Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shall we try a game-night via Discord?

+3
BeardyTom
RikTheChief
AntW
7 posters

Go down

game - Shall we try a game-night via Discord? Empty Shall we try a game-night via Discord?

Post  BeardyTom Tue 22 Sep 2020, 10:18

Who would be up for trying to recreate the game night experience with Discord? I guess there'd be a general chat area then people can break off into individual tables for chatting and playing games on BoardGameArena. Some games, like Just One, could also be just done over video chat as well.

I seem to remember seeing a SBGC Discord server at one point, although I don't know who controls it. Even if there isn't one yet, I think it should be easy enough to set up, if people are interested.

If we had that on a Tuesday at 7pm, just like a regular night, would you come along, or not? Would you check it out once but probably not want to have a regular weekly session? Would any other day or time be better?
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

game - Shall we try a game-night via Discord? Empty Re: Shall we try a game-night via Discord?

Post  AntW Wed 23 Sep 2020, 09:02

I own it Smile I've made a few people able to moderate and create channels and such but otherwise its pretty barebones at the moment since its not used all that much. If anyone has any ideas for changes lemme know.

discord.gg/cXCJGKA

I'd be up for it, if I'm around. Its been a while.
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

game - Shall we try a game-night via Discord? Empty Re: Shall we try a game-night via Discord?

Post  RikTheChief Thu 24 Sep 2020, 00:06

BeardyTom wrote:Who would be up for trying to recreate the game night experience with Discord? I guess there'd be a general chat area then people can break off into individual tables for chatting and playing games on BoardGameArena. Some games, like Just One, could also be just done over video chat as well.

I seem to remember seeing a SBGC Discord server at one point, although I don't know who controls it. Even if there isn't one yet, I think it should be easy enough to set up, if people are interested.

If we had that on a Tuesday at 7pm, just like a regular night, would you come along, or not? Would you check it out once but probably not want to have a regular weekly session? Would any other day or time be better?

Yes I would be available to game.
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Thu 24 Sep 2020, 11:22

AntW wrote:I own it Smile I've made a few people able to moderate and create channels and such but otherwise its pretty barebones at the moment since its not used all that much. If anyone has any ideas for changes lemme know.

discord.gg/cXCJGKA

Great! Shall we try and get people together for next Tuesday as a trial run? If it works okay we could try having a regular meet-up.

Ant, would you be able to get a couple of new channels set up on the server before then? I'm thinking one called 'Game night lobby' with just text chat, plus maybe three or four channels called 'Table 1', 'Table 2', etc. with both text and voice/video. I've never tried to set anything up on Discord, myself, so I'm just kind of assuming that that's easy to do. If it's not then sorry.

I've no idea how many people might join in. I suppose it'd be better to have more tables available than needed rather than not have enough. It could turn out to be just you, me, and Rik, in which case we'll just be using the one table channel.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Jon M and RikTheChief like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon M Sat 26 Sep 2020, 11:08

BeardyTom wrote:
AntW wrote:I own it Smile I've made a few people able to moderate and create channels and such but otherwise its pretty barebones at the moment since its not used all that much. If anyone has any ideas for changes lemme know.

discord.gg/cXCJGKA

Great! Shall we try and get people together for next Tuesday as a trial run? If it works okay we could try having a regular meet-up.

Ant, would you be able to get a couple of new channels set up on the server before then? I'm thinking one called 'Game night lobby' with just text chat, plus maybe three or four channels called 'Table 1', 'Table 2', etc. with both text and voice/video. I've never tried to set anything up on Discord, myself, so I'm just kind of assuming that that's easy to do. If it's not then sorry.

I've no idea how many people might join in. I suppose it'd be better to have more tables available than needed rather than not have enough. It could turn out to be just you, me, and Rik, in which case we'll just be using the one table channel.

Im up for Tuesday ! id recommend making the lobby 'voice' as well as it helps organise the game before moving to a table to play !

Last edited by Jon M on Sat 26 Sep 2020, 11:10; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed video as just audio has been working fine with a group im playing with in merseyside)
Jon M
Jon M
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon M Sat 26 Sep 2020, 11:17

an #afk channel is also not a bad idea for folk who are around and looking for a game but have had to step away for a second ! Short/fun games also work well in the lobby waiting for people to turn up and move to a table for something bigger
Jon M
Jon M
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Sun 27 Sep 2020, 10:03

I’d be up for trying it too.
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Mon 28 Sep 2020, 09:56

I'll see some of you guys online tomorrow, then. Very Happy

I'm pretty easy about which games to play. I'd be happy with a bunch of fairly quick games (e.g. Can't Stop, 6 Nimmt, Just One) or one bigger game.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm Mon 28 Sep 2020, 15:42

I am up for it.
Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Margarida Mon 28 Sep 2020, 15:51

I think this is the only way forward for the time being, I'd like to join in as well if that's alright.
I have a Premium account on the website and I've played with family and friends over Skype/Discord before, it's not the same as playing in person but it's ok.
Margarida
Margarida
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Wed 30 Sep 2020, 15:20

That seemed to work okay. We had 8 people on two tables of four, with one table playing a long eurogame while the other played several lighter games. We got to chat a bit and catch up and fun was had. I had some slightly frustrating connection issues, but I think that was at my end rather than a problem on either Discord or BGA.

I'd certainly up for doing this again. How about anyone else?
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Wed 30 Sep 2020, 15:31

BeardyTom wrote:That seemed to work okay. We had 8 people on two tables of four, with one table playing a long eurogame while the other played several lighter games. We got to chat a bit and catch up and fun was had. I had some slightly frustrating connection issues, but I think that was at my end rather than a problem on either Discord or BGA.

Yes it was good I'd play again!
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm Wed 30 Sep 2020, 16:29

Yes happy to try and beat you all and my exceptional score at colt express again
Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Wed 30 Sep 2020, 17:04

RikTheChief wrote:
BeardyTom wrote:That seemed to work okay. We had 8 people on two tables of four, with one table playing a long eurogame while the other played several lighter games. We got to chat a bit and catch up and fun was had. I had some slightly frustrating connection issues, but I think that was at my end rather than a problem on either Discord or BGA.

Yes it was good I'd play again!

Could do with organising what games to play before the evening though. Jons idea of suggesting games then voting on the ones you want to play worked ok. That way we can jump right into a game, read rules before hand, etc.
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down