Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite Game

+6
PaulC
paulyg
Admin
Lizzy
James Wargamer
Kes
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favourite Game Empty Favourite Game

Post  Kes Sat 26 Apr 2014, 22:31

What's your favourite game considering every possible factor and reducing it down an overall winner. Only one allowed!

I think I still have to go with The Settlers of Catan.
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Favourite Game Empty Re: Favourite Game

Post  James Wargamer Sat 26 Apr 2014, 22:54

Combat Commander Europe. No, Pandemic. No, A Distant Plain. No, Agricola. No, Elk Fest.

I'll got with Elk Fest.
James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Sun 27 Apr 2014, 00:25

Bored tonight are you Kes? Wink

James, I've never heard of Elk Fest, but it looks *great*!

It's a difficult question for me. I like playing a lot of different games (you might have noticed) I don't really settle on a few favourites. I guess KOT, Jamaica, Love Letter and Hanabi have had the most plays out of my collection, but that doesn't necessarily make them my favourites.

Out of all the games I have, the one I would be most upset at losing would be my set of Mahjong. I have a great deal of nostalgia for playing it with my family as a child: the bricks that look like tidy portions of lemon meringue pie; the clack of tile on tile as I build a new set of walls with my Mum, whilst my brother slacks off and plays the piano instead; the constant teasing that there's no point collecting bamboo as young Elizabeth will never *ever* throw away a bamboo birdie (they're so cute!)...

*goes all misty-eyed*

So I guess Mahjong.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Sun 27 Apr 2014, 00:31

I was at work. I thing you are talking about favourite physical game as oppose to favourite game. Are tiu as equally attached to all mah jong or just that set?
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Sun 27 Apr 2014, 02:02

Playing with any set would induce the same nostalgia (though my copy's obviously the best).

It's by no means the best game, that's a whole different question. Strip it down and mechanically it's pretty ordinary. There just isn't another game that I'm attached to in quite the same way.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 27 Apr 2014, 08:08

Twilight imperium 3rd edition

Sci-fi theme 
Deep strategy
Exploration & expansion
Technology development
And most importantly - one of the best player interaction experiences.

It's amazing how heated it can get over a cardboard hexagon.

Ok it takes forever but I don't think it has ever dragged and to me shows commitment to the hobby Wink

Admin
Starting player token

https://www.sheffieldboardgamers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 27 Apr 2014, 10:15

So difficult to choose between games that are so different, but I think my current favourite is probably Dominion. I do enjoy the replayability that comes from playing with lots of different combinations of cards (and there are so many that I'm yet to try), it works great as a 2-player game and it's not bad to teach or have a quick game of.

However, based on playing it once, I think there's a good chance that Terra Mystica could become my new favourite game in time (again, looks to have great replayability). Does lose out on those teachability and "quick game" criteria though...
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

http://www.antigeek.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 27 Apr 2014, 10:19

But Dominion can be spoilt... really easily...

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 27 Apr 2014, 13:52

Aneurin wrote:But Dominion can be spoilt... really easily...
Now I'm intrigued (pardon the pun  Cool ). Would you care to elaborate...? I must admit that I haven't played Dominion with any "hard core" gamers so if there's an "always wins" strategy then I haven't found it...
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sun 27 Apr 2014, 14:14

Just try getting nothing but either silver or gold (the best you can afford). Then when you have a fist full of gold or your opponent starts buying provinces... Buy them all Wink

Sadly it works more times than it doesn't.

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Sun 27 Apr 2014, 14:26

Really hard to put my finger on a single favourite. I love so many of them and love all of those mentioned so far with the exception of the two I haven't played).

Probably, at the moment, it's Lords of Waterdeep (with the expansion).
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 27 Apr 2014, 14:34

Aneurin wrote:Just try getting nothing but either silver or gold (the best you can afford). Then when you have a fist full of gold or your opponent starts buying provinces... Buy them all Wink

Sadly it works more times than it doesn't.

Hmmm, I've been down this route with friends in a few games. I would say that it can sometimes work if there aren't very many attack cards out there, but there are usually better strategies (or good counters) to be found.
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  paulyg Sun 27 Apr 2014, 14:35

Bunglebogs wrote:Really hard to put my finger on a single favourite. I love so many of them and love all of those mentioned so far with the exception of the two I haven't played).

