Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Board Gamer

+5
PaulC
systemsam
Admin
DaveB
Wouter
9 posters

Go down

New Board Gamer Empty New Board Gamer

Post  angel_t Mon 04 Jul 2016, 16:09

Hi All,

I have just got into the whole board game scene past two years, I have been mainly playing games with my husband and also my family (if they are willing!).
It started off with Risk and and grew from there..Mainly play two player games like Five tribes, Carcasonne, Machi Koro, Ticket to ride, Alhabra, not big into full on strategy games although when we have time we do indulge in twilight struggle. I think I may have a bit of a game addiction going on... with the games I have bought this year....

I have been following posts on Facebook but not yet taken the brave plunge to go to an event. Shocked

What time do you normally end a games night at the Uni arms?
Do you have to sign up to games you want to play for the evening. Do you have to be there from the start of the evening at 6:30?

Sorry about all these questions trying to be brave and possibly go tomorrow evening..

Angel
angel_t
angel_t
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

New Board Gamer Empty Welcome!

Post  Wouter Mon 04 Jul 2016, 16:42

Hello Angel!

Welcome to the club. I'm quite new as well myself, so I know it can seem a bit unfamiliar and new, but believe me: it is a lot of fun, and people are quite open to newcomers ^^

Let me try and answer some of your questions.
The evenings generally end around elevenish, although most people are already gone by then. There is no real official end, just the moment when the last group is done playing their game and not enough people are up for any more basically.
Signing up for games upfront is totally optional. If you have anything specific in mind you want to play, you can check if someone has the game and ask them in the personal library section (at least that's what I've been doing), but there are always plenty of games brough by people.
I guess it is advisable to be there at start time (6:30 or 7 I believe), because that is when everyone wants to start playing. I was a bit later last time I went, and that meant I was the only person not playing anything so I had to just hang around for a while until a group was finished.

Hope that helps, and hope to see you on tuesday Smile
Wouter
Wouter
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

New Board Gamer Empty Re: New Board Gamer

Post  DaveB Mon 04 Jul 2016, 17:24

angel_t wrote:Hi All,

I have just got into the whole board game scene past two years,  I have been mainly playing games with my husband and also my family (if they are willing!).
It started off with Risk and and grew from there..Mainly play two player games like Five tribes, Carcasonne, Machi Koro, Ticket to ride, Alhabra, not big into full on strategy games although when we have time we do indulge in twilight struggle. I think I may have a bit of a game addiction going on... with the games I have bought this year....

I have been following posts on Facebook but not yet taken the brave plunge to go to an event. Shocked

What time do you normally end a games night at the Uni arms?
Do you have to sign up to games you want to play for the evening. Do you have to be there from the start of the evening at 6:30?

Sorry about all these questions trying to be brave and possibly go tomorrow evening..

Angel

Hi Angel, welcome to the club Smile

You'll find a wide variety of players here - we've got players of all tastes that come along - some as you've seen arrange games here but there are also more than a few games arranged on the night as well.

The session starts at 1900, and typically games run til around midnight (but there is no obligation to stay that late - for example I typically leave around 2230-2300 as it's a bit of a hike home...)

You don't *have* to be there for 1900 but there is always the risk of showing up later and finding no-one is free to play a game... but usually there will be someone available before too long.

Hope to see you tomorrow!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 04 Jul 2016, 17:25

Hi Angel - yep pretty much as the post above covers. We ask users of the forum to use their real names to help on the introduction side (yes Aneurin is my real name - it's Welsh - I'm not). Also we advise people use their actual picture in their avatar. It's helps when you are trying to find a particular person.

There is usually a high turn around of games. So even if you don't get into one when you arrive - keep walking around and talking to people. You will find a game pretty quickly.

We also have some club games available so you can always just pick one of those up and start playing.

Hope that helps. If you need a game this week happy to show you Guilds of Lomdon. We have 1 spot left.

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Mon 04 Jul 2016, 19:02

Welcome. If you play 5 tribes and don't think that is too full on, then there isn't much you'd want to avoid on a Tuesday. Have you played with the expansion yet?
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

New Board Gamer Empty New Board Gamer

Post  angel_t Tue 05 Jul 2016, 09:58

Hi All

Thanks for the welcome messages and answering my questions, I will hopefully be able to get there for around 8ish and may drag the hubby along Smile Sounds like a good excuse to play some games.

Thanks for the offer on Guilds, I think I will pass on this one this week as i'm not sure of the rules so don't want to slow you down.

Where is the best place to park nearby?

See you guys tonight

Angel
angel_t
angel_t
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 05 Jul 2016, 09:59

angel_t wrote:Where is the best place to park nearby?

I generally park in the Arts Tower car park across the road from the Uni Arms
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  angel_t Tue 05 Jul 2016, 10:09

thanks do you need a permit or anything like that?

angel_t
angel_t
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 05 Jul 2016, 10:12

angel_t wrote:thanks do you need a permit or anything like that?

Officially I think you're meant to, but according to Aneurin (who checked with them back when we moved to the Uni Arms) after 1830 is fine. Certainly I've never had a problem parking there without one.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  angel_t Tue 05 Jul 2016, 10:25

thanks Smile
angel_t
angel_t
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Tue 05 Jul 2016, 11:46

angel_t wrote:I think I may have a bit of a game addiction going on... with the games I have bought this year....
You've come to the right (wrong?) place!

Free tip - whenever I feel I may have a game addiction, I take a look at PaulG's collection, then I don't feel so bad!
Very Happy
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 05 Jul 2016, 15:25

DaveB wrote:
angel_t wrote:thanks do you need a permit or anything like that?

Officially I think you're meant to, but according to Aneurin (who checked with them back when we moved to the Uni Arms) after 1830 is fine. Certainly I've never had a problem parking there without one.

Dave is right - in short - if the barrier at the car park is up - its free... the University doesn't pay any attendants after 5pm Wink

And don't mention kickstarter to Paul C...

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Tue 05 Jul 2016, 17:53

Word of warning on parking at the uni, I have it from a good source that they're planning to have wardens work evenings and weekends. Aneurin is the man on this though, he loves talking about uni car parking.

Might be worth an announcement if/when that happens.

Hello and welcome, by the way
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Meurig Wed 06 Jul 2016, 23:17

The University website states clearly that parking at Tower Court is free after 17:00.
Meurig
Meurig
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  angel_t Thu 07 Jul 2016, 11:26

Hi All,

Thanks for making us feel very welcome on Tuesday we enjoyed the evening very much, it was great to be with lots of other friendly gamers and to be introduced to some new games that we have never played.

Very Happy
angel_t
angel_t
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Thu 07 Jul 2016, 11:34

Glad to hear you had a good time Very Happy . It was lovely to meet you and if there's anything in particular you want to play just ask away, someone will have it.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down