Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduce your self

+30
PsychicLord
Kev T
BeardyTom
Owen_C
FatDave
Adz
Ianm
RikTheChief
SamVS
hobouk
Gaz
Alison
JohnH
swilbur
Conjunctio
JonathanGuise
systemsam
Davey
Ste
paulyg
PaulC
Laura
Lizzy
Kes
DaveB
karl_b
rain242
mikew
Admin
Anubis
34 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Introduce your self - Page 3 Empty Re: Introduce your self

Post  Lizzy Wed 15 Jun 2016, 13:08

GiveWay wrote:Hi all.  My name is Jonathan,  I turned up last night with my partner Jenny and we had a good time.

Welcome! Glad to hear you had a good time.

GiveWay wrote:I have recently got into playing x-wing minatures, so give me a shout if you want a game.

There's a bunch of us at the club who play X-Wing - some casually, some more seriously. Kes is our resident X-Wing obsessive so you should speak to him, but I'm also happy to give you a game sometime.

There's also a group that play every Monday night at the Wargames Emporium. They're a friendly bunch (ask for Graham) and they'd also be very happy to help you out getting started.

Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed 15 Jun 2016, 13:10

Lizzy wrote:Kes is our resident X-Wing obsessive so you should speak to him

Says the person holding an x-wing trophy in her Avatar Wink

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Wed 15 Jun 2016, 14:57

I'm the obsessive? From you?!
Seriously though, it is great and I will play it with you.
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Wed 15 Jun 2016, 16:20

Kes wrote:I'm the obsessive? From you?!

Yes! I don't know how this is even a debate Neutral
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Introduce your self - Page 3 Empty Interested potential new memb

Post  Conjunctio Tue 21 Jun 2016, 13:24

Hello all.

In true confessional style... my name is Matthew (Matt) and I am a 'sometimes' board gamer.

I saw this club come up on web search a few weeks ago and I'm thinking to find out more.

I mainly play either miniature wargames (Napoleonics) or currently a roleplaying game (The One Ring).
I've not really found a club I've felt able to establish myself in since moving from Leicester 6 years ago.

Board games I particularly like are usually also of the wargame type such as Conflict of Heroes or Command and Colors Ancients (I do a Lord of the Rings version). Both of these games I've also converted into a miniatures game.

Currently I'm trying to learn an old Avalon Hill out of print game called Magic Realm. The rules are notoriously difficult.

Other faves include Conquistador, Dawn of War, War of the Ring, Dorn, Leader One, Around the World in Eighty Days and pretty much anything published Kevin Zucker for Napoleonics plus Napoleon at Marengo.

One of the most enjoyable games I played was Twilight Imperium. I understand there's a recent addition to this game based on the old Avalon Hill 'Dune' game (which I made a version of and really like).

Do members usually plan ahead what will get played on a given night?
Do people play longer games outside of Tuesday nights?

Cheers,

Matt

Conjunctio
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Tue 21 Jun 2016, 13:55

Conjunctio wrote:Hello all.

In true confessional style... my name is Matthew (Matt) and I am a 'sometimes' board gamer.

I saw this club come up on web search a few weeks ago and I'm thinking to find out more.

I mainly play either miniature wargames (Napoleonics) or currently a roleplaying game (The One Ring).
I've not really found a club I've felt able to establish myself in since moving from Leicester 6 years ago.

Board games I particularly like are usually also of the wargame type such as Conflict of Heroes or Command and Colors Ancients (I do a Lord of the Rings version). Both of these games I've also converted into a miniatures game.

Currently I'm trying to learn an old Avalon Hill out of print game called Magic Realm. The rules are notoriously difficult.

Other faves include Conquistador, Dawn of War, War of the Ring, Dorn, Leader One, Around the World in Eighty Days and pretty much anything published Kevin Zucker for Napoleonics plus Napoleon at Marengo.

One of the most enjoyable games I played was Twilight Imperium. I understand there's a recent addition to this game based on the old Avalon Hill 'Dune' game (which I made a version of and really like).

Do members usually plan ahead what will get played on a given night?
Do people play longer games outside of Tuesday nights?

Cheers,

Matt
Hi Matt, and welcome!

