Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduce your self

+30
PsychicLord
Kev T
BeardyTom
Owen_C
FatDave
Adz
Ianm
RikTheChief
SamVS
hobouk
Gaz
Alison
JohnH
swilbur
Conjunctio
JonathanGuise
systemsam
Davey
Ste
paulyg
PaulC
Laura
Lizzy
Kes
DaveB
karl_b
rain242
mikew
Admin
Anubis
34 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Introduce your self - Page 4 Empty Re: Introduce your self

Post  Ianm Tue 29 Aug 2017, 08:30

My pall attended just the once. He enjoyed it but had issues with noise. It was a busy night and not a lot can be done about that. I do think I can get him to a quiter Sunday session sometime.

Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Adz Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:54

I attended for the first time last night and had a great time. Thanks to everyone who made me feel welcome and let me play their games - Valeria, Fabulous Beasts and Good Cop, Bad Cop. Looking forward to next week.
Adz
Adz
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  FatDave Wed 07 Nov 2018, 09:58

Howdoo all. Dave here.

Me and the wife have been gaming for the last couple of years, love a bit of Betrayal, BSG, and our favourite, Eldritch Horror. Our work lives are barmy and ever changing so not sure how often we'll be able to attend, but hopefully soon enough.

FatDave
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Wed 07 Nov 2018, 10:59

FatDave wrote:Howdoo all. Dave here.

Me and the wife have been gaming for the last couple of years, love a bit of Betrayal, BSG, and our favourite, Eldritch Horror. Our work lives are barmy and ever changing so not sure how often we'll be able to attend, but hopefully soon enough.

Welcome Dave!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Owen_C Mon 19 Nov 2018, 02:13

Hey all, Owen here.

I moved to Sheffield literally two days ago and I will certainly need board games in my life in order to fully function Laughing I'm still ironing out some stuff in my life, but I'm hoping I'll have a chance to come along at some point, very likely this week at least if sessions are running?

I've run three public board game groups over the last seven years in my previous town, so I'm looking forward to being able to simply come along and participate instead of leading for a change! Smile

Currently obSESSed with Spirit Island, I will certainly be bringing it to my first session if anyone'd like to play? It's the kind of game that really rewards repeat play, but I still think the first time experience is very satisfying too. Love a lot of other co-ops as well: Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed, Arkham Horror LCG, Mage Knight, Hanabi, etc. in addition to enjoying most card-based game play, e.g. Terraforming Mars, Race for the Galaxy (big fan of Roll too), Twilight Struggle, BattleCON, pretty much any LCG... If it has mostly cards then I'm down cheers

Also into most Euros unless they're dry as bone in the theme department (need to get some Dominant Species loving in at some point!), love a little team gaming now and then (Decrypto, Captain Sonar), as well as some delicious social deduction (The Resistance Twisted Evil)

Saw a thread from a few months back of people looking to try Argent: The Consortium...? The second edition hasn't been delivered out yet I don't think, but I do have first edition if anyone would like a go? I highly recommend it if you're okay with somewhat chaotic worker placement that has hilarious amounts of stuff to do and collect - it was easily my game of the year when I first got it. Surprisingly few rules to learn, just a bit of iconography to get to grips with and then you're off, however the overwhelming number of options available to do each turn can be very oppressive at first, so expect to feel a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff. It also has a disgustingly large table footprint requirement.

Finishing with a fun (gaming) fact about me: I once wrote a 13,000 word strategy guide for Love Letter - a game that's something like 70% luck! tongue Rolling Eyes Laughing Unfortunately I never backed it up and lost the file, which I remain gutted about to this day! Mad

Looking forward to meeting you all! Very Happy
Owen_C
Owen_C
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Mon 19 Nov 2018, 07:45

Welcome, Owen; you'll fit in very well!

I'm also a big fan of Euros and there's a lot of love for Dominant Species at the club, it's been a while since we played so let's do it soon (nudge nudge, Aneurin).

Used to play a lot of RftG but not so much in the last 2 years, always keen to get it to the table and I'm also big on Spirit Island having recently purchased it.

