Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I did a Board Game Review

+6
RikTheChief
paulyg
Ste
DaveB
PaulC
StephenW
10 posters

Go down

I did a Board Game Review Empty I did a Board Game Review

Post  StephenW Tue 28 Feb 2017, 11:30

Hello all

Some of you might know that I have been working on a Youtube Channel for a while now..

Well I have now developed enough confidence to do some board game reviews, my first video is up and if anyone is interested you welcome to give it a look.. Warning it is a little rough, but I would love some feedback and support from you delightful people, let me know what you think Smile

My main aim is to be funny and engaging, I want to give a feel for why a game is good rather than a dry rules explanation..

Review 1 = Coup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTf7XWykV4o
Review 2 = Click Clack Lumber Jack - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DmOBsAsEL8&t
Review 3 = Spyfall - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2qona3RAk&index
Review 4 = Space Crusade - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3T2SJZLRx8&list
Review 5 = Cards Against Humanity https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWIid5mxuCY
Review 6= Celestia https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNZC9fRdSo
Review 7 = Horus Heresy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IelwJ9gPYU

Cheers all

Last edited by StephenW on Tue 11 Apr 2017, 22:03; edited 3 times in total
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

I did a Board Game Review Empty Re: I did a Board Game Review

Post  PaulC Tue 28 Feb 2017, 12:31

Very good sir. 2 thumbs up!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Tue 28 Feb 2017, 13:15

Thanks man Smile
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 28 Feb 2017, 13:25

I liked it - the  only small criticism I would level is that you probably don't want the camera tripod resting on the table as things knocking the table make the camera vibrate in a somewhat unpleasant fashion (see around 1:23 for an example)

Other than that - good show sir!

Last edited by DaveB on Tue 28 Feb 2017, 14:15; edited 1 time in total
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Tue 28 Feb 2017, 14:14

First of all, a big well done for putting yourself out there with this video. Takes some massive proverbials to do something like this and you've earned yourself some respect from me. I couldn't do it.

I liked the video overall and I thought the mini play through with the toys at around 3:20 was really good. I've never played Coup and up until that point I didn't really know what the game was about. However I did think that at times you were trying to be Quintin Smith a bit too much. I've never met you though so apologies if that wasn't your intention and you just have similar mannerisms. I'm a big fan of the SUSD boys and if I'm honest wouldn't blame you for channelling him, but if it was me I'd be wanting to create your own thing rather than trying to be a SUSD clone.

Also flippant throwing about of components (in your case the box lid and instructions) makes me cringe! It reminded me slightly of Dice Tower's component drops.... I hate it when they do that! That's just me being weird though.

I've given you a subscribe and I look forward to seeing more.
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Tue 28 Feb 2017, 18:29

Hey Dave.. Your abolutly right, me and my wife are In discussion about buying a decent tripod.. I only have a cheep thing and the camera itself needs to be attached to the laptop, to se are looking at ways to make it easier.. Probably next month we will be making those purchases..

Thanks Ste... To be honest I take it as a compliment, I really like shut up and sit down, in fact they are the only board game reviewers I watch on occasion (I used to like Rab Florence back in the day too).. I would say that the funny camera angles ar inspired by them on a technical level but I didn't try and behave like anyone, just an animated version of myself.. Quinn's has got real talent and I have no illusions as to my own level, that being said I just want to post videos and keep them engaging enough to be watchable.. What mannerisms in particular? I want to watch out for it, people thinking he reminds me of SUSD is fine, (and a compliment) but people thinking I just ripped them off is something I want to avoid...

Sorry about throwing stuff too, really sorry.. I am a bit clumsy when the camera is on,(due to nerves) so I play up to it a little, and when I don't know what to do with a thing I tend to discard it somewhat roughly... massive thank you for subscribing though, it's more than I except or deserve Very Happy
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Tue 28 Feb 2017, 19:00

Great stuff! You're really engaging and the enthusiasm positively radiates! I like the toys and felt you explained the mechanics and appeal of the game well. If you want a bit of constructive criticism then I would just say: snappiness. I think you could end it at 5:53 and basically lose nothing - you're not billing it as a comprehensive rules run through so I don't think you need explain the fiddlier stuff.

Subscribed and looking forward to future videos.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Ste Tue 28 Feb 2017, 19:14

Honestly there's no need to apologise for the component throwing! It's your stuff do what you like! I'm just a little bit particular about taking care of my games. I don't go as far as putting sleeves on everything but throwing stuff about is a no go for me!

As for the things that reminded me of Quinn's, I'll watch the video again and try to pick some out for you, but I recall a few times you kinda did that thing with your voice that Quinn's does when he's asking a question or making a point. Do you know what I mean? He kinda goes a little bit high pitch and extends the length of a word. Also now you mention it the camera angles etc do remind me of SUSD videos but I don't see that as a bad thing! The SUSD videos are usually very well shot.

You're welcome for the sub, it's the least I can do.
Ste
Ste
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Tue 28 Feb 2017, 22:03

Good job, really enjoyed watching!
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Wed 01 Mar 2017, 11:44

Great job! It was definitely enjoyable to watch and I thought you explained all the basics very clearly and succinctly, well done! I've subscribed too and am also looking forward to future videos!
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Wed 01 Mar 2017, 12:41

Paul G - Massive thank you for the Sub man, you are right I could drop a bit of the waffle.. Hopefully the next one will be a bit sharper.. I want to snap Smile It might take a few episodes to get the style down, but the more I do the better I will become.

