Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My perfect board game, based on a video game...

+3
Scott_Fryer
paulyg
Jamie
7 posters

Go down

My perfect board game, based on a video game... Empty My perfect board game, based on a video game...

Post  Jamie Mon 04 Jan 2016, 18:49

...would be Sid Meier's Colonization (the 1994 version). It would need a LOT of simplification, as there are just too many settlements and units of various kinds that you need to micro-manage, with the video game version. It would be super-awesome though, as a board game. Everyone plays a European super-power, setting sail for and exploring the new world, building settlements, harvesting resources, interacting with the native American indians, trading goods with Europe, and going to war with the other players!

So, that's my fantasy non-existing game based on a video game; what's yours?
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

My perfect board game, based on a video game... Empty Re: My perfect board game, based on a video game...

Post  paulyg Mon 04 Jan 2016, 19:59

Jamie wrote:...would be Sid Meier's Colonization (the 1994 version). It would need a LOT of simplification, as there are just too many settlements and units of various kinds that you need to micro-manage, with the video game version. It would be super-awesome though, as a board game. Everyone plays a European super-power, setting sail for and exploring the new world, building settlements, harvesting resources, interacting with the native American indians, trading goods with Europe, and going to war with the other players!

So, that's my fantasy non-existing game based on a video game; what's yours?
Oh my goodness, this! I played so much Colonization in my teenage years I even had the t-shirt. Would be a great board game.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

My perfect board game, based on a video game... Empty Re: My perfect board game, based on a video game...

Post  Scott_Fryer Mon 04 Jan 2016, 20:35

Colonisation was great, I played much more of the original civilisation though, I know theres a board game of that, would love a game of it sometime, see how it compares.

I'd also like to see boardgames based on the Fallout series, loved the original RPG games, and Fallout 3 was truly brilliant, think it would probably work best as some kind of RPG type thing. Also I think a game based on Theme Hospital would work a treat.

Scott_Fryer
Scott_Fryer
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Mon 04 Jan 2016, 20:55

Scott, I've thought exactly the same about Theme Hospital, I absolutely love that game (still have my copy) and thinking it would translate well into cardboard.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy S Tue 05 Jan 2016, 06:25

I don't think it'd be easy to design, but I see a lot of potential in a game based on Double Fine's Costume Quest. It would be co-op and focus on marrying the trick-or-treating and exploration with the combat. As in the game, players would swap costumes as necessary to give them various abilities in and out of combat. There would be cute and colorful plastic candy counters and cardboard stamps.
Andy S
Andy S
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:33

While I appreciated what they tried to do with X-Com as a boardgame it didn't really work (for me at least) but you could still do a very solid "Imperial Assault"-type game around the property I think.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:38

karl_b wrote:Scott, I've thought exactly the same about Theme Hospital, I absolutely love that game (still have my copy) and thinking it would translate well into cardboard.

They tried and failed with a few hospital based board games. Quarantine springs to mind. Its a great concept but seems to fail.

Mine would have to be Hitman (Agent 47). I love that game series - no idea how it would translate - but something to do with hidden roles...

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:41

PaulG wrote:Oh my goodness, this! I played so much Colonization in my teenage years I even had the t-shirt. Would be a great board game.

Me too; hands down my favourite strategy video game. So many hours spent playing that game; it's just so good. I've played a lot of the other Civ games too; but for my money, Colonization beats them all!
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Tue 05 Jan 2016, 11:44

DaveB wrote:While I appreciated what they tried to do with X-Com as a boardgame it didn't really work (for me at least) but you could still do a very solid "Imperial Assault"-type game around the property I think.
I've not played it, but I agree that it doesn't quite look like what I'd want. A tactics miniatures game like Imperial Assault but with all the squad building of X-Com would be excellent.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 05 Jan 2016, 12:56

PaulG wrote:
DaveB wrote:While I appreciated what they tried to do with X-Com as a boardgame it didn't really work (for me at least) but you could still do a very solid "Imperial Assault"-type game around the property I think.
I've not played it, but I agree that it doesn't quite look like what I'd want. A tactics miniatures game like Imperial Assault but with all the squad building of X-Com would be excellent.

I really like that they tried to take the non-obvious path, and tried to do something different with it, but the finished product just didn't work for me at all, which was very disappointing.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down