Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roll With It - Fundraising Help

+8
Andy S
paulyg
PaulC
Ste
Lizzy
Admin
DaveB
RD52169
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Roll With It - Fundraising Help Empty Roll With It - Fundraising Help

Post  RD52169 Fri 10 Mar 2017, 09:48

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to run Roll With It again.

However I'm delaying the date to run in February 2018, due to me getting married at the end of the year, and having a lot to sort out for that too.

So first I would like to check if any of you are interested and available to volunteer to run games again next February?

If so, would anyone be interested in helping out with some fundraising and promotion?
What I'm looking at doing is running some x-Wing tournaments. At Patriot Games, and another at The Outpost (I need to check this is okay with both Jim and Chris). I'd charge £5 entry. Some of the takings would be used to buy a prize for the winner and runner up and the rest would go towards covering the venue cost for Roll With It.

The reason I need help is that I don't have much time as, Aviva have started opening weekends meaning I'm working more of them. So I just want someone to help run the tournaments.

If you have any other ideas, that would be great too Smile

Rob

RD52169
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Roll With It - Fundraising Help Empty Re: Roll With It - Fundraising Help

Post  DaveB Fri 10 Mar 2017, 10:22

RD52169 wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm looking to run Roll With It again.

However I'm delaying the date to run in February 2018, due to me getting married at the end of the year, and having a lot to sort out for that too.

So first I would like to check if any of you are interested and available to volunteer to run games again next February?

If so, would anyone be interested in helping out with some fundraising and promotion?
What I'm looking at doing is running some x-Wing tournaments. At Patriot Games, and another at The Outpost (I need to check this is okay with both Jim and Chris). I'd charge £5 entry. Some of the takings would be used to buy a prize for the winner and runner up and the rest would go towards covering the venue cost for Roll With It.

The reason I need help is that I don't have much time as, Aviva have started opening weekends meaning I'm working more of them. So I just want someone to help run the tournaments.

If you have any other ideas, that would be great too Smile

Rob

I had fun last year, would definitely be up for helping out again Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 10 Mar 2017, 10:26

I'm game - obviously... just avoid my birthday Wink.

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:01

If I'm free I'll help out in February for sure, but I might be away.

Kes and I can definitely organise an X-Wing event for fundraising. Presumably you'd want to do that beforehand sometime? If we do it in a quiet part of the X-Wing year we could make it a pretty big event. I'm sure Jim would be up for helping after the success of the regional he organised and if we can get people to donate some prizes then we can charge more.

Bascially you can leave that bit to us!
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:04

Perhaps have a combined FFG star wars event... don't exclude us IA players! Again post May it'll be quiet until winter so would be a good time and I'm sure the London lot would come up! Or the Armada lot... be great to see everyone in the same room.

We could pen a letter to FFG asking for prize packs? Don't get if you don't ask.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:12

Yeah, I'm thinking big here! We can definitely ask FFG if they'll donate anything. Cog o Two are often generous with donations so I'll ask them. And just ask the community if they'll donate anything. They're a good lot and I'm sure people have alt arts and stuff like that they can donate. I know I do!

If we get tournaments for other events going, we'll need people to TO them. Do you know who might do that for IA? Erik might TO for Armada? Or I can ask Keith Wilson.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:14

Either myself or Lee Doulton - if he doesn't want to play...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:21

Lee Dalton? Didn't know he played IA. He TOed the Sheffield X-Wing regional. I'm sure he'd be up for helping anyway so I can ask him.

We could try to tie the tournaments together somehow, but in my experience people seem to just prefer straight 100 point tournaments.

Any ideas for a name for the event?
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 10 Mar 2017, 11:24

Use the Force & Roll with it?

Replace the D6's in the logo with the relevant dice from the 3/4 games if we include Destiny?

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Fri 10 Mar 2017, 12:02

Aneurin wrote:Use the Force & Roll with it?

Replace the D6's in the logo with the relevant dice from the 3/4 games if we include Destiny?

Barrell Roll with it
Roll with the Force

That's all I got, sorry!
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Fri 10 Mar 2017, 12:27

Barrell Roll With It takes the lead!

Destiny as well?! The more I think about it the more I think it's better to stick to X-wing. Most people who play the others also part X-wing so we'd just be complicating things rather than attracting more people
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RD52169 Fri 10 Mar 2017, 13:31

Lizzy wrote:Barrell Roll With It takes the lead!

Destiny as well?! The more I think about it the more I think it's better to stick to X-wing. Most people who play the others also part X-wing so we'd just be complicating things rather than attracting more people

I agree, I think sticking to 1 game means a better chance of a bigger tournament and attracting more prize donations and more people.
We could look at running a different tournament at a different time of the year...

I'm glad you think it's a good idea and really appreciate your support.
I'll speak to Jim and get his thoughts too.

RD52169
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 10 Mar 2017, 14:06

RD52169 wrote:

I agree, I think sticking to 1 game means a better chance of a bigger tournament and attracting more prize donations and more people.
We could look at running a different tournament at a different time of the year...

If that's the case I won't be there. Not a chance I can play X-wing with the big guns now. Not with my limp collection. Shame.

