of the hive-sam-mind, all voters are now granted ONE additional vote exclusively for a 2 player game.

Obviously you could use all your votes on two player games if you haven't voted yet...

Really torn on this, but have added my vote for patchwork. A great introduction to a whole range of mechanisms, providing plenty of depth in what is a  very simple game. I think it fits the bill as being great for new and old members. And I even approve of the theme
Very Happy

Last edited by psychomansam on Wed 25 May 2016, 10:36; edited 2 times in total
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Wed 25 May 2016, 10:07

BeardyTom wrote:Lots of good suggestions above. Here's a couple more for your consideration:

For Sale
You too can live the exciting life of an estate agent!

Biblios
The cut-throat world of medieval manuscript auctions!

Red7
Cards! With different numbers and colours! Which cards are the best cards? You decide!

Tom, your votes now fit the criteria above, so I'm adding them. Feel free to object.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Wed 25 May 2016, 13:53

There was another one, I played with Paul G and Lizzy once in the Red Deer, that was super cool and would make an excellent filler game, just can't remember it's name.

Was it Eight-Minute Empire?
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Wed 25 May 2016, 14:32

RikTheChief wrote:
There was another one, I played with Paul G and Lizzy once in the Red Deer, that was super cool and would make an excellent filler game, just can't remember it's name.

Was it Eight-Minute Empire?

It was probably one of Paulyg's many kickstarter games! That card game based on perudo maybe? Something to do with cat scientists?

I'll add my 2 player vote for Patchwork.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 25 May 2016, 14:48

Lizzy wrote:It was probably one of Paulyg's many kickstarter games! That card game based on perudo maybe? Something to do with cat scientists?

It had a medieval theme, I think you could have 3 unit types each (along the lines of, knights, spear-men, crossbow-men). Each player started in the corner of the map; and the map had maybe 16 territories (think there was different maps, for different player counts).

I'm thinking it could have been called melee or something?

Yep, it was Melee: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/165657/melee
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Wed 25 May 2016, 15:36

Oh, yeah, Melee was fun. We should play that again soon.

For my 2P vote I'm going with Lost Cities.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Wed 25 May 2016, 16:10

Patchwork
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 25 May 2016, 17:47

Melee
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 25 May 2016, 17:48

paulyg wrote:Oh, yeah, Melee was fun. We should play that again soon.

Yes, absolutely, it's a very nice quick game.
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 25 May 2016, 18:50

Patchwork

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  William_ Wed 25 May 2016, 22:12

psychomansam wrote:I'm afraid!

Pah and Fie, In that case:

• Pitch-Car Mini X
  • Straw X
  • and Wings of War: Famous Aces as my 2 player choice (because all X Wing pilots have to start somewhere)
William_
William_
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Wed 25 May 2016, 23:45

Targi just got a reprint

So that gets all 3 of my votes
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Wed 25 May 2016, 23:56

JohnH wrote:Targi just got a reprint

So that gets all 3 of my votes

While I would be interested in (in true board gamer style) moving to some sort of points based system in the future (with an option for floating proxies), this is not currently allowed.

Also it's not a filler. So you don't even get one vote for it.

Thanks for your participation.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2