Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ticket to Ride

+2
paulyg
SamVS
6 posters

Go down

Ticket to Ride Empty Ticket to Ride

Post  SamVS Wed 15 Jun 2016, 12:51

Ticket to Ride Pic38668
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Ticket to Ride Empty Re: Ticket to Ride

Post  SamVS Wed 15 Jun 2016, 12:52

I'm making the thread to find out what people's favorite maps are. I'd be interested in seeing people rank them from best to worth. If you have any other thoughts about the game in general, or have written Ticket to Ride reviews in the past, post them here also. It's really interesting to read people's board game opinions (especially if they go in to some depth).

To get things started here are mine and Karl's thoughts on the UK expansion maps that we played last night (it was the first time I'd played, and Karl had played twice):

http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com/t966p25-tuesday-14th-june

Sam wrote:Weird board. As I mentioned after we played, it does seem that taking "two from the top" — which I tried to avoid, but Karl and Paul must have spend half their turns trying to get lucky — is way more useful than in any other version of the game. I really don't like that because it leaves face up cards unchanging for so much longer, which itself encourages more taking random cards from the top of the deck, which leaves getting the cards you want down to luck. This would be bad enough, but then the locomotives are so valuable for technology and ferries, and getting them is down to luck also, so executing a particular strategy is a tedious process of hoping you'll get lucky locomotives — which is exactly what happened for the middle portion of our game. It seems to take away a lot of what I like about TtR, which is playing efficiently and flexibly. Or maybe I just wasn't playing flexibly enough, and I should hold off committing to any strategy by buying technology until later in the game, hopefully hoarding a couple of locomotives in the meantime.

Karl wrote:I enjoyed both versions of TtR tonight, UK and Pennsylvania; both bring something different to the tried and tested formula. Pennsylvania adds just one new element, allowing you to take shares in railway companies and end game scoring based on how many you collect. It adds enough to freshen it up and give you something else to think about and results in very high scoring games.

The UK map and rules have the biggest deviation from the base game of those I've played (Europe, Europa 1912, Nordic, USA, Asia Maps). It introduces technology which can be bought using locomotives. Any 4 cards can be used as a locomotive (rather than 4 of the same), hence why Paul and I were taking random cards from the deck, they can be much more valuable than usual and it's a good option if the face up cards aren't helpful. The map is much tighter and plays more like the Nordic one, relying more heavily on lots of shorter routes and there's more opportunity to block people. It feels very different and I get why some might see it as moving too far from the original game but I enjoy having an option to mix it up.

And this is what I said about the co-operative Asia map last year (after playing once):

http://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com/t510p25-tuesday-6th-january

Sam wrote:Ticket to Ride Asia, the teams version, feels somehow more co-operative than the more traditional examples (Pandemic etc.), because you aren't allowed to confer, which takes away the opportunity for the stronger player to take control from the weaker, they can only attempt to understand the other player based on their game actions, and attempt to assist, hoping it will pay dividends. Each player has their private ticket cards as well as the shared ones, so your attention is spit between helping them and helping yourself, and even when your team mate takes an action that makes your own turn harder you have to acknowledge they have their own ambitions, that will ultimately benefit the partnership. It's like a marriage between two sociopaths.

The no conferring rules also gives the opportunity to amusingly interpret every grunt and twitch from members of opposing teams as a complex strategic communication and therefore a rules infraction.

Last edited by Sam on Wed 15 Jun 2016, 13:02; edited 1 time in total
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 15 Jun 2016, 12:59

Ticket to Ride Anne-01
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Wed 15 Jun 2016, 13:03

I don't have too much to add here because I've only played on three of the maps. From favourite to least, my ranking is: UK, US (original), Europe.

I'm interested in Sam's comments above about blind draws, because we didn't have that issue with UK. Though I've only played it once. Adding the extra locomotives into the deck meant that there was a steady supply in our game and we didn't have to resort to blind draws any more than usual (from what I remember). I really like the technology aspect of the UK as it does add a significant amount to think about, making it a deeper game without feeling tacked on.

I prefer the US map to Europe just because Europe never seems to get the same level of claustrophobia. Could just be the games I've played, but Europe always feels more like everyone getting on with their stuff whilst the US has far more "aaaaaagh!" moments. Could be partly due to the station mechanic in Europe as well. However, I am definitely not a fan of the tiny cards that come with the US edition. Most annoying thing to shuffle ever.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 15 Jun 2016, 13:14

I found I preferred Europe to US - it is a bit too easy to get stuffed in the US one, even completely by accdent.

Really should play some of the other maps! I bought UK at the expo but not tried it yet.

Paul is absolutely right about the half size cards - I hate using them in any game.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Wed 15 Jun 2016, 16:00

I'm with PaulyG on the US vs Europe debate. Europe never feels as challenging to me, there are always stations to get you out of a fix.

My favourite map before last night was probably Switzerland, because of the inter-country routes, but I really enjoyed the UK and Penn. maps last night.

I'll bring Switzerland in a couple of weeks, to enable us to compare and contrast... Smile
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Fri 17 Jun 2016, 22:29

PaulC wrote:
I'll bring Switzerland in a couple of weeks, to enable us to compare and contrast... Smile

Ooo, I'll look forward to it.

I'm torn on US vs. Europe. I agree that Europe is a little too easy going in terms of blocking, though if you're trying to wring out every point you'll avoid using stations anyway. I do think it loses some elegance with the extra rules, like tunnels and stations. But I do really like the wrinkles it introduces with with ferries and tunnels. It just just makes weighing up the options a little more interesting. Those feature keep coming back in new maps. Those that don't use them introduce their own new mechanics. It's been a long while since I've played US, but I think I might find it a little plain, whereas I know Europe will be as fun as ever.

Still haven't played Nordic Countries, which I believe are the maps infamous for being brutal for blocking. Let's play them too Very Happy
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 24 Jun 2016, 17:46

PaulC wrote:I'm with PaulyG on the US vs Europe debate. Europe never feels as challenging to me, there are always stations to get you out of a fix.

Smile

To me that is exactly the point. It's an entry level game. I don't want to annoy new players by working to my optimal strategy (which I would do) - getting routes, blocking others etc, without them able to do anything to meet their goals because they are new to the game and didn't realise. I think Europe with its stations is the ideal balance. Player loses a minor amount of VP to still be in the game...

If I want a cut throat game where experience pays I'll play TI3...

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Fri 24 Jun 2016, 20:22

Have people seen the world map?

There's BOATS!
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun