Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Membership fees

5 posters

Go down

Membership fees Empty Membership fees

Post  karl_b Wed 13 Jan 2016, 09:02

New year, new nagging from me/Aneurin to pay your annual subs! It occurred to me that we have a lot of new members and we may not have had the chance to explain why we ask for a small membership fee to the club. Some of this is covered in the Member's Area 'Club Kitty' section where you can also find a list of members for this and previous years.

We're very lucky to have an excellent venue that doesn't charge us for use of of their space, therefore we don't feel the need for a weekly charge like many other clubs (not just board gamers).

A few years ago, when we had less than a dozen regular members (6 was a good turn out and I joined during the good times!) there was a £1 weekly fee. This was used to buy games for the club, hence why we have a club library. Anyway, this is no longer necessary given how much the club has grown and the range of games that we own between us - Pauly G and Aneurin could provide enough games on their own to keep us all going for years!!

We took the decision to scrap weekly fees and instead ask for £2 a year. Subs are due for each calendar year, not 12 months from when you first paid. Your first visit to the club is free, we'll wait until your second visit before pestering!

This money goes towards keeping the forum add free, for members, and pays for the url.

We've also used the money to buy the wooden boards that we play on. We realise that some of these look a bit scruffy and we have plans to upgrade/replace some soon.

We have an arrangement with Patriot Games (our FLGS) for members to receive a 10% discount, details will be passed on once you've paid your £2.

Finally, any money left over goes in to the kitty for the Christmas party to pay for competition prizes. So think of your £2 as your annual entry fee!

It's not a lot of money but it helps keep the club going, so thanks.

Last edited by karl_b on Tue 12 Apr 2016, 21:22; edited 1 time in total
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Membership fees Empty membership

Post  bigpaulie Fri 05 Feb 2016, 21:06

Hi is the club open to anyone who wants to turn up?

Thanks
Paul
bigpaulie
bigpaulie
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Membership fees Empty Re: Membership fees

Post  karl_b Fri 05 Feb 2016, 21:09

Hi Paul. Yes, we're very much a public group and open to all. Be great to see you on a Tuesday!
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  bigpaulie Fri 05 Feb 2016, 21:12

Great thanks - from next week I am working in Sheffield 3 days a week so may well drop by! I am a more mature gamer (40) at least in years if not mentally!!
bigpaulie
bigpaulie
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Fri 05 Feb 2016, 21:33

Great, you'll fit in well.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Sat 06 Jan 2018, 11:54

Hello all. This is a timely bump as a reminder that I will start rattling the tin for your annual £2 subs please! Also, for new members, hopefully this explains a little bit more about why we ask for the £2 contribution.

Also, keen to hear any ideas on what we could spend the kitty on - would people like to invest it in more games for the club library? We have recently purchased a copy of Pandemic and we like to review this once a year, ahead of the UKGE, to see whether we need to look at buying/selling any games to keep the library fresh and to ensure it has a good range of games with a wide appeal, particularly for new members and people new to the hobby.

I've updated the kitty in the member's section as my annual piece of housekeeping, we have carried £85 over from 2017 thanks to the extra people that turned up on the day of the Christmas Party! No website fees due this year, so assuming we get 60+ members again this year we should have circa £200 to spend (minus the Pandemic money).
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:30

We need to assess the table tops - are they in need of minor repair. Do we need extras? What are numbers like on a Tuesday at the moment? I'll be down next week to check up Wink

We also talked about getting some tops for the Red Deer Sunday events. Lizzy I believe was going to talk to them regarding storage.

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:41

They could only store the smaller ones, but doesn't seem worth bothering with those as they wouldn't give us more space
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Tue 23 Jan 2018, 14:43

Worth noting that the Red Deer do have 1 or 2 folding tables (same as the ones used at paulygcon) in their storage room which they were ok with us using last time I was there and we ran out of tables!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Fri 26 Jan 2018, 15:43

Aneurin wrote:We need to assess the table tops - are they in need of minor repair. Do we need extras? What are numbers like on a Tuesday at the moment? I'll be down next week to check up Wink

I think the gaffer tape approach isn't great, we may want to consider a better adhesive to the underside of the boards. Have we still got some felt left to do the other boards? If not, lets take stock and get them done.

I think we're just about filling the room at the moment, not quite bursting at the seams.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down