Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuesday 12th July

+15
bigpaulie
Jon M
SamVS
Meurig
AndyM
Andy S
Dale
Kes
Evilevan
JohnH
Jamie
Lizzy
paulyg
PaulC
Admin
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Tuesday 12th July - Page 2 Empty Re: Tuesday 12th July

Post  AndyM Thu 07 Jul 2016, 14:17

I do Andy but I've already signed up for another game...!

AndyM
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Thu 07 Jul 2016, 17:10

Dale wrote:
JohnH wrote:I'm bringing Fury of Dracula.

Plays 5

1.JohnH
2.DaveB
3.Dale

I'd like in on this please Very Happy

2 spots left!
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Meurig Fri 08 Jul 2016, 11:23

I'll play Dracula with you.
Meurig
Meurig
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Conjunctio Sat 09 Jul 2016, 09:33

I'd like to play Dracula.

It would be my first time down on a Tuesday.

I've only played it a couple of times five or more years ago. Will that matter much?

Cheers,

Matt

Ps
Is it a 7pm start?

Conjunctio
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Sat 09 Jul 2016, 10:57

Conjunctio wrote:I'd like to play Dracula.

It would be my first time down on a Tuesday.

I've only played it a couple of times five or more years ago. Will that matter much?

Cheers,

Matt

Ps
Is it a 7pm start?

This is the newer edition, so there have been a few rule changes.

I'll cover the rules on Tuesday, but there are a few videos out there (DriveThruReview had a good one iirc), and the whole rules are online

and yes, it's a 7pm start
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sat 09 Jul 2016, 17:14

I'll play PtP if you have enough players, Andy.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon M Mon 11 Jul 2016, 12:21

Jamie wrote:Okay, awesome, so far for Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space, we have:

1. Jamie
2. Evan
3. Andy M
4. Kes

... plays 2 to 8, it's pretty quick to explain the rules and play a game, so expect we'll get a couple of games in.

Hi jamie I'll grab a spot and thanks for mailing over the small world scans !
Jon M
Jon M
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 11 Jul 2016, 12:39

JohnH wrote:This is the newer edition, so there have been a few rule changes.

I'll cover the rules on Tuesday, but there are a few videos out there (DriveThruReview had a good one iirc), and the whole rules are online

and yes, it's a 7pm start

Shut Up & Sit Down did a pretty good "How to play" video that covers the basics: Linky

Also the Esoteric Order of Gamers put together a handy rules summary too: Another linky
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Mon 11 Jul 2016, 14:13

Jon M wrote:Hi jamie I'll grab a spot and thanks for mailing over the small world scans !

Added you Jon. See you there!
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Tuesday 12th July - Page 2 Empty Escape from the Aliens

Post  bigpaulie Mon 11 Jul 2016, 15:27

Hi Jamie - happy to give this a go if you still have space, followed by anything else that people want to pull me into - and yes I promise I will show up this week, have told work not to mess with me two weeks in a row!
bigpaulie
bigpaulie
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy S Mon 11 Jul 2016, 15:41

Sam wrote:I'll play PtP if you have enough players, Andy.

Cheers Sam. I'll bring it down and maybe there will be enough people loitering about to make up the numbers.
Andy S
Andy S
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Tue 12 Jul 2016, 11:32

bigpaulie wrote:Hi Jamie - happy to give this a go if you still have space, followed by anything else that people want to pull me into - and yes I promise I will show up this week, have told work not to mess with me two weeks in a row!

Added you to the list ... and there's still room for 2 more!

I'll probably be a bit late tonight, expect I'll get there for 7:15. Can someone who is playing Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space, grab a board please. See you all there! Smile
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  OzD Tue 12 Jul 2016, 12:06

Hey guys, I'm new to Sheffield and thought I'd pop my head in tonight, though I may be a little late. I'm happy to play anything that people need another player for. hope that's alright?

Cheers

Oz

OzD
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Tue 12 Jul 2016, 12:08

OzD wrote:Hey guys, I'm new to Sheffield and thought I'd pop my head in tonight, though I may be a little late. I'm happy to play anything that people need another player for. hope that's alright?

