Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Game Storage Solutions

5 posters

Go down

Game Storage Solutions Empty Game Storage Solutions

Post  Ste Tue 17 Jan 2017, 16:24

Hey guys,

I'm moving house soon and I've had permission from the wife to occupy one of the rooms and turn it into a games room. I was interested in how you guys currently store your games. In particular those of you with relatively large collections (Paulyg et al). I'm assuming lots of shelves but I'd be interested in seeing some photos showing off your storage solutions.

The room I'm getting is a simple square room measuring a modest 8ft x 8ft and I was thinking of lining one of the walls with shelves initially or perhaps some shelving units from Ikea or similar. My collection isn't that big right now, currently all my stuff gets crammed into a small cupboard unit, but with the extra space I'm planning on expanding it a bit more. I could always use the empty shelves to display X-Wing ships etc. Very Happy

I'm not sure about playing space yet. I should be able to squeeze a small table in there but it may be easier to just play the games on the kitchen table rather than set something up in the games room which will probably be cramped with 4 or more people stuffed in there. I'd then just add a desk for my computer in the game room instead.

Let me know what you think, this is literally a blank canvass and I'm open to all ideas within reason. I've not set a budget as such but willing to chuck a few quid at it.
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Game Storage Solutions Empty Re: Game Storage Solutions

Post  Admin Tue 17 Jan 2017, 16:28

I'm opting for full on industrial style garage shelving for our new house. The plan is to store the collection there in the first instance. I'm a little worried about temperature - so the final aim (once we move in) is a loft conversion with custom made selves ...

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Tue 17 Jan 2017, 16:35

Aneurin wrote:I'm opting for full on industrial style garage shelving for our new house. The plan is to store the collection there in the first instance. I'm a little worried about temperature - so the final aim (once we move in) is a loft conversion with custom made selves ...

The room I'm getting was formerly part of the garage but it's now heated and from what I can tell insulated so I should be ok in that regards. Oddly, they kept the original garage door insitu and blocked up behind it so there are no windows in there. I will eventually want to remove the door and put a window in but that's a job for the future. I won't have the money to do that for some time and it will no doubt be a messy job.

A loft conversion sounds great for a games room. Only bettered I think by a cool basement conversion with a secret door or something like that!
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Tue 17 Jan 2017, 17:11

Where you moving to? The IKEA kallax shelves are a great size for games.
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 17 Jan 2017, 18:05

Kes wrote:Where you moving to? The IKEA kallax shelves are a great size for games.

This - they're almost the perfect size to fit four standard game boxes per each cubby, and they're pretty well put together.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Tue 17 Jan 2017, 19:54

Cool, I'll take a look at them. Thanks.

I'm moving to Gateford in Worksop. A bit further out but still realistic to get to the odd Sunday session if I get chance.
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Wed 18 Jan 2017, 09:04

Ste wrote:Cool, I'll take a look at them. Thanks.

I'm moving to Gateford in Worksop. A bit further out but still realistic to get to the odd Sunday session if I get chance.

Just be aware that immediately after buying enough shelving to fit your games you'll realise that you don't have enough shelving to fit your games! Smile

Oh, and Gateford counts as South of Sheffield... Welcome to the Southside Massive!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Wed 18 Jan 2017, 09:07

Aneurin wrote:I'm opting for full on industrial style garage shelving for our new house. The plan is to store the collection there in the first instance. I'm a little worried about temperature - so the final aim (once we move in) is a loft conversion with custom made selves ...

Games stored in the garage worries me, particularly this time of year.
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 18 Jan 2017, 09:18

PaulC wrote:

I'd be less worried about temperature and more about ambient moisture, I definitely wouldn't want to risk storing games in a "normal" garage
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Wed 18 Jan 2017, 09:20

DaveB wrote:
PaulC wrote:

I'd be less worried about temperature and more about ambient moisture, I definitely wouldn't want to risk storing games in a "normal" garage

That is also my concern.

If you need temporary storage, Aneurin, I can help.
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 18 Jan 2017, 09:34

PaulC wrote:
DaveB wrote:
PaulC wrote:

That is also my concern.

If you need temporary storage, Aneurin, I can help.

That's what those little silicon packs are for Wink...
It's an internal garage so it shouldn't be too bad...

Craig used to keep his in a similar garage and I think they were fine...

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 18 Jan 2017, 09:53

PaulC wrote:If you need temporary storage, Aneurin, I can help.

As can I Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down