Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hero Realms

2 posters

Go down

Hero Realms Empty Hero Realms

Post  SamVS Fri 17 Jun 2016, 16:40

Hero Realms HeroRealmsSocial

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1172937197/hero-realms-a-deckbuilding-adventure-card-game?token=2b0038be
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Hero Realms Empty Re: Hero Realms

Post  SamVS Fri 17 Jun 2016, 16:41

Definitely backing this.

First Epic, then this — they really want the fantasy games, even though Star Realms worked so well for them. You'd think sci-fi is the more popular theme today, what with Star Wars and Star Trek back in cinemas. Did they think Warcraft was going bring back swords and sorcery? Laughing I suppose everyone is still trying to get some o'dat Heathstone dough.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sat 18 Jun 2016, 12:05

I'm not sure that I *need* another Realms game in my life. But there *is* a stretch goal that gives you all the Star Realms y2 promos in advance (if you back at the $72 level). Hmmm...
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Thu 30 Jun 2016, 12:00

Hey Sam, did you back this? I noticed they added the option to 'add on' the year 1 Star Realms promos with alternate art for $10. I'd love a set of these if you wouldn't mind adding to your pledge and I'll help you with the shipping cost?
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sun 10 Jul 2016, 20:22

Hmm, might not back this after all. The base game alone works out at close to £30 including shipping. Am I right in guessing when it is in shops it will retail for significantly less than that? And I feel like without some of the extras like the characters cards, boss packs, or the campaign box, I might as well just play Star Realms.

It does look very cool. They've really upped their game in terms of artwork and graphic design here, and in Epic too (did anyone play that much?).

I like that the cards discarded at the end of your turn are considered to be items or events, and the ones that stay out until they are knocked down are the champions, because in Star Realms why would the ships just come and go at random rather than stay in the battle? The idea of a champions coming onto the field just sounds cooler than a "base" or "outpost" card, too. I wonder if it would have worked to have only the champions trigger combos, because that gives the image of the champion themselves using that item or spell and it being more effective as a result (rather than items for some reason triggering the combo of another item).

The characters pack should be better balanced than gambits in Star Realms and certainly feel more thematic. The campaign also sounds cool... though I did watch a talk where Rob Daviau talked about his attempts to make a deckbuilding legacy game and concluded that it was a terrible idea and nobody should try it — and that's pretty much exactly what this is. The starter pack is only three games worth, though, and I think you would need much more than that to have a satisfying run.

Do you know what these alternate art cards look like, Paul? This thread which shows off some base set "alternate art" cards, and they don't look so cool:

http://realmchat.forumotion.com/t8-star-realms-promo-cards

More of an alternate coloring.

But if this is the Battle Barge in the below image maybe they are actually new artwork.

Hero Realms 0261275fa1b2ff6112bbde9f8e99f216_original
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Mon 11 Jul 2016, 08:32

Sam wrote:Hmm, might not back this after all. The base game alone works out at close to £30 including shipping. Am I right in guessing when it is in shops it will retail for significantly less than that? And I feel like without some of the extras like the characters cards, boss packs, or the campaign box, I might as well just play Star Realms.

Yeah, I would hope so! It does seem to me very expensive for a card game, particularly given how cheap the retail of Star Realms is.

For me, I'm less excited about this theme (not sure why) so even the nice artwork doesn't particularly persuade me to part with that much money for it when I already have a game with somewhat similar mechanics. Might have a look when it comes to retail though.

Sam wrote:Do you know what these alternate art cards look like, Paul? This thread which shows off some base set "alternate art" cards, and they don't look so cool:

http://realmchat.forumotion.com/t8-star-realms-promo-cards

More of an alternate coloring.

But if this is the Battle Barge in the below image maybe they are actually new artwork.

Hero Realms 0261275fa1b2ff6112bbde9f8e99f216_original
Yeah, I'm not sure to be honest. It's just hard to get most of the promo cards, regardless of the art, which is why I'm tempted. As I understand it, they promised that the promos released with the original Kickstarter wouldn't be released again in the same form so essentially any re-release of them has to have 'alternate art' even if it's as simple as flipping the image and slightly recolouring it!

A friend of mine in London is interested in the Star Realms Y1 promos so I've backed at the $1 level with 2x $10 add-ons and will split the shipping with him. If anyone else wants in on that then just yell (but quickly because it ends in the next day or so).
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down