Ste - Looking back I see that too.. I naturally have that kind of approach whenever I try and make a point (especially at work)... But on reflection I might have naturally adopted it years ago when I first saw SUSD (As I watched them back when there very first episode came out on there own channel about 6 years ago).. and it is almost a part of me now.. I will try and tone it down a bit though as it comes across strong now you pointed it out.. Thank man, I want to make this my thing, not a copy of someone else's..

Rik and Samual.. Thank you both so much guys.. Appreciate the support.. I will slowly work on improving my style.. (massive thanks for the Sub Samual)..
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Wed 01 Mar 2017, 12:54

I too spotted the Quinns-isms, but hey, there are worse reviewers to channel than him! With a few more reviews under your belt you'll be able to reach out to the publishers to get your hands on pre-release copies of new games... I'm happy to help you test those out! Smile

Game reviewing was something I'd considered doing a while back, but given my only-fit-for-radio face coupled with my lack of charisma, wit and charm it was a non-starter! Smile I'm a game reviewing legend within my own man cave though!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Mon 06 Mar 2017, 11:48

Thanks as well PaulC, I think you should give it a go man, its loads of fun, your face is suitable for Youtube if not TV Smile

Also Everyone I have made a second Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DmOBsAsEL8

I won't post a new thread every-time because it will become overwhelming, but I will post here each time I upload a new video (as long as everyone is ok with that)

This one is alot short, I have taken your notes on and edited and cut in places I have also pulled back on the Quinnsisms (very tough to do).

Feedback is always welcome
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  BeardyTom Mon 06 Mar 2017, 12:33

StephenW wrote: I have also pulled back on the Quinnsisms (very tough to do).

I suppose it's like how the first explosion of punk bands in the late seventies following the revelation of seeing the Sex Pistols started off with a lot of soundalikes before they diverged and found their own styles and voices. Even Mark E Smith of the Fall sounds like he's doing a Johnny Rotten impression on Live At The Witch Trials, although you can still see the beginnings of the bold new direction they were going to explore.

So what I guess I'm saying is that if Quinns is Johnny Rotten and you are Mark E Smith then by the time you get on to your third album you'll be incomprehensibly shouting through a tube and ending every line with 'Ah'.

(edit) Am I old? Oh dear, I think I might be really old.

Oh, and I like your videos. I probably should have mentioned that first.
BeardyTom
BeardyTom
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Mon 06 Mar 2017, 17:49

I bet even Mr Rotten had his influences...

All good stuff Stephen. I would worry if you come across as being similar in style to some other dude, it's a none issue, just be the authentic you and have fun.
Jamie
Jamie
Count of Carcassonne

http://www.mrqwak.com

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Mon 13 Mar 2017, 16:30

Cheers guys, I really appreciate the support and kindness here..

New video is up if your interested, I feel it has a good balance of time to fun to opinion Smile I think I am getting into my stride with these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP2qona3RAk

Enjoy
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy S Tue 14 Mar 2017, 11:04

Like others, I did notice the Quinnsessence of the Coup video, but it didn't seem like an intentional imitation. We all inevitably adopt some of the mannerisms and speech patterns of those we admire and/or frequently observe or interact with. It was less obvious in the Click Clack Lumberjack video. By the way, I really liked the deadpan stare into camera while the tree tower fell off screen - keeping the tree's collapse out of sight was a neat, original touch and the comedic timing was spot on.

The vibe of these first few videos is SUSD-ish, but it doesn't feel obsequious or forced, and the more videos you make, the more your own personal style will naturally evolve and move you away from any such comparisons. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I like the use of the toys as players. It's whimsical and I think it assists in conveying the progress of each turn and the game on the whole. I'd like to think some of them might end up as recurring cast members, developing personalities, histories, and rivalries over time, which could be the basis for inside jokes in later videos. But that's probably just down to my penchant for attaching stories to everything.

All in all, I think you've got the seed of something good going here. Good luck.
Andy S
Andy S
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Tue 14 Mar 2017, 14:46

Andy thank you so much for the feedback and advice. I have had someones say they would have loved to have seen the tower fall but I wanted the imagination to kick in for the viewer (making them want to get it for themselves).

I am going to keep the four toys in all my episodes and I really like the idea that they start to develop personalities.. I may even have a side story going on over a few reviews when one of them kills off another, but the true culprit isn't revealed until later (if I ever want to replace them)..

I shall not stop, its alot of fun even if it is only ever for a couple of people, it is also very fun for myself
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Sun 19 Mar 2017, 23:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3T2SJZLRx8

Review number 4 my beauties Smile
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Mon 27 Mar 2017, 17:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWIid5mxuCY

Number 5 ... errr I its a bit blue, so you have been warned
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Tue 28 Mar 2017, 11:48

StephenW wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWIid5mxuCY

Number 5 ... errr I its a bit blue, so you have been warned

Another good review - and I entirely agree with your opinions about the game. Keep up the good work!

PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  StephenW Tue 11 Apr 2017, 21:58

Massive thank you for the support with these.. I will post the future ones above Smile any advice or tips would be appericated
StephenW
StephenW
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down