Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wargame type Wargames and RPG

3 posters

Go down

Wargame type Wargames and RPG Empty Wargame type Wargames and RPG

Post  Conjunctio Sun 20 Jan 2019, 12:40

Hello to all,

I thought I would send a post to ask if anyone likes playing the these types of games in the thread title (specifically)?

Unfortunately I can't easily get to the weekday evening meetings because of long commutes. Sunday is more possible or ad hoc ie on Saturdays or occasional breaks from work or Friday nights. I also find the type of games I like to play are hard to fit in one session of three hours and usually require extended sessions or over two or three sessions.

So if there are any of you out there that like these type of games it would be good to hear from you and maybe set something up. Here's a list of some games I have/like as examples:

Two Player.
Conflict of Heroes (also plays 2-4) WW2
Command & Colors.
Bonaparte at Marengo or napoleon's Triumph.
Kevin Zucker's system for Napoleonic Battles ie Four Lost Battles
Hell of Stalingrad (not played this yet).
War of the Ring
Omaha Beach
Twilight Struggle

Group/Multi-player.
Blood Royale (4-5 player).
Dune (4-6)
Pendragon or Falling Sky (Coin system by GMT games 2-4 players).
Leader 1 (Cycling tour de France game (3-6)

RPG type boardgame/strategy.
Dungeon Twister (2-4 player)
Dorn (2-6)
Mansions of Madness (1-5)
Wizard Quest (3-5)

Wargames Proper.
Napoleon's Battles system.
De Belis Multitudinis (DBM) for Tolkien themed mass battles (2-6)
I modified these rules to a hex-based system for easier play.

I'd like to play Middle Earth quest or maybe Twilight Struggle of Empires if anyone has those.

Thanks for considering,

Matt

Conjunctio
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Wargame type Wargames and RPG Empty Re: Wargame type Wargames and RPG

Post  swilbur Sun 20 Jan 2019, 23:26

I'd love to play Napoleon's Triumph or Bonaparte at Marengo sometime (or Guns of Gettysburg, which I believe uses the same system). They look like beautiful games, but the rulebooks are extremely dense and I suspect they would be easier to learn from someone who already knows how to play.

Also, I'd like to see your hex-based rules for DBM. I don't have an army myself (and I'm more familiar with Hordes of the Things than DBM) but I'm interested enough in the game that I'd like to try it.

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Evilevan Mon 21 Jan 2019, 19:13

Hi... I've recently been putting together stuff to play DBA (i think similar to DBM / hordes of things but on a smaller scale?) Ive got ancient britains vs romans in 6mm scale...

I have memoir 44... And would be interested in giving commands and colours a go (is it ancients you are playing?)

I'm also struggling to get out on a Tuesday night these days due to work... Occasional Friday evenings are good for me if organised in advance...
Evilevan
Evilevan
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

http://gibberingmadness-evan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Conjunctio Mon 21 Jan 2019, 22:03

swilbur wrote:I'd love to play Napoleon's Triumph or Bonaparte at Marengo sometime (or Guns of Gettysburg, which I believe uses the same system).  They look like beautiful games, but the rulebooks are extremely dense and I suspect they would be easier to learn from someone who already knows how to play.

Also, I'd like to see your hex-based rules for DBM.  I don't have an army myself (and I'm more familiar with Hordes of the Things than DBM) but I'm interested enough in the game that I'd like to try it.

Bonaparte at Marengo is a smaller and quicker game than Napoleon's Triumph and slightly easier to learn but getting one's head around the unusual mechanics is hard and like you say the rule book is small but dense. I've played it a handful of times and not for several years so I would be thinking it would be a mutual learning game to begin with. Would be good to dedicate a few sessions to it. I think the rules are available to download from the game designer Bowen Simmons website.

Essentially my hex based system is based on GMT's Command & Colors Ancients Game but I use double bases/stands and combat modifiers from DBMM. Measurement is replaced by hex movement. So playing C&C might be the best way to start. I've tried to customise armies to reflect troops for Tolkien Themed battles. Also unlike C&C each hex can support two units and that includes light troops such as auxilia being in support of infantry. When it comes to DBM the armies and rule system is designed for much bigger commands than HotT or DBA and plays on a 6x4 foot table (the Pelennor Fields is even bigger and needs a 8x6 board!). And takes longer to play through and set up. Here's a link to the Battle of Helm's Deep:

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/3115324/commands-colors-ancients

if you were available to try out a few games based on the above do you think it would be a Friday night or maybe a Saturday evening or maybe a Sunday at the Red Deer?

Conjunctio
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Conjunctio Mon 21 Jan 2019, 22:15

Evilevan wrote:Hi... I've recently been putting together stuff to play DBA (i think similar to DBM / hordes of things but on a smaller scale?) Ive got ancient britains vs romans in 6mm scale...

I have memoir 44... And would be interested in giving commands and colours a go (is it ancients you are playing?)

I'm also struggling to get out on a Tuesday night these days due to work... Occasional Friday evenings are good for me if organised in advance...

Hello.
DBA is a good starting point for DBM - a lot smaller commands and a smaller table required and quicker results!

C&C is a similar game system and it is ancients. I have the first base set which is primarily Rome v Carthage and several historical based scenarios come with the game.

If you were available to try out C&C do you think it would be a Friday night or maybe a Saturday evening or maybe a Sunday at the Red Deer? presumably it would be at one house or another if not at the Red Deer? If it were a Friday night I normally have to travel back from Pontefract to Wakefield after 5pm. That's an hour or so commute depending on rush hour...

Matt

Conjunctio
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Conjunctio Wed 30 Jan 2019, 20:34

...There's also the Treehouse Board game café to meet at... but at this stage maybe I should assume this thread discussion has gone as far as it can?

Conjunctio
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Sat 02 Feb 2019, 21:41

Well, if you bring any of them to a Sunday session I'm sure you'll find an opponent. (Me, for starters. I'm almost always there.)

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down