Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Board game friendly pubs for extra-sessioning

+3
Admin
Kes
Lizzy
7 posters

Go down

Board game friendly pubs for extra-sessioning Empty Board game friendly pubs for extra-sessioning

Post  Lizzy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:56

I've played board games in a lot of pubs now and I've been gathering info on where we could potentially play. Thought I would dump it somewhere in case any one wants to organise a session or whatever and wants to know what the options are:

BREW DOG
Board game friendly, has a selection of games no-one with any sense would play. Have spoken to the staff and they’re happy for anyone to show up and play games. Often quite empty on weekdays. Excellent beer and food, but pricey. Central location.

DEVONSHIRE CAT
Board game friendly, can book tables in advance. Has started doing table service, which is really awkward and has gone downhill beer and foodwise lately. Central location.

HARLEQUIN
Board game friendly, has a games night itself already. Free function room upstairs can be booked. Good beer and food (not been there myself, but have heard that). Bit out of the way.

HILLSBOROUGH HOTEL
Very friendly owners, board games friendly. Good beer and cheap food. Not central, but on tram.

THE HOP
Potentially have the upstairs free on Thursdays for games; they’re getting in big tables with games in mind. No idea how they would be with people just showing up. Good beer and pie, central location.

PATRIOT GAMES
Jim has said we can use their room whenever it’s free (currently free on Thursdays). Wouldn’t be private, there’d be people about and no food or drink obvs, but could be an option for organising tournaments or things like that.

RED DEER
Board game friendly, has a small selection itself. Has a free function room upstairs, but only does about 20-30 people. Good beer and food. Central location.

RED HOUSE
Current home of the club, board game friendly (obviously). Will open on Sunday if you pre-arrange with Danny and has our boards. Variable beer and no food, but ok with people bringing food if you ask. Odd location, but not far from tram and easy parking. Cat.

RUTLAND ARMS
Very accommodating, board game friendly. Free function room upstairs fits 20 people. Excellent beer and food. Central location.

THE SCHOLAR
Free function room can be booked, plenty of space. Awkward location, poor beer, but they will cook up chips for groups (not free though). May, or may not, have any lighting.  

SHAKESPEARE
Big function room available upstairs. Excellent beer, no food, but happy for people to bring food. Bit out of the way and often booked up with gigs etc.

UNI ARMS
I play here often and they’re fine with people just turning up and playing board games. They usually have plenty of space upstairs, but they do charge for that room so if you try and organise for lots of people, there’ll be a charge. Good beer and good cheap food. Run by University so often closes during holidays.

OTHER
There are larger spaces available for hire for events. The Millennial Gardens, Western Park and the Workspace by the Showroom are all options. Probably be expensive, but if we ever organise a convention...

Last edited by CocoaCocoabo on Tue 01 Jul 2014, 11:09; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : adding info)
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Board game friendly pubs for extra-sessioning Empty Re: Board game friendly pubs for extra-sessioning

Post  Lizzy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 12:57

Anyone have any more suggestions? Or comments?
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Board game friendly pubs for extra-sessioning Empty Re: Board game friendly pubs for extra-sessioning

Post  Kes Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:13

You didn't mention the Redhouse
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:24

Well I kinda took that as read!
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:26

Also, someone mentioned the millenium galleries and western park have some space
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 30 Jun 2014, 14:58

Be careful - talk of lets play here, lets play there... smells of the club disbanding...

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 15:13

Aneurin wrote:Be careful - talk of lets play here, lets play there... smells of the club disbanding...

Eh? Who's saying that?
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Mon 30 Jun 2014, 15:24

I think this is more for one off days or if you happen to be meeting non-club people on a non-club day
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Mon 30 Jun 2014, 15:42

CocoaCocoabo wrote:Anyone have any more suggestions? Or comments?
Rutland sounds like a good possibility. Any down sides?
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 15:55

Kes wrote:I think this is more for one off days or if you happen to be meeting non-club people on a non-club day

That's exactly what I meant. I just thought it'd be useful to have all this information written down somewhere in case anyone wants a venue for playing board games. It's clogging my head.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 30 Jun 2014, 15:58

Too confusing with all the talk of finding a new venue to play on a Tuesday night...

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Mon 30 Jun 2014, 16:03

Delete the thread if you want, I'll just save the information on my computer. I can post it later.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon M Tue 01 Jul 2014, 09:29

Don't delete it's a really useful thread, Anuerin is being strangely paranoid which can only mean he's onto our plot to 'get him'. Stand down and await orders agents the target has rumbled us !
Jon M
Jon M
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Tue 01 Jul 2014, 10:57

jonnyboy wrote:Don't delete it's a really useful thread, Anuerin is being strangely paranoid which can only mean he's onto our plot to 'get him'. Stand down and await orders agents the target has rumbled us !

Thanks Jon, glad someone appreciates the effort  Rolling Eyes

P.S. Are you recruiting any more agents? I might be interested...
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Tue 01 Jul 2014, 11:00

Bunglebogs wrote:Rutland sounds like a good possibility. Any down sides?

The Rutland isn't big, that's its downside. The room upstairs is about the size of the room to the left when you walk in the Red House. It's also often busy because people know it's a great pub. Saying that we were there the other Sunday and were about the only people there! But on Thursday or Friday nights it's always absolutely rammed.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Tue 01 Jul 2014, 12:51

CocoaCocoabo wrote:
jonnyboy wrote:Don't delete it's a really useful thread, Anuerin is being strangely paranoid which can only mean he's onto our plot to 'get him'. Stand down and await orders agents the target has rumbled us !

Well, actually, I WAS planning on setting up a militant splinter group - the "Peoples Sheffield Board Games Club"...
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Tue 01 Jul 2014, 13:47

We'll send the heavies round to quash this rebellion against glorious club of Sheffield board games
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 01 Jul 2014, 13:51

Bunglebogs wrote:
CocoaCocoabo wrote:

Well, actually, I WAS planning on setting up a militant splinter group - the "Peoples Sheffield Board Games Club"...

however if you want to join my splinter group "Peoples Board Games Club of Sheffield" you have to really hate the Romans...
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Tue 01 Jul 2014, 16:20

ch1ma3ra wrote:however if you want to join my splinter group "Peoples Board Games Club of Sheffield" you have to really hate the Romans...

Splitter!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew_Wilko Sun 13 Jul 2014, 05:19

I've played board games before in The Swim Inn. There's a room on the left of the main entrance that's easy to miss but slightly out of the way and OK for games. I don't know exactly how to get permission so ask around : )

Andrew_Wilko
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down