Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Napoleon's Triumph

3 posters

Go down

Napoleon's Triumph Empty Napoleon's Triumph

Post  swilbur Sat 19 Nov 2022, 18:53

Anybody interested in playing Napoleon's Triumph?  It's a masterpiece block wargame with zero luck, lots of uncertainty due to the fog of war, and a beautiful aesthetic that looks like an 19th-century battle map.  Unfortunately, I have no one to play it with (and a long 2-player game probably won't get played at a regular Tuesday meeting without a prearrangement).

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Napoleon's Triumph Empty Re: Napoleon's Triumph

Post  systemsam Sun 20 Nov 2022, 10:09

Happy to give this a try at some point. My biggest objection to wargames (and any other games that employ the same mechanism) is in the lobbing of 🎲. Too often strategy is trumped by lady luck, and while that may be realistic, I prefer to save pseudo-random unknowable deterministic fate to real life - and maintain actual control over events where possible, even if it is only in realms of collective imagination. But I'm pretty sure you knew that already.

Weekends are hotly contested in the run up to the festive season. I may be available one day of the 10th/11th Dec but don't yet know. A little concerned at trying to squeeze into a 7pm start, but perhaps we could do it midweek at some point with an earlier (straight from work?) sort of timing
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

swilbur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Sun 20 Nov 2022, 11:43

systemsam wrote:My biggest objection to wargames (and any other games that employ the same mechanism) is in the lobbing of 🎲.

Yeah, I think we have very similar feelings on that point. Rachel Simmons designed a few others with low luck if you're interested in her style (and one of them (Triomphe à Marengo) is even in print!). Napoleon's Triumph did show up on the GeekList of "Games that you hate because they claim to have Strategy, but they're basically Pure Luck" but... well, go read that list. It's amusing.

I'm happy to show up early on a Tuesday or invite you over sometime. Box time is 2-3 hours, probably a bit longer for someone's first game.

(There are team-based multiplayer rules if anyone wants to try them, but I don't think they're a good idea for anyone's first game. They include strict limits on communication between team members, so everyone should probably know the rules first.)

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

systemsam likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Sun 20 Nov 2022, 13:27

Either sounds good.

That list is brilliant. An incredibly broad definition of 'random' is being used when Go is on the list (random because too complicated to analyse - it's a fair point, but not randomness). 1830 too. Although I get the issue if you use a draft, the newer auction system essentially removes randomness (though I think the draft in 1846 works quite well due to a broad set of viable options). Plenty of the other criticisms are 'I can't predict other player actions so it's random'. Presumably they prefer solo games.
Despite the mix of genuine criticism amd intentional jest, there is a lot of interesting game theory being touched on - accidentally I think!
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

swilbur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  paulby Thu 29 Jun 2023, 21:56

I'm very down to play Napoleans triumph if you still want someone to play with.

I've just discovered this club, hello

paulby
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

swilbur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Fri 30 Jun 2023, 08:53

paulby wrote:I'm very down to play Napoleans triumph if you still want someone to play with.

I've just discovered this club, hello

Welcome!  I can bring it to the Sunday meeting this weekend (1pm at the Red Deer) if you're planning to be there.  If you already know the rules then playing on a Tuesday evening (7pm at the University Arms) would also work, but a rules teach plus a first game might be tough to squeeze in before the pub closes.

(Also, if we count you we now have four people in the club who like the game.  I've heard it's excellent with the four-player rules; maybe we can organize a multiplayer game sometime.)

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  paulby Fri 30 Jun 2023, 22:03

Ah great Very Happy,
I'm on holiday this week, though should be able to come to sessions after

paulby
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

swilbur likes this post