Sheffield Board Games Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Video game accounts etc

+16
Dale
swilbur
Samuel_C
Kes
AntW
JohnH
Fergus
paulyg
Margarida
SamVS
Andrew_Wilko
Jamie
DaveB
Scott_Fryer
PaulC
Arun Cheesus
20 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Video game accounts etc - Page 3 Empty Re: Video game accounts etc

Post  Samuel_C Wed 22 Mar 2017, 21:39

Yep works for me too!

Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sat 25 Mar 2017, 11:33

Rocky start. Unfortunately we didn't manage to game with Dave. Evolve was not working on his computer, which left us with four players for the five player game and five players for the four player game. Dave dropped out (sorry!), but I've promised him a spot in the next L4D game.

We played Evolve once with an AI monster. I don't think the game quite shined in our one play of it. It is rather pretty and atmospheric — as the dropship doors open beneath you at the start on the match onto the huge barren monster habitat you feel like you are entering Skull Island or something. But the chases and the fights and the chase-fight cycle felt... shallow? I'm sure there is much more going on when you know what you are doing, but I don't think anyone was that fussed about playing again, at least not against the AI.

Left 4 Dead 2 is as fun as ever. We made pretty short work of chapters 1-3 of Dead Center on Advanced difficulty, with a few small setbacks such as when I accidentally incinerated my three teammates in a small room with a tank, or when Arun managed to kill me by shooting me point-blank in the back when I had one HP (I had kept myself alive for so long, too!).

The finale crushed us, though. I don't even know where to start with that one! There just didn't seem to be a moment of respite. I think carrying one or two of the fuel cans from the ground floor to use offensively for efficient zombie eradication would be useful. And maybe leaving some near spawn points on the ground floor? And basically being more coordinated. We didn't really need to in the other chapters, but I think going around the level in the finale we could think about who goes in front, who watches the back, who has what weapon (shotguns in front, rifles in back?), who calls out the threats, and who picks up the cans etc. Go all Rainbow Six on that shit.

Anyway, I had great fun. Ant and Arun seemed to know what they were doing more than me and Samuel, but it was a laugh, even having to rescue Samuel from acid way more times than seemed possible (I think I saw you downed in acid more times than I actually saw spitters Laughing )

Anyone want to play again next week? L4D2 again, or whatever interests people, really. I'm easy.

If anyone else is interested in videogames, speak up. It's actually easier to arrange different games of different sizes when you have more people.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Sat 25 Mar 2017, 16:57

Sam wrote:
We played Evolve once with an AI monster. I don't think the game quite shined in our one play of it. It is rather pretty and atmospheric — as the dropship doors open beneath you at the start on the match onto the huge barren monster habitat you feel like you are entering Skull Island or something. But the chases and the fights and the chase-fight cycle felt... shallow? I'm sure there is much more going on when you know what you are doing, but I don't think anyone was that fussed about playing again, at least not against the AI.
Yes I concur, Evolve didn't really grab me - nothing really stood out, not even the monsters, which is a shame. It all seemed a bit bland to me really. But yes, quite pretty to look at.

Sam wrote:
Left 4 Dead 2 is as fun as ever. We made pretty short work of chapters 1-3 of Dead Center on Advanced difficulty, with a few small setbacks such as when I accidentally incinerated my three teammates in a small room with a tank, or when Arun managed to kill me by shooting me point-blank in the back when I had one HP (I had kept myself alive for so long, too!).

The finale crushed us, though. I don't even know where to start with that one! There just didn't seem to be a moment of respite. I think carrying one or two of the fuel cans from the ground floor to use offensively for efficient zombie eradication would be useful. And maybe leaving some near spawn points on the ground floor? And basically being more coordinated. We didn't really need to in the other chapters, but I think going around the level in the finale we could think about who goes in front, who watches the back, who has what weapon (shotguns in front, rifles in back?), who calls out the threats, and who picks up the cans etc. Go all Rainbow Six on that shit.

Anyway, I had great fun. Ant and Arun seemed to know what they were doing more than me and Samuel, but it was a laugh, even having to rescue Samuel from acid way more times than seemed possible (I think I saw you downed in acid more times than I actually saw spitters Laughing )
Hehe yes I think I need some L4D2 practise! Despite having never actually played it before (no I'm not sure how I've managed that either...), I found it hugely enjoyable, even though I was, as Arun pointed out, a liability at times. I'm determined to do better next time!

But yes that last part was a nightmare, everything spawning at all the wrong moments and generally just wreaking havoc on us. I agree, more coordination would probably help, particularly when dealing with the tougher monsters, we just couldn't seem to deal with them.

Sam wrote:
Anyone want to play again next week? L4D2 again, or whatever interests people, really. I'm easy.
Definitely up for some more next week! Totally fine with L4D2 again.
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Sun 26 Mar 2017, 00:36

Was rather frustrating I have to admit. Didn't have much luck tracking the error down - lots of people complaining about the same problem but the proposed fixes didn't really do much of anything at all on my system, same as a lot of the folks online.