Things are fairly fluid and easy-going. Some people plan what they're going to play in advance, whilst others prefer to turn up on the night and arrange something. The club has a small library, and people often bring a pile of their own games for others to try so there's always something to play even if you don't make plans or bring anything yourself. If you want to plan anything in advance then there is a thread for each Tuesday night on each forum where people will make suggestions and people can 'sign up' for a given game.

As well as the Tuesday nights at the University Arms, there's also a longer session at the Red Deer on the first Sunday of the month which runs from 1pm until late and can be a good opportunity to play longer games. People do also arrange other things outside the official sessions. For example, I host a big game of Twilight Imperium 3rd edition at my house roughly every 3 months. You'd be welcome to come and play at one of those (next one hasn't been organised just yet).

Hope to see you at a session soon!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Conjunctio Wed 22 Jun 2016, 13:44

Yes to playing Twilight Imperium - though please note I've only played once and that was several years ago so if you only want spaces for experienced players I'll understand.

Does anyone play Arkham Horror board game - I quite like the look of that?

Or Brittania (or is that Britannia I nan never remember)?

I have Magic Realm which I could use some help with playtesting/getting my head around the rules if anyone likes the look of it...

Cheers,

Matt

Conjunctio
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Wed 22 Jun 2016, 13:50

Conjunctio wrote:Yes to playing Twilight Imperium - though please note I've only played once and that was several years ago so if you only want spaces for experienced players I'll understand.
I think we've had at least one completely new player at every game so far, so won't be a problem. All we ask is that you have a look through the rules in advance. I like to think we're quite forgiving with new players. :-)

Conjunctio wrote:Does anyone play Arkham Horror board game - I quite like the look of that?

Or Brittania (or is that Britannia I nan never remember)?

I have Magic Realm which I could use some help with playtesting/getting my head around the rules if anyone likes the look of it...

Cheers,

Matt
I've played Arkham Horror a couple of times and enjoyed it - I'd be up for a game some time but I'd have to refresh myself on the rules! I think it's one of those games that splits opinion at the club. I'm on the side that it's fun as long as you embrace the chaos!

I'd not heard of Magic Realm but just looked it up and... it looks epic! Could be a good candidate for a Sunday. I'd give it a go. But not a 16-player game ;-)
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Thu 23 Jun 2016, 16:29

I suppose I should post here since I finally signed up for the forum.  This is Scott. (The American one who keeps trying to get people to play War of the Ring or Chaos in the Old World instead of those boring old "Man looks at map in front of a construction site" Euros.)

(Hmm. I'm not allowed to make that into a link with this new account.  Try this: boardgamegeek dot com/geeklist/150504/similar-cover-arts-or-man-beard-holds-map-and-look )

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Thu 23 Jun 2016, 17:24

swilbur wrote:I suppose I should post here since I finally signed up for the forum.  This is Scott. (The American one who keeps trying to get people to play War of the Ring or Chaos in the Old World instead of those boring old "Man looks at map in front of a construction site" Euros.)

(Hmm.  I'm not allowed to make that into a link with this new account.  Try this: boardgamegeek dot com/geeklist/150504/similar-cover-arts-or-man-beard-holds-map-and-look )

Ah, the good old time traveling euro map guy.

He's just lost! It's a little known fact that the guy on the cover of most boardgames is in fact the inspiration for Quantum Leap, the map or instructions he is seen holding is analogous to Ziggy, and we, the players, are Sam.

He's just hoping his next game will be his leap home.

JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Thu 23 Jun 2016, 17:27

JohnH wrote:
swilbur wrote:I suppose I should post here since I finally signed up for the forum.  This is Scott. (The American one who keeps trying to get people to play War of the Ring or Chaos in the Old World instead of those boring old "Man looks at map in front of a construction site" Euros.)

(Hmm.  I'm not allowed to make that into a link with this new account.  Try this: boardgamegeek dot com/geeklist/150504/similar-cover-arts-or-man-beard-holds-map-and-look )

He's just lost! It's a little known fact that the guy on the cover of most boardgames is in fact the inspiration for Quantum Leap, the map or instructions he is seen holding is analogous to Ziggy, and we, the players, are Sam.

