Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuesday 23rd August

+15
systemsam
AdamB
Jon M
Meurig
Jen_K
StephenW
AntW
Jamie
JamesETT
RikTheChief
Kes
Lizzy
paulyg
Dale
Admin
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tuesday 23rd August - Page 2 Empty Re: Tuesday 23rd August

Post  Jen_K Sun 21 Aug 2016, 12:00

I'd like to play Pillars of the Earth

Jen_K
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Meurig Sun 21 Aug 2016, 12:04

Aneurin wrote:So I should be there but not until 7pm. I'll eat at home. I'm keen to play Lewis & Clark or Mare Nostrum. Both 5 players...

Anyone game?

Lewis & Clark
1- Aneurin
2- John H
3-
4-
5-
I'll play if you don't mind me joining you again.
Meurig
Meurig
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Sun 21 Aug 2016, 12:08

AntW wrote:I'd like to play Vast if there's a spot left, which would make me the Thief?

Sure, no probs.
Dale
Dale
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Sun 21 Aug 2016, 12:20

It looks really cool actually. My mission of waking up and running away is a bit odd. I would prefer to have to kill and eat Lizzy's knight.
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Sun 21 Aug 2016, 12:27

Kes wrote:It looks really cool actually. My mission of waking up and running away is a bit odd. I would prefer to have to kill and eat Lizzy's knight.

Scaredy cat dragon Very Happy
Dale
Dale
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 21 Aug 2016, 15:19

Meurig wrote:
Aneurin wrote:So I should be there but not until 7pm. I'll eat at home. I'm keen to play Lewis & Clark or Mare Nostrum. Both 5 players...

Anyone game?

Lewis & Clark
1- Aneurin
2- John H
3- Meurig
4-
5-

It'll be our pleasure. Our domination of heavy euros continues. Thinking of Prodigals club afterwards if there is time

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon M Sun 21 Aug 2016, 17:09

RikTheChief wrote:I've managed to find a 2nd hand copy of Pillars of the Earth, I got it because it's always appearing on the Dice Tower top 10 lists. Plays 4 in about 90-120 minutes

Worker placement game about building a Cathedral in the Middle Ages.

Rick
Jen

Put me down for some pillars action !
Jon M
Jon M
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamB Mon 22 Aug 2016, 14:14

I'd like to try Pillars of the Earth too. Heard good things about it.

AdamB
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 23 Aug 2016, 09:50

John & Meurig - I won't be down until around 7.30-8pm
So play a filler until I get there!

Sorry! Will be as quick as I can.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Meurig Tue 23 Aug 2016, 10:26

I'll bring Cube Quest down, John.
Meurig
Meurig
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Tue 23 Aug 2016, 11:02

Aneurin wrote:
Meurig wrote:

Anyone game?

Lewis & Clark
1- Aneurin
2- John H
3- Meurig
4-
5-

It'll be our pleasure. Our domination of heavy euros continues. Thinking of Prodigals club afterwards if there is time

I'll take that last slot if poss.

Might bring down Notre Dame if anyone has time for something a bit simpler / quicker afterwards.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Realfinney Tue 23 Aug 2016, 15:34

Hi folks, I'm Andrew, I got talking to Aneurin the other day who mentioned you.

Will hopefully be stopping by tonight before 7pm. Be great to go on the reserve list for eclipse, other than that I'll bring some things down and am fairly easy.

Realfinney
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 23 Aug 2016, 15:44

There should be space for Lewis and Clark Wink

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Tue 23 Aug 2016, 16:52

Realfinney wrote:Be great to go on the reserve list for eclipse, other than that I'll bring some things down and am fairly easy.

Nice to meet you Andrew. I'll add you to the reserves list for Eclipse. Will get the game setup and ready to go for 7:00. If we have a no-show, you'll be able to jump in.

Just wanted to try it with 4 players tonight, and see how it pans out time wise. If you don't get in tonight, I'll be bringing it along again, so there'll be more opportunities to play.

Hope to bring it once a month or so, and depending on time constraints, we can up the number of rounds to 9 and introduce alien races and maybe 6 players. Doing all of that at once though, would probably take a bit too long for a Tuesday evening! See how we go tonight.

Jamie. Smile
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Tue 23 Aug 2016, 17:05

I'll be there. Will play anything going. Anyone got any ideas?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed 24 Aug 2016, 01:08

Great game of Eclipse, and a well deserved victory for Stephen! I didn't win (again, sadly, it's getting to be a habit) but enjoyed a little hot plasma missile death fest!

We only played 7 rounds and all with humans, there was quite a bit of explaining rules and game mechanics, but we managed to finish just in time.

Hope you all enjoyed it!
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Wed 24 Aug 2016, 01:19

Really enjoyed tonight, even in the heat.

It was the first time i've gotten to play Cube Quest, and after some initial heavy handedness I think I got the hang of it. Light, fun, quick. Apologies to the guys I hit with my stray goblins.

