Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuesday 12th September

+5
DaveB
Samuel_C
Admin
systemsam
SamVS
9 posters

Go down

Tuesday 12th September Empty Tuesday 12th September

Post  SamVS Sat 09 Sep 2017, 19:53

Let's play some games, yeah. Any suggestions? I'll bring Memoir '44 down again, see if I can manage a better performance than last time.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Tuesday 12th September Empty Re: Tuesday 12th September

Post  systemsam Sat 09 Sep 2017, 23:01

Anyone for expanded dungeon petz or Kanban?
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 10 Sep 2017, 15:41

I'm not around this week. Have fun. Hey Psycho - you might actually win at Kanban

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Mon 11 Sep 2017, 19:03

Who'd like to give Flick em up: Dead of Winter a go?
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 11 Sep 2017, 22:15

Turns out I will be along tomorrow. No idea what I fancy playing, so have stuck Black Fleet, Manhatten Project, Diamant, Tiny Epic Galaxies and Secrets into my bag...
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Tue 12 Sep 2017, 11:51

DaveB wrote:Turns out I will be along tomorrow. No idea what I fancy playing, so have stuck Black Fleet, Manhatten Project, Diamant, Tiny Epic Galaxies and Secrets into my bag...

I'm coming down but I can't stop long, can we play Tiny Epic Galaxies?
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 12 Sep 2017, 12:09

RikTheChief wrote:
DaveB wrote:Turns out I will be along tomorrow. No idea what I fancy playing, so have stuck Black Fleet, Manhatten Project, Diamant, Tiny Epic Galaxies and Secrets into my bag...

Happy to, I should be there from about 1830ish Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Tue 12 Sep 2017, 17:09

Cab probably give you a memoir rematch sam
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RikTheChief Tue 12 Sep 2017, 17:44

DaveB wrote:
RikTheChief wrote:

Happy to, I should be there from about 1830ish Smile

Hi unfortunately I can't make it tonight sorry
RikTheChief
RikTheChief
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/rikthechief

Back to top Go down

Post  systemsam Tue 12 Sep 2017, 18:00

No one jumping on the heavy weights, so will bring some mids and see what the kraken is.
systemsam
systemsam
Dominant Species
Dominant Species

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:09

Played some good games last night...

Flick Em Up: Dead of Winter was great fun, a nice twist on Flick Em Up where (not surprisingly) you're playing as survivors battling against zombie hordes. The zombie rush mechanic (dropping zombies from the zombie tower and hoping they didn't hit your survivors when they scattered onto the table) was entertaining and led to some near misses as well as (almost inevitably) a few hits. In the end, we did manage to complete the scenario.

6 nimmt was also fun - basically a deck of cards numbered 1-104, each player gets 10 cards, 4 placed on the table to form 4 rows. You'll place your cards next to ones already down, but only if yours has a higher number, and only if there are fewer than 5 cards in the row. Failure means taking those cards, which scores you 'Oxen/bulls', and the least of those wins at the end - or rather most loses. We played with 9 people and it was great fun, plans going awry, or quite often working out just nicely and thus ruining someone else's plans.

Then onto Codenames, which was as good as ever.

Then the lowlight (for me anyway) - Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space. I struggled with the hidden movement nature of the game (I was playing one of the aliens) - I was completely unable to work out where anyone was and got less and less interested as turns passed whilst I got no closer to working anything out. Not one for me I think (and apologies for getting so noticeably frustrated)!

Last up was River Dragons, a game about 'who can cross the river first?', in this case by literally building bridges. It's an action programming game - each turn, you choose a sequence of 5 actions (such as moving, placing stones or planks, removing a stone or plank) from the ones available, then the first actions are revealed and resolved in order, then the next actions etc. However, each player also has a dragon cards for each other player that blocks that player's action in the same place in the sequence as the dragon card was played. There are other restrictions too, such as only 3 planks per stone support, which can mess up your plans quite easily. The game was extremely entertaining, with a lot of blocking, interaction and much screwing over of each other. Highly recommended!
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:54

Thumbs up for Flick 'em Up: Dead of Winter. Having zombies move towards you every turn (usually just flopping/flailing out of the tower, as zombies should, but occasionally spectacularly leaping and cartwheeling across the table) felt like you had to think much more about where you are moving yourself too. In the original Flick 'em Up I remember moving only to position myself for a better shot, but with the zombies you want to think more about the where you will be in relation to the nearest zombie, because that's the direction they will be rushing in. What, after your move, is going to end up between you and that zombie (not necessarily the zombie you were actually shooting at, by the way)? If it's scenery, you've just smartly taken cover, though if it's another survivor you've just screwed them over by making too much noise (just like Left 4 Dead). I wonder how much you can take advantage of that when playing with two teams of survivors. That could be a lot of fun. Of course, you could also miss the zombie you were shooting at which means the rush will come from them instead, which you might not have planned for.

All in all, pretty exciting.

Last edited by SamVS on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 12:02; edited 1 time in total
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:56

Codenames Challenge

Link these words:

- Unicorn
- Force
- Kangaroo
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Wed 13 Sep 2017, 12:16

Tricky to get all three at once. For kangaroo and force you could maybe say spring depending on what ruse was out there
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AntW Wed 13 Sep 2017, 12:52

These are a stretch;

Death - Unicorns have been nearly all killed out in the movie The Last Unicorn, Takes an amount of Force to kill someone and Im sure plenty of Kangaroos get killed by motorists each year
Kick - Unicorns are horse like, and kick in self defense unicorns might do the same? Kicking often has a lot of Force behind it, and Kangaroos also Kick in self defense.
Powerful - Unicorns are mythical creatures, often being strong and magical in movies, in Cabin in the Woods that dude got wrecked by one! in Star Wars The Force is pretty powerful, and Kangaroos are nothing by muscles, and are powerful!

Oh another one, Plant. Unicorn Plant, Kangaroo Paw Plants are real things, and the US Air Force manufacture their planes in Plants?

Oh of course, Movies! The Last Unicorn, Air Force One and Kangaroo Jack are all movies
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Wed 13 Sep 2017, 19:45

Unforcearoo - Easy, next challenge
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple