Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boardgames and Depression

2 posters

Go down

Boardgames and Depression Empty Boardgames and Depression

Post  Ste Tue 23 Aug 2016, 08:46

Just seen this article on the Ars Technica website, it was published back in May so some may have seen it. Nevertheless it was an interesting read. Fortunately for me I've never suffered with depression but I know people who have/do and it was heartening to read that the guy writing this has found some respite by playing board games. It was also quite eye-opening in places, I can't really imagine what it must have been like inside this guy's head.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/i-have-suicidal-depression-and-board-games-saved-my-life/?comments=1
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Boardgames and Depression Empty Re: Boardgames and Depression

Post  DaveB Tue 23 Aug 2016, 09:54

I read that a month or two back, its a nice article and I'm glad that it helped him. Unfortunately it didn't help a friend of mine (one of the guys responsible for getting me back into boardgaming as it happens) who took his own life several years ago Sad
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Tue 23 Aug 2016, 11:48

DaveB wrote:I read that a month or two back, its a nice article and I'm glad that it helped him. Unfortunately it didn't help a friend of mine (one of the guys responsible for getting me back into boardgaming as it happens) who took his own life several years ago Sad

Sorry to hear that Dave. Life is a shitter sometimes. From reading this guy's accounts, I can definintely see how someone with high levels of anxiety can take comfort from something which is regimented, rules based, and holds no surprises beyond the confines of the game. I've never really thought about games like this before. I just see them as a fun thing to do. My wife would be the first to confess that she is "a bit OCD", she likes things to be in order and things like that, and she too loves playing games. Perhaps the same sort of thing applies to her too.
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down