Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Movie Thread

+14
Jon M
systemsam
Arun Cheesus
theatrekat
Jamie
paulyg
BeardyTom
PaulC
karl_b
Lizzy
Admin
DaveB
Kes
SamVS
18 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

The Movie Thread - Page 6 Empty Re: The Movie Thread

Post  DaveB Mon 04 Jan 2016, 08:14

Aneurin wrote:Right so Wednesday 13th... How are we doing tickets?

I can sort the booking I just need to know exactly who is coming and if there are any special instructions for each individual (ie am I booking against their unlimited card, in which case I'll need the number), is there a voucher code or something in play (I have no idea how the meerkat thing works but I recall you needed one for Orange wednesdays) in which case I'll need that etc etc etc.

Post here but PM me the voucher/card codes to use.

Its Monday morning as I type this - I'll do the booking on Wednesday evening (the 6th)

Hope the parking is less crazy than it has been recently...

DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 04 Jan 2016, 08:50

I'm in - post 8pm showing right?
No special instructions... unless someone has a 241 offer and wants to go halves?

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 04 Jan 2016, 08:52

Aneurin wrote:I'm in - post 8pm showing right?
No special instructions... unless someone has a 241 offer and wants to go halves?

Showtimes not up yet, but that would certainly be my preference
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Mon 04 Jan 2016, 09:38

I don't think you can use the code that far ahead
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 04 Jan 2016, 09:57

Kes wrote:I don't think you can use the code that far ahead

Looks like the codes are provided weekly but not sure when. Also not clear if you can use them to advance-book a showing or not. Anyone that actually gets these codes able to weigh in?
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Mon 04 Jan 2016, 23:57

Just to test I requested by code today and got it, so you can get the codes by at least Monday and maybe as early as the previous Thursday. I'll try and get next weeks code later in the week and let you know, but I think booking two days in advance on Monday will be plenty to get good seats. I've never used the code before the Tuesday but I don't see any reason that you wouldn't be able to. I don't know how everyone else wants to use their code but I'm happy for anyone who would otherwise be left paying full price to share the discount, if that's not too much bother to work out afterwards. Or I'll just let Dave arbitrate who deserves it Laughing If we have three Meerkats and three Unlimited cards there's only one ticket to pay for at all! I'll PM my card number and Meerkat code once I have the latter.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 05 Jan 2016, 14:20

Thanks for the info Sam

In that case I'll book it all Monday evening - please make sure if you want to go that you make a post here and let me know any relevant details (card numbers/voucher codes)

Cheers Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Tue 05 Jan 2016, 15:15

Just got this email from Cineworld:

"We also wanted to take this opportunity to reassure you that we make every effort to show a wide variety of movie, from the latest blockbusters, Bollywood and event cinema. However, on this occasion we have been unable to reach an agreement with the film’s distributor to show The Hateful Eight at your local Cineworld."

The fuck?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 05 Jan 2016, 15:17

Sam wrote:Just got this email from Cineworld:

"We also wanted to take this opportunity to reassure you that we make every effort to show a wide variety of movie, from the latest blockbusters, Bollywood and event cinema. However, on this occasion we have been unable to reach an agreement with the film’s distributor to show The Hateful Eight at your local Cineworld."

The fuck?

Just been reading about it - Curzon, Pictureworld and Cineworld are all taking a pass on it. Not much in the way of details tho yet.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Tue 05 Jan 2016, 15:19

The fuck?
I wonder if it's something to do with it being in 70mm and some of the projection problems being reported? I'm really speculating here, but could be that Cineworld wanted to show it in digital to avoid the hassle of hiring a 70mm projector (don't know if they have one but assuming it's all digital there?) and the distributor insisted on it being in 70mm.

That's my conspiracy theory, anyway :-)
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 05 Jan 2016, 15:22

PaulG wrote:

The fuck?
I wonder if it's something to do with it being in 70mm and some of the projection problems being reported? I'm really speculating here, but could be that Cineworld wanted to show it in digital to avoid the hassle of hiring a 70mm projector (don't know if they have one but assuming it's all digital there?) and the distributor insisted on it being in 70mm.

That's my conspiracy theory, anyway :-)

"Cineworld had made us aware that they were very unhappy that The Hateful Eight had been booked into the Odeon Leicester Square for an exclusive 70mm Ultra Panavision presentation, and specifically that they would therefore not be able to play the film at their Picturehouse Central venue."

"Due to the special facilities required for the unique 70mm Ultra Panavision presentation we needed the largest theatre and screen possible in the West End and the Odeon Leicester Square was the natural choice. The technical elements and costs involved with this special presentation meant that this would need to be the exclusive West End venue. The Odeon Leicester Square seats 1680 and Picturehouse Central only seats 344 so clearly this was not a viable alternative."

"Cineworld had every opportunity to book the film in their other cinemas across the country on the same basis as other exhibitors and declined to do so. This is despite the fact that there is no dispute over the financial terms for this release."