Oooh, I want to try the expansion. Consider that a request for a future week  Smile 
paulyg
paulyg
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Sun 27 Apr 2014, 14:50

paulyg wrote:
Bunglebogs wrote:Really hard to put my finger on a single favourite. I love so many of them and love all of those mentioned so far with the exception of the two I haven't played).

Oooh, I want to try the expansion. Consider that a request for a future week  Smile 

Definitely!
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Sun 27 Apr 2014, 16:35

So far everyone's only mentioned games I've either not played or don't like. I've obviously got this hobby all wrong!

I've been thinking what game I'd pick out of the ones I'm currently playing (as opposed to nostalgic about) and I think I'd go with Kemet.

It's fast paced with a good dose of player interaction. There's a lot of depth and strategy, but it doesn't take itself at all seriously. And it looks great! It just ticks all the boxes for me.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Sun 27 Apr 2014, 16:39

Kemet is on my really want to play list. I played Cyclades a while ago and really liked it and was tempted to buy the C2K expansion while in the States despite not owning either game. Smile I'll be adding them in due course and it may well become my favourite then. :-)
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Sun 27 Apr 2014, 16:58

I've not played Cyclades, so if you get it, I'm up for it! Always happy to bring Kemet in too.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Wargamer Sun 27 Apr 2014, 17:59

Elk Fest is indeed great. I will, however, have to change my choice to Combat Commander.

Or maybe A Distant Plain.
James Wargamer
James Wargamer
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  karl_b Mon 28 Apr 2014, 10:11

Difficult decision. I really like worker placement games, Agricola (shut it Anuerin!) and The Manhattan Project are right up there among my favourites. I'm also a massive fan of Eclipse, haven't played it in a little while but went through a phase of playing it a fair but earlier in the year (Kes - we need to arrange something); I love the exploration, resource gathering and ship-building which result in a crescendo of destruction (of which I'm often the victim) in the last round. On a similar theme but totally different mechanics, Race for the Galaxy is brilliant - once you understand the symbology it's a fairly quick game with massive replayability and great expansions. However, my favourite is between Ticket to Ride: Europe and Catan. Both are games that appeal to gamers and non-gamers alike which is a massive bonus as it means they get played more regularly. Catan just edges it, I like the trading, the inevitable "I've got wood", the resource collecting and building. I like that there are different ways to gain the points required to win and the expansions mean it rarely gets repetitive.
karl_b
karl_b
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lizzy Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:40

Bunglebogs wrote:Probably, at the moment, it's Lords of Waterdeep (with the expansion).

If you like LoW have you considered Yedo Paul? It's supposed to be like LoW but better in every way. I was going to get it but I was put off by the price, and the lengthy play time.
Lizzy
Lizzy
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PaulC Mon 28 Apr 2014, 11:58

CocoaCocoabo wrote:
Bunglebogs wrote:Probably, at the moment, it's Lords of Waterdeep (with the expansion).

If you like LoW have you considered Yedo Paul? It's supposed to be like LoW but better in every way. I was going to get it but I was put off by the price, and the lengthy play time.

No, I hadn't spotted that one, but does look interesting. I'll add it to my wanted list. Smile
PaulC
PaulC
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  TwoDaemon Mon 28 Apr 2014, 12:47

SPACE ALERT.

SPACE.

ALERT.

In general I like games in which the mechanics encourage or force player interaction on the human level. If you can play effectively while ignoring everyone around the table (or treating them as a sort of game playing robot) I'm usually not interested. Space Alert is a game where the entire core skill requirement is communication, and it is beautiful.

TwoDaemon
Indigo Barrel
Indigo Barrel

http://twodaemon.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon 28 Apr 2014, 12:52

TwoDaemon wrote:SPACE ALERT.

SPACE.

ALERT.

In general I like games in which the mechanics encourage or force player interaction on the human level. If you can play effectively while ignoring everyone around the table (or treating them as a sort of game playing robot) I'm usually not interested. Space Alert is a game where the entire core skill requirement is communication, and it is beautiful.

Twilight Imperium then Wink

Admin
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Mon 28 Apr 2014, 12:59

Still need to play space alert
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 28 Apr 2014, 13:46

Kes wrote:Still need to play space alert

As do I Smile

As for my favourite game? I have no idea at all -that changes by mood and day in all honesty! Over the past year I've been introduced to entirely too many new games that I've really enjoyed but not necessarily played enough to get a true feeling of it.

Resistance (or Avalon) is probably my most *played* game but as for favorite? probably not...

I think I would probably go with Battlestar Galactica, although I haven't played that in far too long.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next