I actually disagree with this idea (just Xwing) for what its worth... Reasons...
1) It's no different to the many other 'local' X-wing comps out there. What would the attraction be to get the extra numbers? Inclusion of other FFG stars wars games could make it feel like a different event to the usual.
2) The IA community is small and so would only work alongside something like this - not as a separate event. Presume similar for Armada.
3) 1 game running will not equal more people. There are lots of people that only play 1 of these SW FFG games (who can afford multiple FFG systems!). People only moan about the parallel 'official' events as they want a shot at all the 'exclusive' official FFG merchandise. IMO this wouldn't be the case at a more local event, prizes would be more random and people would play what they enjoy.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  RD52169 Fri 10 Mar 2017, 14:38

Aneurin wrote:
RD52169 wrote:

If that's the case I won't be there. Not a chance I can play X-wing with the big guns now. Not with my limp collection. Shame.

I actually disagree with this idea (just Xwing) for what its worth... Reasons...
1) It's no different to the many other 'local' X-wing comps out there. What would the attraction be to get the extra numbers? Inclusion of other FFG stars wars games could make it feel like a different event to the usual.
2) The IA community is small and so would only work alongside something like this - not as a separate event. Presume similar for Armada.
3) 1 game running will not equal more people. There are lots of people that only play 1 of these SW FFG games (who can afford multiple FFG systems!). People only moan about the parallel 'official' events as they want a shot at all the 'exclusive' official FFG merchandise. IMO this wouldn't be the case at a more local event, prizes would be more random and people would play what they enjoy.

Good point

RD52169
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Mon 13 Mar 2017, 09:16

Happy to help!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 13 Mar 2017, 09:24

Happy to help if I'm around (I'm on holiday for the second half of Feb)! Was great fun last year.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy S Mon 13 Mar 2017, 13:28

I'm happy to run games again (probably Mysterium, among others, that went down very well last time) and February should be fine. I can't really think of anything I could do to assist in the fundraising, but when it is closer to the date of the event, my offer once again stands to disseminate leaflets throughout Sheffield libraries.

I don't think I ever heard how much you raised in the end last time - can you recall?
Andy S
Andy S
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  RD52169 Thu 16 Mar 2017, 22:15

I've spoken to Jim who is happy for us to Run a tournament at Patriot games, but we need to come up with some dates as he needs to make sure he's got nothing else going on (he still needs to make money and he's not getting anything from our tournament)

I've spoken to the guys at outpost too who say we could run a tournament there too but we'd have to give them some dates for the same reason. They also suggested that we'd need to wait til at least July.

RD52169
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm Sat 18 Mar 2017, 22:23

I will help. Not sure what with yet. But I enjoyed last years Roll with it. In fact if it wasn't for that I wouldn't have known about the board games club.
P.s. I do like the sound of both the xwing and IA tournaments. Just picked up a copy of IA for free and played a few skirmishes and really like it.

Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 19 Mar 2017, 07:14

Ianm wrote: Just picked up a copy of IA for free and played a few skirmishes and really like it.

And we haven't played yet why?

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm Sun 19 Mar 2017, 07:31

Aneurin wrote:
Ianm wrote: Just picked up a copy of IA for free and played a few skirmishes and really like it.

Just got it last week and have been working until yesterday. Certainly up for a game. Asap
Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 19 Mar 2017, 10:08

Ianm wrote:
Aneurin wrote:

Just got it last week and have been working until yesterday. Certainly up for a game. Asap

Can you get out to Deepcar?

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm Sun 19 Mar 2017, 14:05

Aneurin wrote:
Ianm wrote:
Aneurin wrote:

Can you get out to Deepcar?

Yeah no probs. I have a bike and live in the north side of sheffield anyway.
Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  RD52169 Tue 20 Jun 2017, 11:58

I can now confirm I now have a date and venue.
The next event is 18 February 2018 (tried to avoid your bday Aneurin)

It's at the same place as last year Hilton Sheffield, Victoria Quays, Furnival Road.

Does this sound okay to everyone?

This year I've had interest from a couple of companies, Galeforce 9 and Coiled Spring Games.
I'm still awaiting confirmation of how involved they want to be. Galeforce 9 have recently started supplying patriot games and are trying to work something out to benefit both.

I've had a few donations so far, 6 of the games are from. Brain-Games, who are happy for me to give them away, but would like them demonstrated too.
If anyone is interested in doing so, I'll pass them on so rules can be learned and stuff.

So can you let me know if you wanna demo some games again this year. I really appreciate all the help you guys give and I really couldn't do this without you

RD52169
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 20 Jun 2017, 12:02

RD52169 wrote:I can now confirm I now have a date and venue.
The next event is 18 February 2018 (tried to avoid your bday Aneurin)

It's at the same place as last year Hilton Sheffield, Victoria Quays, Furnival Road.

Does this sound okay to everyone?

This year I've had interest from a couple of companies, Galeforce 9 and Coiled Spring Games.
I'm still awaiting confirmation of how involved they want to be. Galeforce 9 have recently started supplying patriot games and are trying to work something out to benefit both.

I've had a few donations so far, 6 of the games are from. Brain-Games, who are happy for me to give them away, but would like them demonstrated too.
If anyone is interested in doing so, I'll pass them on so rules can be learned and stuff.

So can you let me know if you wanna demo some games again this year. I really appreciate all the help you guys give and I really couldn't do this without you

I'd be happy to demo the games - can check out how kid friendly they are with the boys

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next