From what I can tell from the above Cineworld have their knickers in a knot over a special supershiny show in London going to a screen that isn't them? If I had to guess they made an ultimatum and got called on it...
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Tue 05 Jan 2016, 15:25

DaveB wrote:From what I can tell from the above Cineworld have their knickers in a knot over a special supershiny show in London going to a screen that isn't them? If I had to guess they made an ultimatum and got called on it...
Ah, interesting!

Well, it's still on in the Showroom... and they do really nice ice cream there :-)
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 05 Jan 2016, 16:30

VUE at meadowhall?

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 05 Jan 2016, 16:31

Aneurin wrote:VUE at meadowhall?

Personally I'd rather the Showroom, but the parking is *way* easier out at Hell... I guess it's six and 2 three's for me.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 05 Jan 2016, 16:34

DaveB wrote:
Aneurin wrote:VUE at meadowhall?

Personally I'd rather the Showroom, but the parking is *way* easier out at Hell... I guess it's six and 2 three's for me.

And getting home is just a short burst up the M1...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:22

Same goes for this cinema trip I'm afraid Dave... (see Tuesday 12th post) - but we were postponing anyway right so Sannah could join us?

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Thu 07 Jan 2016, 11:26

Aneurin wrote:Same goes for this cinema trip I'm afraid Dave... (see Tuesday 12th post) - but we were postponing anyway right so Sannah could join us?

I'm in a similar boat and can't make commitments right now, will revist in a week or two once things restabilize
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sat 09 Jan 2016, 15:47

Just booked for the Unlimited screening of Room. Anyone else going? I'm in the smaller of the two available screens. Would have booked for The Revenant also but no good seats left.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Tue 01 Mar 2016, 23:58

Pretty good start to the year. Room, Joy and The Big Short were heavy hitting in different ways. Deadpool was a surprising and unorthodox success. The Revenant was long and pretentious but had amazing outdoor cinematography and a few hand-rest-clenching moments.  Grimsby was too gross for my tastes but had a few clever jokes and always fun to see caricatures of British culture.

PS: It sucked that The Hateful Eight trip didn't work out. Club trip to Batman vs. Superman?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Wed 02 Mar 2016, 00:26

I really Enjoyed the Big short and also Spotlight which I went to recently. Aquired an unlimited card in January so trying to make use of it when I can. Nothing particularly exciting fora few weeks tho unfortunately as Oscar season has just left us.
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Fri 18 Mar 2016, 23:59

I'm interested to hear what people think of 10 Cloverfield Lane. I mostly loved it, but I expect it might be divisive.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat 19 Mar 2016, 07:05

Sam wrote:I'm interested to hear what people think of 10 Cloverfield Lane. I mostly loved it, but I expect it might be divisive.

No chance of me seeing that - I only get to see master pieces like Kungfu panda 3 and next Zootropolis.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Sat 19 Mar 2016, 09:43

Sam wrote:I'm interested to hear what people think of 10 Cloverfield Lane. I mostly loved it, but I expect it might be divisive.
I'm going to make an effort to see it and a few movies in this next 2 weeks as it's Easter hols. I really enjoyed Cloverfield so we shall see.
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Tue 09 Aug 2016, 12:35

The Nice Guys was the last quite good movie I saw, and that was in June. I liked the superhero stuff in May, and Hardcore Henry was really fun, but other than that all the good stuff came out at the start of the year. Central Intelligence and Ghostbusters were (surprisingly) watchable, and Tarzan had a really good first half but completely let itself go after that. Star Trek Beyond certainly had it's moments but too much of it was generic or dull. Jason Bourne was rubbish. Haven't seen The BFG or Suicide Squad, yet.

Is it just me, or has it been a worse than usual year for blockbusters so far?

Zootropolis - one of the best films this year, Aneurin, you've been lucky!
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue 09 Aug 2016, 13:01

Zootropolis was good - but not great... it was a bit too political for a kids film... maybe that was the point - but I get that we shouldn't mis-treat or fear people for having different beliefs. Surely the majority do and we don't need silly messages like that?

Or maybe I'm thinking about it too much...

Anyway Star Trek tonight. Thinking it'll be entertaining and hopefully slightly less annoying (in terms of copying Star Trek 3) than Into Darkness did with tWoK...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Tue 09 Aug 2016, 14:34

Aneurin wrote:Zootropolis was good - but not great... it was a bit too political for a kids film... maybe that was the point - but I get that we shouldn't mis-treat or fear people for having different beliefs. Surely the majority do and we don't need silly messages like that?

Or maybe I'm thinking about it too much...

Anyway Star Trek tonight. Thinking it'll be entertaining and hopefully slightly less annoying (in terms of copying Star Trek 3) than Into Darkness did with tWoK...

I expected Star Trek to be terrible, but was pleasantly surprised. It isn't a cinematic masterpiece. It doesn't make sense in many ways, the fight scenes are terrible and the ending is as cheesy as a Babybel factory, but otherwise it's quite entertaining.
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next