Let me know if you ever change your mind about just participating, we always need help with a few organisational matters!
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 19 Nov 2018, 08:23

Did someone mention Domiant Species? I’m there. Name the date -
I’ll bring the game.

What dates are folks free in December?

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Mon 01 Jul 2019, 13:27

A bump to see if any of our newer members want to say a bit about themselves. Or indeed if our long standing members want to say hi again. 

Hi, I'm Tom and I've been coming to the club for almost 5 years after my partner got me into the hobby. Paula still buys the majority of the games for our collection and she does occasionally come along to the club. These days I make it to maybe half of the Tuesday sesssions and I'm usually at the monthly Sunday sessions all afternoon. I haven't yet ventured north to the Wednesday sessions at Castle Gaming. I have a preference for medium-weight Eurogames although I'll play anything from No Thanks to Twilight Imperium. I also dabble in designing and run a monthly playtest session at the Treehouse cafe.

Who are you youngsters? What are you doing on my lawn? I remember when it was all Agricola round here, etc. etc.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 01 Jul 2019, 14:07

Hi Tom, I'm Dave, I've just passed my six-year anniversary with the club. I like to play a great many things, although I'm not a huge fan of abstract games (I enjoy a good theme) and not the biggest fan of really chewy euros, but will generally give most things a go. This includes dexterity games, even though it's been pretty conclusively proven that I suck at each and every one of them!

I'm married and, while my wife enjoys playing games from time to time, she doesn't attend the club very much at all, says she enjoys having a night off from me instead, whatever that means Smile

I'm along the majority of Tuesday, the occasional Wednesday and almost never on the Sunday sessions.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev T Thu 04 Jul 2019, 08:40

Hello all,

I'm Kev, thinking of turning up at the club next Tuesday. I'm an Electrical engineer for a local industry. In my 40's, been a board game player since I was a kid, had a break from them in my twenties. Was slow to catch on to the renaissance, but eventually caught wind of it around 6 years ago with Pandemic. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what I'd been missing!

Will play almost anything, but I tend to gravitate towards heavier thematic games, although my collection probably doesn't reflect that too much. Some favourites of mine are: Eldritch Horror, Battlestar Galactic and Twilight Imperium 4.

I'll post my collection up in 'that thread'when I can figure out how to get the BGG app to play nicely. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to meeting some like minded gamers :-)
Kev T
Kev T
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Thu 04 Jul 2019, 09:23

Kev T wrote:Hello all,

I'm Kev, thinking of turning up at the club next Tuesday. I'm an Electrical engineer for a local industry. In my 40's, been a board game player since I was a kid, had a break from them in my twenties. Was slow to catch on to the renaissance, but eventually caught wind of it around 6 years ago with Pandemic. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what I'd been missing!

Will play almost anything, but I tend to gravitate towards heavier thematic games, although my collection probably doesn't reflect that too much. Some favourites of mine are: Eldritch Horror, Battlestar Galactic and Twilight Imperium 4.

I'll post my collection up in 'that thread'when I can figure out how to get the BGG app to play nicely. In the mean time, I'm looking forward to meeting some like minded gamers :-)

Welcome! think you'll definitely meet some like-minded folk with those preferred games - they're all popular ones!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Introduce your self - Page 4 Empty Not sure if anyone reads these... but here goes

Post  PsychicLord Sun 07 Jul 2019, 12:46

I am based in Chesterfield and have been playing tabletop games for many years (decades even).

I have a large collection of games from across a wide variety of themes, genres, and complexities. The collection exceeds 900, including a good 20% that are still shrink-wrapped as I have not got around to playing them.

Finding other tabletop game players has not always proved easy, so hopefully this club will turn around that situation.

PsychicLord
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Mon 08 Jul 2019, 10:54

PsychicLord wrote:I am based in Chesterfield and have been playing tabletop games for many years (decades even).

I have a large collection of games from across a wide variety of themes, genres, and complexities. The collection exceeds 900, including a good 20% that are still shrink-wrapped as I have not got around to playing them.

Finding other tabletop game players has not always proved easy, so hopefully this club will turn around that situation.

