Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuesday 14th June

+14
Jon M
Kes
Andy S
DaveB
JonathanGuise
Jamie
PaulC
Meurig
Admin
AntW
paulyg
SamVS
karl_b
systemsam
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Tuesday 14th June - Page 3 Empty Re: Tuesday 14th June

Post  PaulC Wed 15 Jun 2016, 10:09

karl_b wrote:I enjoyed both versions of TtR tonight, UK and Pennsylvania; both bring something different to the tried and tested formula. Pennsylvania adds just one new element, allowing you to take shares in railway companies and end game scoring based on how many you collect. It adds enough to freshen it up and give you something else to think about and results in very high scoring games.

The UK map and rules have the biggest deviation from the base game of those I've played (Europe, Europa 1912, Nordic, USA, Asia Maps). It introduces technology which can be bought using locomotives. Any 4 cards can be used as a locomotive (rather than 4 of the same), hence why Paul and I were taking random cards from the deck, they can be much more valuable than usual and it's a good option if the face up cards aren't helpful. The map is much tighter and plays more like the Nordic one, relying more heavily on lots of shorter routes and there's more opportunity to block people. It feels very different and I get why some might see it as moving too far from the original game but I enjoy having an option to mix it up.

Happy to play again soon, Sam. It'll give you an opportunity to steal the moral victory back from me!

Oh and Ice Cool is ace.

I also really enjoyed both TTR games. Just sayin'.

PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Wed 15 Jun 2016, 10:11

psychomansam wrote:
JohnH wrote:In case you missed my Euphoria review:

It was delightful.

Any more details on Euphoria? Looked interesting...

It is.

Mid weight euro but it actually comes across as light because of the way it plays. There are loads of different options for you on your turn but all the mechanics just working together seamlessly means it flies over. It's complex and with enough weight to give it a fair bit of intrigue and bite, but the decisions you have to make can be taken in little chunks so AP should never really be a problem.

On top of all this, the theme is great and works well with loads of easter eggs thrown in. I'm not sad I don't have the deluxe version, but from what I've seen that just adds even more pretty pieces and art, which is only more of a good thing.

We actually played it twice, at about an hour each time. There were different strategies each time, with the markets hindering different people for different reasons, people having different powers etc etc.

It was good. Very, very good.
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Wed 15 Jun 2016, 10:42

Sam wrote:
Ice Cool's ice cool babushka box design is so inspired I am 90% sure the designer came up with the idea for the box first and the rest of the game came afterwards. Finding out that you can make the little penguin's jump by flicking their heads was the revelation of the year. Man, the Russian girl that taught us the game at the Expo (I'm remembering her with a Russian accent, but maybe that's because I just wrote "babushka") should have opened with that shit. A+ will play again

You'll be pleased to learn, Sam, that emergency surgery was carried out on Mr Blue Penguin late last night. This morning he was feeling much better and is expected to make a full recovery.
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3