Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video game accounts etc

+16
Dale
swilbur
Samuel_C
Kes
AntW
JohnH
Fergus
paulyg
Margarida
SamVS
Andrew_Wilko
Jamie
DaveB
Scott_Fryer
PaulC
Arun Cheesus
20 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Video game accounts etc - Page 2 Empty Re: Video game accounts etc

Post  SamVS Mon 20 Mar 2017, 15:53

I had never heard of Space Engineers, Ant, but you seem to like it! Smile Looks cool.

I want to play DayZ but I'm in cheapskate mode and don't want to pay £23 for it. If it comes up in a sale, though, we should play it, Kes.

I see a couple of us already have the Left 4 Dead games, Dawn of War + Dark Crusade, Company of Heroes, Borderlands 2, Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light, and then there are the free to play games like Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, Evolve, Warframe, and all the rest.

It would be cool if a few of us could get together one evening on one team and wreck some havoc/nobly fall on the fields of battle as brothers in arms. Or something like that.

The Left 4 Deads especially are ones I've only played with randos, but I reckon are 20x more fun if you try and play a somewhat coordinated game with people you know. Anyone want to give it a go?

Or something else. I'm open to suggestions. Playing an RTS with 4 or 5 players, maybe in teams, should be a laugh.

SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 20 Mar 2017, 15:56

Sam wrote:I had never heard of Space Engineers, Ant, but you seem to like it! Smile Looks cool.

I want to play DayZ but I'm in cheapskate mode and don't want to pay £23 for it. If it comes up in a sale, though, we should play it, Kes.

I see a couple of us already have the Left 4 Dead games, Dawn of War + Dark Crusade, Company of Heroes, Borderlands 2, Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light, and then there are the free to play games like Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, Evolve, Warframe, and all the rest.

It would be cool if a few of us could get together one evening on one team and wreck some havoc/nobly fall on the fields of battle as brothers in arms. Or something like that.

The Left 4 Deads especially are ones I've only played with randos, but I reckon are 20x more fun if you try and play a somewhat coordinated game with people you know. Anyone want to give it a go?

Or something else. I'm open to suggestions. Playing an RTS with 4 or 5 players, maybe in teams, should be a laugh.

Used to do 4P runs at Left4Dead 1+2 most weeks, it's a lot better with friends than randos, but really needs for everyone to have a mic. Not played in a while but definitely would be up for doing it again, L4D2 in particular I hugely enjoyed.

Would probably be up for Borderlands 1/2 as well - I have them both but never really go into the second one - might be fun to try it again.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Mon 20 Mar 2017, 16:48

DaveB wrote:
Sam wrote:I had never heard of Space Engineers, Ant, but you seem to like it! Smile Looks cool.

Used to do 4P runs at Left4Dead 1+2 most weeks, it's a lot better with friends than randos, but really needs for everyone to have a mic. Not played in a while but definitely would be up for doing it again, L4D2 in particular I hugely enjoyed.

Would probably be up for Borderlands 1/2 as well - I have them both but never really go into the second one - might be fun to try it again.
I'd definitely be up for some Borderlands 1 or 2, or Left for Dead 2, or something else. Also I have a headset/mic.
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Mon 20 Mar 2017, 17:38

Sounds good to me. I've got a mic. It's preferable to use one, but I don't really mind if other people don't.

What's a good day, then? Tuesday? Wait, am I already doing something on Tuesday? Now what was it...

Thursday, or Friday, or Sunday?

One more space left for Left For Dead or Borderlands, sign up now! Smile
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Mon 20 Mar 2017, 17:41

I'd be up for some online shenanigans some time. Have way too many games on Steam so just poke me.
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 20 Mar 2017, 17:51

Sam wrote:Sounds good to me. I've got a mic. It's preferable to use one, but I don't really mind if other people don't.

What's a good day, then? Tuesday? Wait, am I already doing something on Tuesday? Now what was it...

Thursday, or Friday, or Sunday?

One more space left for Left For Dead or Borderlands, sign up now! Smile

Can't do Sunday - Thursday or Friday would probably be doable though Smile

DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Mon 20 Mar 2017, 19:50

Friday would be best for me Smile
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Mon 20 Mar 2017, 23:16

Im up for playing something on Friday, any preferences?
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Mon 20 Mar 2017, 23:22

I'd vote for Left 4 Dead 2 but wouldn't object to Borderlands/2 Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 21 Mar 2017, 08:48

DaveB wrote:I'd vote for Left 4 Dead 2 but wouldn't object to Borderlands/2 Smile

Have dusted off and installed L4D2 and BL2 pending an accord on what to play Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  AntW Tue 21 Mar 2017, 09:41

I should be around Friday evening, for various games.

I feel like I might have the chance to finally beat Magicka 1/2, if people have them?
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Tue 21 Mar 2017, 09:49

AntW wrote:I should be around Friday evening, for various games.