You've now made me wonder: why isn't there a Quantum Leap board game (well, there is, but it's an abstract game nothing to do with the TV show)? Someone should get on that!
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Thu 23 Jun 2016, 17:39

paulyg wrote:
JohnH wrote:

You've now made me wonder: why isn't there a Quantum Leap board game (well, there is, but it's an abstract game nothing to do with the TV show)? Someone should get on that!

Did you not read what I just typed? EVERY game is a Quantum Leap board game!

Think about it....

(Seriously though, how could you do a quantum leap boardgame without it being an rpg [akin to TIME stories]? it's a good question. someone should indeed get on it)
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Fri 24 Jun 2016, 09:07

JohnH wrote:
paulyg wrote:
JohnH wrote:

Think about it....

(Seriously though, how could you do a quantum leap boardgame without it being an rpg [akin to TIME stories]? it's a good question. someone should indeed get on it)
A Quantum Leap game wouldn't have to focus on time travel, the show wasn't so much about jumping backward and forward in time, but about jumping into strange situations without a clear understanding of the objective. (Pretty much how I feel whenever I play a new game until around 2 turns from the end!)

Incidentally, and on a completely non game related tangent, I was always really annoyed with the opening voiceover to Quantum Leap: "Theorising that one could time travel within his won lifetime, Dr Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished..." No, he didn't! As far as an observer was concerned, at the moment of the leap, nothing happened - it was just his consciousness that transferred. Sheesh - details, people!
I realise that maybe I shouldn't have focused on that specific detail and just enjoyed the show, but that's me all over - my wife LOVES that particular quality in me, I can tell you...
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  JohnH Fri 24 Jun 2016, 09:59

PaulC wrote:
JohnH wrote:
paulyg wrote:
JohnH wrote:

Think about it....

A Quantum Leap game wouldn't have to focus on time travel, the show wasn't so much about jumping backward and forward in time, but about jumping into strange situations without a clear understanding of the objective. (Pretty much how I feel whenever I play a new game until around 2 turns from the end!)

Incidentally, and on a completely non game related tangent, I was always really annoyed with the opening voiceover to Quantum Leap: "Theorising that one could time travel within his won lifetime, Dr Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished..." No, he didn't! As far as an observer was concerned, at the moment of the leap, nothing happened - it was just his consciousness that transferred. Sheesh - details, people!
I realise that maybe I shouldn't have focused on that specific detail and just enjoyed the show, but that's me all over - my wife LOVES that particular quality in me, I can tell you...

So what you're saying is we need a game where as an action we place a worker into a time machine, and then our control "leaps" into another game of some sort where we are building a pyramid, or racing in the indie 500, or writing peggy sue, whilst our original worker stays on the original board?

Easily could make that as an add on to any/every game - A mini board containing 1 action space (the quantum leap accelerator) and 1 meeple, maybe with a dice to denote which other table in the room you then have to move to and play whatever game the people are playing there.
JohnH
JohnH
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Alison Sat 29 Oct 2016, 00:07

Hello all, I'm assuming this is still the place to do introductions! I'm relatively new to the Sheffield area and still getting my bearings so figured I needed to find something like this to meet new people. I used to go to an occasional board game meet up down in Milton Keynes and really enjoyed it so figured this shouldn't be much different. I didn't go that often so I'm still unfamiliar with most games but tend to enjoy any I've tried. I'll try and pop along to the next Tuesday meeting. Is there anyone I can come say hi to on the day and introduce myself as the newbie?

Alison
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Sat 29 Oct 2016, 11:35

Alison wrote:Hello all, I'm assuming this is still the place to do introductions! I'm relatively new to the Sheffield area and still getting my bearings so figured I needed to find something like this to meet new people. I used to go to an occasional board game meet up down in Milton Keynes and really enjoyed it so figured this shouldn't be much different. I didn't go that often so I'm still unfamiliar with most games but tend to enjoy any I've tried. I'll try and pop along to the next Tuesday meeting. Is there anyone I can come say hi to on the day and introduce myself as the newbie?

Hi Alison, welcome to the forum and to the club!

We're [generally] a friendly bunch and we tend to number 20-30 most weeks so there will be plenty of people around. If you want to come and say hello then there is a notional club 'committee' who will be more than willing to introduce you to the club and find a game for you to join.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Gaz Tue 30 May 2017, 12:19

Hi Everyone, just like to introduce myself and looks like I'll also be bumping and old thread so sorry! I'm Gaz, 35 and I live in Kiveton Park just outside of Sheffield. I have recently returned to playing tabletop games, admittedly last time I did it with any enthusiasm was about 20 something years ago when I had a pretty respectable Space Marine army...

I have recently bought a few card games like Fluxx, Gloom, Chrononauts etc. and have enjoyed playing them with my girlfriend (not sure how much she has enjoyed it too ha ha) and I quite fancy having ago at some of the board games that seem to have taken off in recent years like Pandemic, King of Tokyo etc.

I don't have a great deal of mates really into gaming and was interested to find your group online. Currently I have childcare commitments most Tuesdays but that might be changing soon, so hoping to come along to a games night in the near future.

Cheers

Gaz
Gaz
Gaz
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 30 May 2017, 12:26

Gaz wrote:Hi Everyone, just like to introduce myself and looks like I'll also be bumping and old thread so sorry! I'm Gaz, 35 and I live in Kiveton Park just outside of Sheffield. I have recently returned to playing tabletop games, admittedly last time I did it with any enthusiasm was about 20 something years ago when I had a pretty respectable Space Marine army...

I have recently bought a few card games like Fluxx, Gloom, Chrononauts etc. and have enjoyed playing them with my girlfriend (not sure how much she has enjoyed it too ha ha) and I quite fancy having ago at some of the board games that seem to have taken off in recent years like Pandemic, King of Tokyo etc.

I don't have a great deal of mates really into gaming and was interested to find your group online. Currently I have childcare commitments most Tuesdays but that might be changing soon, so hoping to come along to a games night in the near future.

Cheers

Gaz

Hi Gaz and welcome!

First of all don't worry about bumping this thread - saying "HI!" is exactly why it exists Smile

You'll find a variety of tastes in games at the club ranging from the very light to the really quite heavy (and if you have a masochistic side there is some *really* heavy/long stuff arranged here for outside club nights). You'll find some folk will arrange a game here on the forum while others prefer to rock up on the night - if you see something you like the look of on a night you know you're coming feel free to ask for a spot, otherwise feel free to just rock up and see what you fancy on the night.

The one recommendation I would make though, is that we start at 7 and typically most games have started by 7:30 - so try to be on time as it sucks to be sat around waiting 30-60 min+ waiting for someone to be free to play :/

Anyway, hope to see you at the club soon!

Dave
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Tue 30 May 2017, 13:02

Gaz, welcome and thanks for bumping the thread and introducing yourself!

I'm always happy, and I know others are, to play games such as KoT, Pandemic, Catan, TTR, etc etc and the club has a decent selection of entry level games to dive in to.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hobouk Tue 22 Aug 2017, 18:49

Just saying hi was thinking of coming along next tuesday ? is there a secret knock or is it obvious where to go?
Thanks and hello

hobouk
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 22 Aug 2017, 18:50

hobouk wrote:Just saying hi was thinking of coming along next tuesday ? is there a secret knock or is it obvious where to go?
Thanks and hello

We are on the first floor - easy to find us! Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 23 Aug 2017, 00:18

Just remember to bring your scroll of introduction to earn passage from the guardian lion.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Fri 25 Aug 2017, 15:54

Can I just ask as well, if you have been and didn't come back, if there's any particular reason then please don't hesitate to let us know. There are some things out of our control for example the room can be a bit hot and noisy but I would hate to think that people don't return if it's something we can work to fix. Feel free to PM any of us at the club and we will do what we can to address your concerns. Even if you decide you will not ever come back, it might be something we can change in the future for any newcomers.

Also if you are a newcomer and we are doing something right, let us know so we can carry on doing it! Again you can PM any of us if you want to do it in private.

Thanks!
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Fri 25 Aug 2017, 18:48

Maybe it's worth making a Survey Monkey form (or something similar) that people can submit their thoughts to entirely anonymously, and without having to make an account. It could be linked in the welcome message on the forum homepage.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri 25 Aug 2017, 20:02

When I started coming to the club the three other members made me feel very welcome. I've stayed for another 10 years. Wink.

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm Tue 29 Aug 2017, 08:30

My pall attended just the once. He enjoyed it but had issues with noise. It was a busy night and not a lot can be done about that. I do think I can get him to a quiter Sunday session sometime.
Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next