Cheers

Oz
Definitely! There will be plenty of games on the go, so come along and join in with something. Hope to see you later.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyM Tue 12 Jul 2016, 12:30

Hey Jamie, I'm going to bail to play path to panic of that's OK, you look like you have enough anyway
AndyM
AndyM
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy S Tue 12 Jul 2016, 13:38

AndyM wrote:Hey Jamie, I'm going to bail to play path to panic of that's OK, you look like you have enough anyway

Mighty kind of you, Andy, but don't feel obligated! Of course I greatly appreciate when people volunteer to play Path to Panic, but I ultimately want people to play whatever they want to play. Anyway, I'll be there 'round 6 tonight.
Andy S
Andy S
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 12 Jul 2016, 14:09

Um... hopefully this won't be a problem later but there is currently a large pile of rubble blocking my car into the drive (they're stripping the road surface on my street at the moment)

So I hope to still be along! Smile

All clear!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Tue 12 Jul 2016, 16:35

AndyM wrote:Hey Jamie, I'm going to bail to play path to panic of that's OK, you look like you have enough anyway

No problem Andy, have fun with PTP. Smile
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl_H Tue 12 Jul 2016, 17:25

Anyone want to join us on Power Grid? Room for 3 more.
1. Me
2. Leanne
3. James
Carl_H
Carl_H
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Thu 14 Jul 2016, 12:48

So I really enjoyed Fury of Dracula for the most part but both times I've played it's definitely run uncomfortably long for a Tuesday night session. Also it feels somewhat anticlimactic for the game to finish by Dracula running out the clock...
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Thu 14 Jul 2016, 13:10

DaveB wrote:So I really enjoyed Fury of Dracula for the most part but both times I've played it's definitely run uncomfortably long for a Tuesday night session. Also it feels somewhat anticlimactic for the game to finish by Dracula running out the clock...

That was the longest it has run for me, for sure, and I actually think that is the longest it could have possibly run (as Dracula got 0 points until the final week), but we arguably played the game twice due to the board being almost reset (except for the time track) after Leipzig.

I still really enjoyed it though, and it definitely swung back and forth a lot (which is what I really love about this game).

I'm sure Meurig felt we were always close on his tail and I have to say that he used his cards and special abilities really well and at the right times and on the right people to hurt the hunters the most. It was definitely in Dracula's best interest to drag the game out in this particular game though, as the Hunters were doing so well at keeping on top of the encounters and vampires he was putting on the trail, and as I said, the board was basically reset so he had less time to wait for the 3rd despair token.

We just couldn't seem to engineer another combat where the Hunters had the advantage (although I think that if we had about 2 or 3 more turns the Hunters could've just about done it) and that was largely down to Meurig's good play with delaying and moving us around and constantly taking away Mina's weapons, so that when she found him again she didn't really want to fight.
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Thu 14 Jul 2016, 13:39

JohnH wrote:That was the longest it has run for me, for sure, and I actually think that is the longest it could have possibly run (as Dracula got 0 points until the final week), but we arguably played the game twice due to the board being almost reset (except for the time track) after Leipzig.

Excellent point, we did max out the possible number of turns - not quite the same as the longest the game can run though Smile

JohnH wrote:I still really enjoyed it though, and it definitely swung back and forth a lot (which is what I really love about this game).

Up until the last half hour I did too - thats as much my fault though - I really don't like getting home too late after the club and finishing at 2330 meant I wasn't in bed til way later than I like to on a school night! I guess getting trapped in place just when I might finally have had a chance for a scrap was very frustrating!

JohnH wrote:I'm sure Meurig felt we were always close on his tail and I have to say that he used his cards and special abilities really well and at the right times and on the right people to hurt the hunters the most. It was definitely in Dracula's best interest to drag the game out in this particular game though, as the Hunters were doing so well at keeping on top of the encounters and vampires he was putting on the trail, and as I said, the board was basically reset so he had less time to wait for the 3rd despair token.

We just couldn't seem to engineer another combat where the Hunters had the advantage (although I think that if we had about 2 or 3 more turns the Hunters could've just about done it) and that was largely down to Meurig's good play with delaying and moving us around and constantly taking away Mina's weapons, so that when she found him again she didn't really want to fight.

Yes, Much as Meurig had crappy luck with actually maturing cards he did play everything else really well. Miffed I didn't get a chance for a scrap, I was pretty much loaded for bear and should have been able to give him a very bloody nose Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Meurig Thu 14 Jul 2016, 21:21

Yeah, I did try to get some vampires home but you guys were always hot on my tail and packing stakes. And I so nearly got killed in my very first encounter that I was very keen to avoid combat if possible, particularly with those of you who had been hoarding cards for ages. So I felt like running and delaying was my only route to victory, and I was convinced I was going to fail at that until I gave you the slip in a fog and storm covered Barcelona!
Meurig
Meurig
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Conjunctio Mon 18 Jul 2016, 21:20

It didn't help matters much that Mina ran scared, unable to appreciate fully the idea of confronting Dracula in a fight to what she thought would be her death.

...It won't happen again...!

Matt

Conjunctio
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2