Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Camille's games

+5
PaulC
Alex
paulyg
BeardyTom
Camille&Pierre
9 posters

Go down

Camille's games Empty Camille's games

Post  Camille&Pierre Fri 29 May 2015, 21:35

Hello,

New to the club and I haven't been to any meetings yet. I will stop being shy and come at the next one. Weekends would also be good if you sometimes play.

I have only a very very small list of games:
- Lords of Xidit since Xmas - really like it but feel like every game is the same
- Jaipur - like it a lot
- Axis & Allies
- Tickets to ride - I would like to try the different version
- Gloom - not sure that i like it, never played with more than 2 people, a bit disappointed - maybe worth trying again

I would love to try Carcassonne or Agricola (my next buy or present). Or anything really!

Camille&Pierre
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Camille's games Empty Re: Camille's games

Post  BeardyTom Fri 29 May 2015, 22:31

Welcome to the Sheffield Board Games Club! You'll never leave! Very Happy

That's an interesting range of games, from the fairly quick 2-player Jaipur (which I love) to the big wargame. I've been wanting to try Lords of Xidit so maybe you could bring it along sometime. As for Gloom, my partner really likes playing it as a lunchtime game at work with a friend of hers. I'm not as keen on it as she is but I know the appeal lies more in drawing out the ridiculous narratives than the game itself.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Fri 29 May 2015, 23:27

Welcome! As well as the Tuesday nights in the Redhouse we also play all day on the first Sunday of the month at the Red Deer. That's a good opportunity to play some longer games (or just lots of games)! And people organise extra sessions all the time so you'll find no shortage of opportunities to play...
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Sat 30 May 2015, 01:06

Hi and indeed welcome!

As Paul has already said, we play at the Red Deer (just off West Street, behind Subway) and the next one is on June 7th, people will be there from 12noon, come and go as you please but lunch is highly recommended as is dinner and also snacks - all are superb!

I really like Gloom, for me it is the fabrication of really tenuous links between the mishaps. You really need a group of similarly bizarre friends to play off one another in "outrageousness" stakes (similar to the game Braggart) for this one to work though.

Any meet up will have many games available to play, bring one along or learn a new one!

Alex
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Sat 30 May 2015, 12:17

Welcome Camille! I think Gloom works much better with 3 or 4 players, don't give up on it just yet!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Sat 30 May 2015, 15:11

Hi, welcome to the club. I've got Ticket to Ride: Europe. I'm sure I can be persuaded to bring it along one week.
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Sat 30 May 2015, 20:30

Welcome to the club Camille. Smile
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Camille&Pierre Tue 02 Jun 2015, 18:40

Thank you!

Perfect I will join you this Sunday then!

Camille&Pierre
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Mattel Wed 03 Jun 2015, 10:12

Paul wrote:Welcome Camille! I think Gloom works much better with 3 or 4 players, don't give up on it just yet!

I found it was more about making funny stories up than too much game play - but I enjoyed it

Mattel
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Wed 03 Jun 2015, 10:19

Mattel wrote:
Paul wrote:Welcome Camille! I think Gloom works much better with 3 or 4 players, don't give up on it just yet!

I found it was more about making funny stories up than too much game play - but I enjoyed it

You're right, story telling adds another dimension, but puts a lot of people off the game. It is still enjoyable without it.
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 03 Jun 2015, 10:23

Paul wrote:
Mattel wrote:

You're right, story telling adds another dimension, but puts a lot of people off the game. It is still enjoyable without it.

I like Gloom but I hate doing the stories - I'm happier playing without, but also, as Paul says, it works a lot better with more people...
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Wed 03 Jun 2015, 10:26

I quite like Gloom, but I'm not that excited about the characters and setting in the original. Fairy Tale Gloom is out now/soon which I think could be a lot more fun. I was also lucky enough to watch the designer play the unpublishable "Copyright Infringement Gloom" with various characters from Star Trek, Star Wars, BSG, etc. which was excellent!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down