Welcome! 

That's... a lot of games! I'm sure we'd be happy to help you reduce your unplayed games pile.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Mon 08 Jul 2019, 15:05

PsychicLord wrote:I am based in Chesterfield and have been playing tabletop games for many years (decades even).

Yes! Finally, someone with more unplayed games than me! You are very welcome to the club! Smile
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Introduce your self - Page 4 Empty Will try again next week

Post  Kev T Wed 10 Jul 2019, 08:35

Unfortunately work got in the way last night. But I'm aiming to get down next Tuesday. On another note, am I OK posting my games collection in the 'collection's' thread? I ask, because it's a members only area and I'm technically not a member yet.
Kev T
Kev T
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Wed 10 Jul 2019, 09:52

Kev T wrote:Unfortunately work got in the way last night. But I'm aiming to get down next Tuesday. On another note, am I OK posting my games collection in the 'collection's' thread? I ask, because it's a members only area and I'm technically not a member yet.

Absolutely OK Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Wed 10 Jul 2019, 11:52

DaveB wrote:
Kev T wrote:Unfortunately work got in the way last night. But I'm aiming to get down next Tuesday. On another note, am I OK posting my games collection in the 'collection's' thread? I ask, because it's a members only area and I'm technically not a member yet.

Absolutely OK Smile

Yep, go for it!
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  JWD Wed 24 Jul 2019, 13:19

Hello all, Jeremy here.

I've come along a couple of times over the last year, but hope to turn up a bit more frequently. I went to the Tuesday session yesterday and had a great time. My favourite games are abstract strategy games with pasted on themes, so obviously Reiner Knizia is my favourite game designer (let me know if you ever fancy a game of Tigris). I like trying out any kind of game though.

JWD
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  kirk Sun 11 Aug 2019, 20:37

Hi all!

I'm Kirk, originally from Donny, but have lived/worked in Sheffield for the last few years.

Games wise, I'm too much of a noob to have a favourite style / genre, but current fav's in my collection are Carcassone, Betrayal, Codenames and ONUW. I just got Evolution: Climate which I'm dying to play!

I came along to a session last year and had a good night, but life ended up getting in the way of a repeated visit Mad So hopefully now I'm going to start coming more often, starting this Tuesday Smile

kirk
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  InsanitySpark Sun 05 Jan 2020, 23:37

Hello,

My name is Victor, originally from Bulgaria, but recently moved to the UK. As back in my country I never had the chance to play any boardgames, now, hopefully, I do and I hope to meet people to help me achieve that.
I am more than happy to play anything, including tanks, healers, buffers Smile As well as any game.
Let me know if someone has a place in their group for a newbie!

Kind regards and thank you for having me here.

InsanitySpark
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  Ianm Tue 07 Jan 2020, 17:54

InsanitySpark wrote:Hello,

My name is Victor, originally from Bulgaria, but recently moved to the UK. As back in my country I never had the chance to play any boardgames, now, hopefully, I do and I hope to meet people to help me achieve that.
I am more than happy to play anything, including tanks, healers, buffers Smile As well as any game.

Hi victor
There are normally various groups of games available to join in on a Tuesday evening at the university arms upstairs
People are there from 7pm onwards just introduce yourself and I am sure someone will find a game for you to join
Ianm
Ianm
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  InsanitySpark Sun 12 Jan 2020, 21:33

Ianm wrote:
InsanitySpark wrote:Hello,

Hi victor
There are normally various groups  of games available to join in on a Tuesday evening at the university arms upstairs
People are there from 7pm onwards just introduce yourself and I am sure someone will find a game for you to join

Thank you very much, I will try and join them as soon as I can.

InsanitySpark
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Introduce your self - Page 4 Empty Game night

Post  meepmeep Tue 14 Jan 2020, 19:59

Do you have to book in/on?

meepmeep
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 14 Jan 2020, 20:01

Absolutely not, free to rock up and see what your options are!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  meepmeep Tue 14 Jan 2020, 20:13

What's the average attendance?

meepmeep
Blue Cube
Blue Cube

Back to top Go down