I feel like I might have the chance to finally beat Magicka 1/2, if people have them?
Playing through the story of Magicka in coop is some of the most fun I have ever had playing video games
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Tue 21 Mar 2017, 13:37

DaveB wrote:
Have dusted off and installed L4D2 and BL2 pending an accord on what to play Smile

Me too. Left 4 Dead 2 would be my first pick. Though we have five now. Anyone else out there going to join us? Maybe get a second group playing. Or TF2 has the co-op vs. AI mode, Mann vs. Machine, which plays six. Evolve is free-to-play and is L4D-y but with one player controlling a monster, so plays five. Or someone can come and play Portal 2 or Lara Croft Co-Op with me while the others play L4D.

I'm definitely up for Magica, though I don't have it yet. Anyone seen any good deals?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 21 Mar 2017, 13:41

Sam wrote:
DaveB wrote:

Me too. Left 4 Dead 2 would be my first pick. Though we have five now. Anyone else out there going to join us? Maybe get a second group playing. Or TF2 has the co-op vs. AI mode, Mann vs. Machine, which plays six. Evolve is free-to-play and is L4D-y but with one player controlling a monster, so plays five. Or someone can come and play Portal 2 or Lara Croft Co-Op with me while the others play L4D.

I'm definitely up for Magica, though I don't have it yet. Anyone seen any good deals?

It's been long enough since I played Portal 2 co-op that I think I've probably forgotten it all so wouldn't ruin your fun if I went through it with you. Never played Evolve although I own it from the pre-FtP days so wouldn't mind checking that out too. I'll get them installing as well, just in case. Might even have the Lara Croft co-op but I'll have to check on that.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Tue 21 Mar 2017, 14:46

Quite a few options now! I'm happy with any of them really, in particular I'd happily play any of L4D2, Borderlands 2 or Magicka. Not quite as fussed about Evolve, but happy to give it a go if it gets the nod.
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Tue 21 Mar 2017, 14:53

I have a giftable copy of Magicka 2, still not played it yet.

Also how are we going to roll the voice coms? can Skype or Discord or something
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 21 Mar 2017, 14:54

Arun Cheesus wrote:I have a giftable copy of Magicka 2, still not played it yet.

For L4D2? Gotta be the inbuilt voice tools surely, given it allows the game to interact with them (such as the awesome storm level)
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Tue 21 Mar 2017, 15:02

DaveB wrote:
Arun Cheesus wrote:I have a giftable copy of Magicka 2, still not played it yet.

For L4D2? Gotta be the inbuilt voice tools surely, given it allows the game to interact with them (such as the awesome storm level)
For non-L4D2 we could just use Steam's voice chat, I've used that lots of times when playing with friends, it works fine.
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 21 Mar 2017, 15:06

Samuel wrote:For non-L4D2 we could just use Steam's voice chat, I've used that lots of times when playing with friends, it works fine.

Agreed - that's usually my go-to when playing pretty much anything else Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Tue 21 Mar 2017, 16:07

What's magicka?
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Tue 21 Mar 2017, 16:19

Kes wrote:What's magicka?

A serious*, highly tactical*, and realistic* simulation of battling wizards. It's great**.

* these claims are only true when comparing it to https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/112686/

** this claim is objectively true.

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Tue 21 Mar 2017, 17:30

I'mma install Evolve: Stage 2 as well, cause it seems to be ideal in the case that we have five players. We've got options for less than five, and more than five can split, but five is awkward.

Plus, the game seems really cool. It's got mixed reviews on Steam, but I think it looks cools, which means it must be misunderstood, not bad, ha.

A lot of the reviews seem to be talking about the pricing model. Full price games with micro-transactions seem to really upset some people (which was the case before it went free-to-play).

One review:

Mr. Fahrenheit wrote:Great Game, Solid all round in gameplay, competitive and a lot of replayability with different strats/compesitions.

Unfortunately the pricing model is disgusting for the game and dlc.

Rating: Not Recommended.

Pretty much every review says something like "Game had so much potential, but...", and then complaints about microtransations, or about the size of the playerbase (not a problem if we have all five players between us), or about the game not being updated anymore.

There are a few questions about balance, and about server stability, the latter which might be a concern, though I'll report back when I've tested it on my computer.

General Winter wrote:i wish this game didn't have to die, thats all im going to say

It sounds like a good game that was mismanaged, and that's part of what makes me keen to try it out!
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Tue 21 Mar 2017, 17:46

That is kind of right. I remember neing excited about it. But it is 100% a game that needs a consistent community to survive as it is pure PvP but the people that could have made up that community kinda got shit on in the beginning and abandoned it, leaving the game basically to die.
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Wed 22 Mar 2017, 18:21

So me, Dave and Arun were thinking 7pm on Friday? Does that work for you, Ant/Samuel? It's L4D2 with 4, or Evolve with 5, so everyone make sure you have them installed!
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  AntW Wed 22 Mar 2017, 21:20

Works for me!
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down