Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Playing Board Games Online (Board Game Arena, Boiteajeux etc.)

+3
BeardyTom
RikTheChief
SamVS
7 posters

Go down

Playing Board Games Online (Board Game Arena, Boiteajeux etc.) Empty Playing Board Games Online (Board Game Arena, Boiteajeux etc.)

Post  SamVS Thu 17 Aug 2017, 12:49

Couldn't find a thread on this already, though I'm sure it's been mentioned.

Was never really that interested in playing online, I guess because I was thinking of being stuck in some big two hour game on my own in front of a computer, which didn't really appeal to me. But I was feeling idle today so had a look around Board Game Arena, sorted the games by duration, and got into a game of Saboteur, which only takes half an hour. It's the most fun I've had playing that game.

Anyone else played on these sites? Definitely worth trying if you're pining to play something.

Also thought it would be useful to have a thread for usernames or for arranging online games.

Usernames

Board Game Arena

- Sam250 (SamVS)
- rikthechief (RikTheChief)
- nordloc (BeardyTom)
- paulyg (paulyg)
- Blinky82 (Ste)
- psychomansam (psychomansam)

jinteki.net (Android: Netrunner)

- paulyg (paulyg)
- yogdaws (Samuel_C)

Boiteajeux

Yucata

Last edited by SamVS on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 01:37; edited 8 times in total
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Playing Board Games Online (Board Game Arena, Boiteajeux etc.) Empty Re: Playing Board Games Online (Board Game Arena, Boiteajeux etc.)

Post  RikTheChief Thu 17 Aug 2017, 12:58

I'm rikthechief on Board Game Arena.
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Playing Board Games Online (Board Game Arena, Boiteajeux etc.) Empty Re: Playing Board Games Online (Board Game Arena, Boiteajeux etc.)

Post  BeardyTom Thu 17 Aug 2017, 13:45

I've got into playing on BoardGameArena recently, too. I'm 'nordloc'.

It doesn't give all the social interaction parts of boardgaming, really. There is a chat box but I've only seen a couple of games where anyone writes more than 'hi' at the start and 'gg' (='good game') at the end. However it does give the chance to play really good games any time you want and playing against real people, even if you can't see them, is so much better than against an AI for some reason.

It's given me the chance to play some games I've been meaning to check out but hadn't had a chance, like Libertalia, Troyes and Russian Railroads. I've found it particularly handy for learning Race for the Galaxy as you can just hover over a card and it tells you in words what it does so you don't have to worry about interpreting all the hieroglyphics.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Thu 17 Aug 2017, 13:55

I'm paulyg on BoardGameArena (though don't think I've ever played anything on there) and also on jinteki.net (online Netrunner implementation).
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Thu 17 Aug 2017, 16:46

I didn't know any of these existed.

I've created an account on BGA.
Blinky82
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Thu 17 Aug 2017, 22:11

I'm yogdaws on jinteki.net
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Fri 18 Aug 2017, 00:36

I've played 371 games on BGA apparently.

You can live play RaceftGalaxy in 5-10 mins. Conversely, I've enjoyed staring at a screen of Tzolkin for 20 mins just planning a move in a turn-based game taking days or weeks. I'm always playing something on there, but it'd be good to play some people I know.

Like Tom, I've also used it to learn some games, which is nice and one way to avoid a rulebook when you've got rule fatigue.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Fri 25 Aug 2017, 13:59

BeardyTom wrote:It doesn't give all the social interaction parts of boardgaming, really. There is a chat box but I've only seen a couple of games where anyone writes more than 'hi' at the start and 'gg' (='good game') at the end.

We can use Discord or some other similar service for voice chat.
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Wed 13 Dec 2017, 14:22

You can actually voice / video chat on Bga, but i've never used it to live-play a friend, so never have done.

If anyone ever wants a game of race online...
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down