Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious

2 posters

Go down

Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious Empty Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious

Post  James Wargamer Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:06

Hello!

I briefly chatted to a couple of people at the club last night about playing some wargames. I was the one playing Sekigahara.

I thought this thread might be a useful place to 'make contact' and arrange a game or two.

Of course, new wargamers and the wargame-curious are one hundred million percent welcome to get involved too. The more the merrier.

Say hello and let us know you're here!

James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious Empty Re: Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious

Post  James Wargamer Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:11

Here is a list of my currently owned games:
https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/moujamou?own=1&subtype=boardgame&gallery=large&ff=1

The list changes regularly as I get rid of games to fund new ones. Let me know if you want to play anything.
James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious Empty Another Wargamer

Post  JohnQ Wed 14 Sep 2016, 14:10

Hi James,

I spoke to you when you were playing Sekigahara - love the game, a friend of mine has it and it's superb.

As I mentioned I've got a fair few games, not as organised as you to have a BGG list, but mine include (in no particular order)

Most of the Combat Commander set, most of C&C (Ancients & Napoleonics), Prussia's Glory I & II, Operation Dauntless, most of the COIN series (except Andean Abyss) a lot of the old VG Fleet series, all of the GMT Next War series, both the GMT FAB games (Golan & Sicily), Talon, Burning Blue, lots of the VG ACW theatre level games & some older classics e.g. Wooden Ships, Siege of Jerusalem, Hell's Highway - and a fair few more.

I forgot I've also got a couple of CDG's I really like - Unhappy King Charles & Thirty Years War.

Happy to give any/all a run out - currently playing through the Op Dauntless tutorials with my regular (sheffield-based) opponent.

Regards,

John

--- and I'm not disciplined enough to get rid of stuff, I just collect more Smile

JohnQ
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious Empty Re: Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious

Post  James Wargamer Sun 18 Sep 2016, 14:30

Super collection John. I'm keen on playing Unhappy King Charles - I really regret selling my copy. I'd try 30 Years War too, I've thought about picking it up myself.

Of my stuff I'd like to get Sekigahara, Wilderness War and Napoleon's Triumph out as often as possible and I'm keen to play The Russian Campaign some time soon.
James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnQ Sun 18 Sep 2016, 14:37

Any of those would be good, but I doubt we'd get any of them played on a Tuesday night. (I also have Washington's War which I've played a couple of times and would love to rerun).

Would you fancy a quick game on a Tuesday? Like I said one of the early Combat Commander scenarios - or if prefer sci-fi we could have a crack at GMT's Talon as that's pretty rapid as well, or maybe something from the Command & Colors stable?

I've usually got GMT's Thunder Alley with me as that seems to work pretty well, not a war-game tho, obviously.

Apart from that I reckon we're talking a longer gaming session at a mutually agreeable venue.

Regards,

John

JohnQ
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  James Wargamer Sun 18 Sep 2016, 15:01

I'll not be able to this Tuesday but certainly a near future Tuesday. Seki and Wilderness War are both do-able on school night. There is always the club Sunday session too..
James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnQ Sun 18 Sep 2016, 15:03

Ok, we can arrange something for when you're next able to come along. I start a new job in Leeds next week so I may be arriving a bit later cos of the commute.

JohnQ
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  James Wargamer Mon 19 Sep 2016, 14:59

Okey dokey. I will be there tomorrow, but I have a Seki rematch planned.

I might try to organise some sort of wargame meetup (or get someone else to organise it) because I've got a couple of other people/friends/opponents that I try to arrange games with too and I think there are one or vaguely interested heads at the club. It might be good if everyone met everyone. The more opponents the better. Anyway, that's just a vague idea.
James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnQ Fri 23 Sep 2016, 18:27

Sounds good, I'm working in Leeds at the moment so getting to stuff on week nights is getting rather tricky - happy to meet up at other times. If you do organise I'll mention it to the guy I normally play against and see if he's interested if that's ok.

John

JohnQ
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Wargames, wargamers & the wargame-curious Empty No more trips to Leeds

Post  JohnQ Sat 05 Nov 2016, 08:50

My job in Leeds has come to an end so I'll be around more on Tuesdays - and in fact all the time until I find another job. So if anyone fancies a game let me know.

I just acquired Grand Prix & Labyrinth btw.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/62227/labyrinth-war-terror-2001

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163163/grand-prix

I'll probably bring Grand Prix along when I come down to the club as it can be played by a wide number from 2-11.

TTFN

JohnQ
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down