Lewis & Clark was a really good game. I feel I cheated it a bit as my whole strategy relied upon being behind everyone, taking my time and letting the others all get ahead, before leapfrogging into the lead. I only ever used 3 cards to move (and 1 of those only once to round it all off). I do think this partiular run through was a bit anticlimactic though, and it seemed the last few rounds we were just waiting for me to end the game.

Notre Dame was brilliant. I reckon we timed it just about perfectly and it packed so much game into that 45mins. I wish it had more variability, but the expansion has eluded me for ages now. Meurig won with an amazing score, and I don't think he ever helped out in building the cathedral.

Unlucky Aneurin, maybe you'll win something next week? Smile
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Wed 24 Aug 2016, 11:24

JohnH wrote:
Notre Dame was brilliant. I reckon we timed it just about perfectly and it packed so much game into that 45mins. I wish it had more variability, but the expansion has eluded me for ages now. Meurig won with an amazing score, and I don't think he ever helped out in building the cathedral.
I love Notre Dame (as does Kat)! But I didn't even know there was an expansion. If you find it then buy two copies :-)

I enjoyed our games last night. Vast was fun, though we all felt that the dragon seemed a bit OP. It could be that the strategy for other roles are a bit more subtle, though, or perhaps we have to work together better to stop that big lizard. Booze Barons is an interesting twist on deduction and hidden roles (in teams) but would probably be best at a high player count. And I continue to really enjoy Mainframe despite it being completely abstract with the most pasted on theme in the history of board games Smile
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:12

paulyg wrote:
JohnH wrote:
I love Notre Dame (as does Kat)! But I didn't even know there was an expansion. If you find it then buy two copies :-)

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/165350/notre-dame-new-persons

Never released as a stand alone. Doubles the number of character cards leading to more variation in the game.

JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:16

JohnH wrote:
paulyg wrote:
JohnH wrote:

Never released as a stand alone. Doubles the number of character cards leading to more variation in the game.
Ah, yes, that sounds good. Only £340 on Amazon for the Treasure Chest! affraid
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:23

paulyg wrote:
JohnH wrote:
paulyg wrote:
JohnH wrote:

Ah, yes, that sounds good. Only £340 on Amazon for the Treasure Chest! affraid

Yeah, like you said, if you could get 2 copies....
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:26

JohnH wrote:Unlucky Aneurin, maybe you'll win something next week? Smile

Nah - I'd like to continue my current losing streak for a while longer.

Have you tried Pm'ing Stefan? He might send the artwork out so you can get them printed for the club? He can only say no.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:27

paulyg wrote:And I continue to really enjoy Mainframe despite it being completely abstract with the most pasted on theme in the history of board games Smile

Yeah I really enjoy Mainframe. I'm not very good at it though!

Merchants & Marauders was a very interesting game last night - it was much less confrontational (at least at the start) than I've seen in the past - much bigger focus on Merchanting.

I managed some truly spectacular arsing up of resolving a rumor that cost me my captain and quite a bit of progress due to a complete failing to understand text properly Smile

It seems, however, that every time I play that I enjoy it more, which can only be a good sign!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  AntW Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:29

paulyg wrote:I enjoyed our games last night. Vast was fun, though we all felt that the dragon seemed a bit OP. It could be that the strategy for other roles are a bit more subtle, though, or perhaps we have to work together better to stop that big lizard.

I also really enjoyed Vast, it it definitely seemed like we was doing something wrong for the Dragon to have such an easy time. I think we may have done the odd thing wrong, but it wouldn't have changed the game much if at all... Just seemed too easy for the Dragon to feast on the Goblins so they ended up doing not a great deal, while the Dragon just snowballed to victory. Maybe the Knight needed more assistance from the Cave with treasures and use the Thief as death fodder to mass Grit fast? It was fun though Smile
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:31

AntW wrote:
paulyg wrote:I enjoyed our games last night. Vast was fun, though we all felt that the dragon seemed a bit OP. It could be that the strategy for other roles are a bit more subtle, though, or perhaps we have to work together better to stop that big lizard.

I also really enjoyed Vast, it it definitely seemed like we was doing something wrong for the Dragon to have such an easy time. I think we may have done the odd thing wrong, but it wouldn't have changed the game much if at all... Just seemed too easy for the Dragon to feast on the Goblins so they ended up doing not a great deal, while the Dragon just snowballed to victory. Maybe the Knight needed more assistance from the Cave with treasures and use the Thief as death fodder to mass Grit fast? It was fun though Smile
Yes, I suspect that having played it once we'd all now be much more focused on giving the dragon a hard time from the start. Or perhaps adjusting the difficulty settings for some of the characters. I like the amount of variety in the game with all the scenarios and variants - possibly just needs a bit of 'tuning' to get a more satisfying game?
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Wed 24 Aug 2016, 12:42

Aneurin wrote:
JohnH wrote:Unlucky Aneurin, maybe you'll win something next week? Smile

Nah - I'd like to continue my current losing streak for a while longer.

Have you tried Pm'ing Stefan? He might send the artwork out so you can get them printed for the club? He can only say no.

contact... Stefan Feld?

affraid
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next