Not the end of the world though - from what I saw in the tutorial I wasn't hugely impressed anyway Smile

Shame to miss L4D2 though - been a long time since I last played but used to have a cracking time with it in the past, definitely would enjoy playing that one again. Not sure I can do next week but will try.
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

https://boardgamegeek.com/user/ch1ma3ra

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Mon 27 Mar 2017, 12:30

I'm up for something sometime.
Dale
Dale
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Fri 31 Mar 2017, 22:26

https://www.humblebundle.com/hooked-on-multiplayer-bundle
Think i'm gonna grab this bundle, nice bunch of random multiplayer games on there and am definitely interested in Helldivers after some recommendations from friends. Dunno if anyone else is interested.
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Fri 31 Mar 2017, 23:50

I'd seen Helldivers but must have subconsciously dismissed without knowing anything about it. But this description:

HELLDIVERSâ„¢ is a hardcore, cooperative, twin stick shooter from the creators of Magicka.

...makes it sound incredibly cool. I'm tempted. I don't care about anything else in the bundle, but £8 for Helldivers wouldn't be bad anyway.

Not sure yet. Got lots of other games to play at the moment, and I probably shouldn't be playing them as much as I am anyway!
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  AntW Sat 01 Apr 2017, 21:53

I picked up the bundle the other day. Go me!

Alien Swarm is very much like Helldivers, but F2P. We should check that out sometime.
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  swilbur Sun 02 Apr 2017, 10:06

AntW wrote:Alien Swarm is very much like Helldivers

That's the best advertisement I've seen yet for Helldivers, but after reading the Steam reviews it looks like Alien Swarm was better executed. There are complaints about the camera, the Pay to Win DLC, and the massively multiplayer aspect of Helldivers. (Of course, 'very similar to Alien Swarm' is a sufficient recommendation to get me to try it despite those complaints.)

Edit: Tried it, Alien Swarm is still better. However, Alien Swarm only has a limited number of missions (1 official campaign plus fan-made ones of various quality) so Helldivers wins on replayability with its procedural missions. Also, presumably there's a larger player base in Helldivers. I'll add my voice to the calls to organize a game of it.

swilbur
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  AntW Thu 06 Apr 2017, 13:16

So, Helldivers, Alien Swam or L4D2 this Friday?
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Thu 06 Apr 2017, 13:19

AntW wrote:So, Helldivers, Alien Swam or L4D2 this Friday?

Unfortunately I have my parents coming up this weekend so I'm going to be frantically tidying and cleaning!
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Thu 06 Apr 2017, 15:43

I don't have Helldivers, but I'm up for L4D2 or Alien Swarm.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Samuel_C Thu 06 Apr 2017, 23:12

I'm busy this Friday unfortunately Sad another time though!
Samuel_C
Samuel_C
Yellow Warsun
Yellow Warsun

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Fri 07 Apr 2017, 01:16

Ooo, Magika 1 and 2 both on sale. (£1.99 and £3.73, respectively). I'll get Magicka 1 it if two or three of you are up for playing it sometime. Alternatively, I think Arun wanted to play Magicka 2. It seems to be less liked than the first, but I'm up for either.
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Fri 07 Apr 2017, 07:40

Wow Magicka has -all- the DLC doesn't it!

I'm up for giving it a punt

EDIT: Picked up the first one

Last edited by DaveB on Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:09; edited 1 time in total
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Fri 07 Apr 2017, 09:24

I'd be interested
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

http://www.kesSmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AntW Fri 07 Apr 2017, 10:06

Magicka 1 is great! Granted 2 isn't as good as the first, but I enjoy it, way too difficult to play solo though!
AntW
AntW
Red Meeple
Red Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Fri 07 Apr 2017, 14:37

Cool, I got Magicka 1 Smile
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Sat 08 Apr 2017, 00:48

Got it too
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Arun Cheesus Sat 08 Apr 2017, 13:17

I love me some Magicka. Im in for it whenever. Wasn't available yesterday cus I was drinking due to it being last day of term. Smile
Arun Cheesus
Arun Cheesus
Green Cowboy Meeple
Green Cowboy Meeple

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Sat 08 Apr 2017, 19:40

Cool, that's four of us, provisionally: me, Dave, Kes, Arun. Next Thursday or Friday?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Kes Sun 09 Apr 2017, 00:00

I'm away next week
Kes
Kes
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveB Tue 11 Apr 2017, 10:54

Sam wrote:Cool, that's four of us, provisionally: me, Dave, Kes, Arun. Next Thursday or Friday?

I'm away Friday, and probably packing on Thursday Smile
DaveB
DaveB
Starting player token

Back to top Go down

Post  SamVS Tue 18 Apr 2017, 13:46

This week, anyone?
SamVS
SamVS
Count of Carcassonne